First 123 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post

Hmmm, what else? The more you eat healthy food, the more you crave it. It's true.
    That's interesting. I've been eating healthier lately and I've noticed this. Before I'd be indifferent to foods like carrots and apples but make myself eat them anyway because I knew they would be good for me. Guess what, I'm actually starting to think thoughts like "I could go for a juicy apple right now" when I never used to have that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post

It also helps to be surrounded by obese people eating junk. Nothing motivates me to eat right like leaving the house and seeing a bunch of obsese people inhaling some fast food. It seriously freaks me out. This started I think when I worked in a grocery store and I noticed how disgusting some people's diets were.

All of this can go into the psychological de-training. But it's a process, it doesn't happen overnight.
    It's not just the obese people. I've seen plenty of thin people eating junk. Maybe the thin people just have really fast metabolisms or they don't each much quantity of food overall, but it still isn't healthy. Some of those thin junk food eating people are young but as they get older if they keep doing what they're doing they will likely gain weight.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I have been (arguably) eating healthier lately and rather than craving healthy food I just no longer have cravings for anything, food is just food. I don't spend my morning thinking about the vending machine. I think sugar has highly addictive qualities.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Ive had to really change my perception drastically from "eating food because it tastes good" to "eating food as fuel". Everything that is sweet and pretty much everything that I like is terrible for me. So I have to get it out of my mind that I'm eating for flavor. I'm eating things that are going to be best for my body. Thats not to say that everything I have to eat has to taste bad. But I can't eat things JUST because they're delicious.

I'm trying to train myself into thinking like that for the rest of my life. Want a piece of candy? No. Thats offers zero nutritional value to my body. Pasta? No. That's horrible for my body.

Assessing food based on it's value.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Well, I think we view food the same way that we view any other thing that makes us feel good, and despite a lot of evidence that it doesn't work, the whole donkey/carrot approach is still the most common motivation method...

Instead of eating a whole bag of cheap potato chips that aren't even that good, I eat a small bowl of the more expensive potato chips I adore.
    Don't eat celery for a week then splurge on two days of nothing but cake, eat HEALTHIER meals with occasional small bad-for-you snacks.
    Don't eliminate mashed potatoes completely from you meals, just eat a small serving of delicious rosemary/garlic home-made mashed potatoes instead of a family-sized tup from KFC.

Then cutting back doesn't feel like punishment and you're building good, sustainable habits that still allow your to really enjoy life.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I like the philosophy of eating food mindfully - i.e. only eating "bad" food if it's really, truly delicious (and considering it a small, occasional treat, not a daily menu). I don't like the idea of beating yourself up over what you eat afterwards - may as well enjoy it, you're stuck with the calories. The time to think about it is beforehand.

I'm not very good at following that philosophy though - everything seems OMG delicious to me. I do try to fill myself up with better foods at mealtimes at least, so I (hopefully) don't turn into a starving person mindlessly shoving down any food within reach.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I have never done this. I enjoy everything I eat, unless it tastes badly.

The closest thing that registers in my mind is when an adult talks of putting soap in a child's mouth for cursing (being bad). I've never had this happen to me though but thought it was a cruel idea as a child.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You know what is ironic about you people torturing yourself over "what tastes good"? Like ninety something percent of French people report that they enjoy their food, while less than half Americans report the same, yet French people are on average thinner.

There is no crime in enjoying your food. "Eating for fuel" seems robotic and weirdly masochistic and Puritanical or something.

I'm not sure it works, either. It seems like if you're the sort of person who likes food and you forced yourself into this mentality you'd eventually start binging because you'd feel so deprived.

Eating just has to be more balanced, it's not like this "oh I must force myself to live off of raw carrots and hemp seeds."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Chiharu View Post
    Well, I think we view food the same way that we view any other thing that makes us feel good, and despite a lot of evidence that it doesn't work, the whole donkey/carrot approach is still the most common motivation method...

Instead of eating a whole bag of cheap potato chips that aren't even that good, I eat a small bowl of the more expensive potato chips I adore.
    Don't eat celery for a week then splurge on two days of nothing but cake, eat HEALTHIER meals with occasional small bad-for-you snacks.
    Don't eliminate mashed potatoes completely from you meals, just eat a small serving of delicious rosemary/garlic home-made mashed potatoes instead of a family-sized tup from KFC.

Then cutting back doesn't feel like punishment and you're building good, sustainable habits that still allow your to really enjoy life.
    You've got the right idea.

ThatGirl

The way I view food is like delegating a task to my stomach. Here you work on this handful of peanuts for the next few hours while I do this. I find myself telling TK he can have something sweet IF....but I don't really govern myself the same way. Probably because fatty or overly sweet foods and a full belly make me feel more like shit. I don't see it as rewarding at all.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Isn't there a way to break out of these mindsets and view food for what it is, sustenance? Instead of going from one extreme to the other of eat crap then diet, why not just moderate your daily intake?
    I havent read any replies yet so bare with me.

I think part of it is that you're raised with this aspect.. "If you're good, you'll get mcdonalds!" 'It's your birthday, so it's okay to cheat a little.' Sort of thing. We also tend to always make enough for an army no matter who is eating--just look at the typical BBQ people throw.
    The other part is that people are just extreme beings in general. Moderation is the best way to almost anything in life, I have discovered.. but human beings are not moderate people. That part takes patience, learning, and dedication to changing something not so natural until it becomes natural.. We, as people, aren't exactly known for being amazing at that.

I think the easiest way we're changing is with trendy cook books and shows, to be honest. It's been awful for truly good dieting in the sense of weight-loss pills and shit, but the trendy things like the "cook yourself thin" shows have really shown people how to take the 'good stuff' and turn it into 'good food' as well. No compromising, just looking at things in a different way and enjoying it. Just getting the information out there that cooking healthy IS easy (but not effortless), and CAN taste great. The trendier the education gets, the more it spreads, and thus the more it catches on.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge