• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Advantages of smoking

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I still smoke...And I work out...(I also only smoke like a pack a month if that helps) lol

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Smoking most definitely has psychological benefits. It enables you to calm down during stressful situations. Smoking is basically a comfort food, so it may not be good for your body, but it stabilizes your psyche, even if only for a few moments. Keep in mind, I don't smoke, I never liked the taste of it, but I drink Diet Mountain Dew instead, which I imagine produces a similar psychological effect. It's something that I enjoy drinking to the point that it's addicting, and an addiction to something produces a comforting effect.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
DEFINITLEY conversation over cigarettes and coffee!!! One of my friends and I do that several times a week and I really enjoy it- coffee and cigarettes complement each other so well! :)

And the two best cigarettes a day? The first one in the morning and the one after dinner :) I've tried to quit a few times, but I really missed those two- and I missed the conversations I got into then and couldn't quite get into otherwise :(

Judous

MBTI Type
INTP
DEFINITLEY conversation over cigarettes and coffee!!! One of my friends and I do that several times a week and I really enjoy it- coffee and cigarettes complement each other so well! :)

And the two best cigarettes a day? The first one in the morning and the one after dinner :) I've tried to quit a few times, but I really missed those two- and I missed the conversations I got into then and couldn't quite get into otherwise :(

oh my god, there is nothing better than a smoke with a beer, or coffee..

damnit >_< your making this harder lol

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
- Smokers form social subgroups. During smoke-breaks, we often had most interesting discussions that non-smokers don't seem to have.
Ironically, I had that benefit from not smoking. I worked at place (several years ago) where there were only 4 of us that didn't smoke. We had our lunch and coffee breaks at a separate time from the smokers, so we got to be pretty good friends with our regular discussions (and they were interesting).

In the 3 months that I tried to get addicted to smoking (because it was cool) I noticed that smoking is a great activity to retreat into your introversion and focus inward, even if you're coughing the whole time. ;)
So is that like introverted sensing, extroverted phlegming?

As far as benefits, I'm surprised no one has mentioned ulcerative colitis (a cause of irritable bowel syndrome). Smokers have a lower risk of ulcerative colitis than non-smokers. They've determined that it's the nicotine, since nicotine gum or patches have the same effect. Ironically, Crohn's disease, another cause of irritable bowel, is made worse by nicotine. So if you have IBS, smoking can make it better or worse, depending on the cause.

My dad smoked for 25 years then quit (when I was still an infant). He quit coffee at the same time, since the coffee and cigarettes go hand-in-hand (he was also trying to kick the caffeine). He actually had almost no trouble at all quitting the cigarettes; he just didn't smoke them again. But he had a hellacious time giving up coffee.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Has anyone mentioned that smoking makes you look cool?

I know, when I'm in public, puffing on my pipe, all the ladies give me looks.

please someone get it...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:thelook: that's because it's NOT A PIPE isn't it! *gasp of horror*

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
* Challenges the lungs, keeps them from becoming sissies

* Tracheotomies are all the rage these days

* Relieves smoker from the duty of performing sexually, since smoker's wife associates smoky smell with her dead grandpa and can't get in the mood

Judous

MBTI Type
INTP
Anyone here successful with quitting smoking? I don't crave the nicotine.. im just trying to fight the habbit. Anyone have any tips?

Also I cant really use coffee to help either... im "dieting" right now as well

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
How much money do you have? I bought my husband an NJoy to help him quit. I'd like him to be around for as long as possible and smell less like my grandpa. *cough* They're not cheap, though.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
- Smokers form social subgroups. During smoke-breaks, we often had most interesting discussions that non-smokers don't seem to have.

Stephen King wrote a short story about people just transitioning out of smoking and it was turned into the movie with aliens with Roddy Roddy Piper and a pair of cheap sunglasses.

Now to the OP: The only advantages I can see are social. Now that smoking is illegal indoors (hell yeah!!!) at clubs and bars, you can just go outside and cruise the ladies. Life's never been so good for parkin lot pimps! Hahahaha. It's a party out there. It makes the clubs look more packed than it really is (good for the club) but you do get the advantage of seeing what the crowd is like before you go in (good for you)

And you can always use smoking as an excuse to push up on wimmins (and mens too) and bum cigarettes and offer cigarettes and lights. I think the sexual connotations are one reason why (straight) men generally don't light one another's cigarettes for them?

Otherwise, I'm too vain to smoke except when drinking. And only cause vices just go hand in hand in...hmm, I bet you could make a naughty joke here but I won't. Cause I'm a -- oh fug it, I bet Whatever is sick of my "I'm a lady" line by now.

Econmic advantages of smoking to 3rd parties are tremendous -- like creators of smokers gum, smoker's toothpaste, smoker's mouthwash, smoker's breath spray, tooth whiteners, veneers, lawyers, dermatologists, supplement makers, and health care professionals in general.

But to the people smoking? Curbs appetite, calms nerves temporarily?

alicia91

I quit smoking many years ago, but what worked for me was cutting back slowly (having my first after 9am, then the following week having my first at 10am, etc) and using nIcorette gum. I did this when I met my future husband - smoking was a deal-breaker for him.

sandwich

MBTI Type
INTP
I've often envied the social connection smokers seem to make- especially when I took an ancient history course from a chain smoker. The other smokers in the class had a camaraderie with her while the rest of us were kind of intimidated by her.

I've tried to come up with healthy alternatives. Maybe a lollipop club, or people addicted to blowing bubbles.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Hm, the lollipop club sounds tempting...
... something for my CV?

suzyk

MBTI Type
INTP
It's probably addictive, but I wouldn't want to spend my money or time on a fatal addiction. My dad used to smoke for 3 years or so, and he found it pretty damn hard to quit. He managed to quit anyways. He smoked for the fun of it, and because all his friends smoked too. Today, I see the kids outside my school smoking in groups, they don't seem to be talking about anything good [to me]. But it makes you look cool. That's probably all I have to say on the 'advantages' of smoking.