• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Things To Do Before 30

T

ThatGirl

I am going to be turning thirty in the next couple months and for those who haven't been paying attention, have been going through a mini mid life crisis since 27.

I am going to the gym about 4 times a week, and am planing to get a new hairstyle (going red), wardrobe, and for some odd reason my nails done.

But honestly, my 20s were awful, and I am just not willing to end a decade that way. When I look back on my twenties I want to remember something amazing.

What can I possibly do to make that happen in the next couple months?

*P.S. I am working with limited funds. Don't want to do anything financially retarded, like booking a last minute cruise to some tropical island. Lets keep it real here.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We are in the exact same boat. I turn 30 in July and am cracking the freakin whip on myself to get some meta-important things done.

I've dubbed this the Year of the Fantastic Freefall. I'm gonna take chances on all kinds of shit I've been too afraid to do till now, like love, career, locale, and taking charge of my health. And if it doesn't pan out? Oh well. I'll just dust off and try again. I'm in the process of taking multiple risks, which is actually a REALLY important thing for me to practice. Feels terrifying and great! Yay me!

/salutes you

Is there anything in particular YOU want to do before 30?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
ThatGirl said:
*P.S. I am working with limited funds. Don't want to do anything financially retarded, like booking a last minute cruise to some tropical island. Lets keep it real here.

That's generally less expensive than people might think. Cruises are mass tourism nowadays.

R

RDF

You can look up "bucket lists" for good ideas.

I favor things like getting basic certification in scuba diving, sky diving, hang gliding, etc. Memorable and brag-worthy.

Other fun ideas: Take dancing lessons for Argentine Tango or Salsa or Swing. Or take a gun course at a local range. Lessons in sailing, horseback riding, bowling. If a cruise is too expensive, then charter a local wildlife outing--anything from kayaking a local river to doing a hot air balloon ride. Good for getting to know the local area.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am going to be turning thirty in the next couple months and for those who haven't been paying attention, have been going through a mini mid life crisis since 27.

I am going to the gym about 4 times a week, and am planing to get a new hairstyle (going red), wardrobe, and for some odd reason my nails done.

But honestly, my 20s were awful, and I am just not willing to end a decade that way. When I look back on my twenties I want to remember something amazing.

What can I possibly do to make that happen in the next couple months?

Do you have any tats? Somehow, getting a tattoo eluded me for the whole 20's decade. I always wanted to get one, but I wanted it to be very unique and symbolic of personal growth. Now I'm 30 and I finally figured it out. (Not telling tho ;)

Aside from that, I'd say try to get out of your system things you think you should have done in your twenties but for whatever reason, didn't. Only you will know what these are.

T

ThatGirl

All excellent suggestions. I am currently looking into all of them right now. Trying to pick something.

I don't have tattoos, or piercings, and I am kind of hell bent on keeping it that way.

The cruise thing could be fun since I have never traveled. well, once to Texas, but I don't think that counts. I think the problem with a trip like that though is that it is one thing to buy the ticket, another for food, shopping (yes shopping), drinks, general living expenses.

I was thinking to maybe go see a ballet or hit up Vegas for the Phantom of the Opera too.

Taking it all in, hopefully decide soon. Seriously the list of things I haven't done is endless...

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Oh, and Iwakar we should totally go on a road trip.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All excellent suggestions. I am currently looking into all of them right now. Trying to pick something.

I don't have tattoos, or piercings, and I am kind of hell bent on keeping it that way.

The cruise thing could be fun since I have never traveled. well, once to Texas, but I don't think that counts. I think the problem with a trip like that though is that it is one thing to buy the ticket, another for food, shopping (yes shopping), drinks, general living expenses.

I was thinking to maybe go see a ballet or hit up Vegas for the Phantom of the Opera too.

Taking it all in, hopefully decide soon. Seriously the list of things I haven't done is endless...

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Oh, and Iwakar we should totally go on a road trip.

My mother tried to convince me to do the Vegas thing but she wanted to comewith. :dont: Now I'm using the week of my thirtieth birthday to move out of my apt. with my ex and to another state. I'm going to try to do it at the start of the week so I have time for fun things during the rest of my week off before I return to work.

zomg road trip!!!! :heart:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I relate to the OP. My twenties were not all that memorable and neither have been the start of my thirties. I'm 32 and feeling restless at this stage in my life. I know that I should make some changes and try some different things but I'm not exactly sure just what. Outside of work and sleeping I spend most of my spare time on the Internet or reading. I'd like to travel more but I don't really have a set destination in mind. I just want to go somewhere different for a change. I'd like to take some classes for fun. Maybe learn a foreign language or a craft. I'd also like to change my hairstyle and my wardrobe but to what exactly, I don't know.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some of my favorite memories are absolutely weird. This winter, I made a habit of going out in the freezing cold weather at night with my dog. I would bundle up in a ridiculous amount of layers and cover everything and take a couple of shots of rum, then I would lay in my lawn chair in the back yard and just stare up at the stars. A new favorite Se past time. Do some things out of the ordinary like that, break away from the routine, and you will feel refreshed and happy. :) (And doesn't require money.)

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
30 is the new 70. It's time to play bingo and talk endlessly about bodily functions. :)

Mole

Permabanned
Life Tasks in the East and West

In the literate West, our life tasks before 30 were to become financially and emotionally independent of our parents by establishing our own household and having our own children. By contrast in the spoken cultures of the East, parents were venerated and we remained dependent on them all our lives.

But as the West is now moving into the electronic spoken culture, children are reluctant to leave home. And as the East is becoming literate, we are now starting to establish individual households.

They told me East is East and West is West and ne'er the twain shall meet. But now East is moving West and West is moving East. And so our life tasks before 30 are moving too.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
My "OH MY GOD IM ABOUT TO TURN THIRTY WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE?!!!" resulted in me throwing in a really good job and going back to uni.

Doing something you've always put off because you've had other responsibilities (Like TK and being married) would be an awesome thing to do before you turn 30. The road trip idea with iwakar is also excellent. I hope you find lots of awesome fulfilling thigns to do. Be a little selfish for once, bugger it, you only turn 30 once.

Also by ex broke up with my days before my 30th, so i had to do all my stuff for a 31st LOL.

T

ThatGirl

Update: I have secured plans to take a trip up north visit some old friends and swim with dolphins. Go hang gliding. And a trip with another friend that may or may not happen, and the destination is as of yet unspecified. If I don't die, it should be a fun month!

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oh snap...I will be 30 in June :*(. Its a weird feeling huh?

T

ThatGirl

Feels like my life is half over. Which it actually is if you calculate the dissension of energy and efficiency as you get into your later years. The time spent actually living is equalized and I have probably about the same amount of applied time left.

:cheers:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually didn't mind turning 30; turning 25, and my mid-20's, sucked way more than my 30's so far. I spent most of my 20's being melancholy and trying to figure crap out, so I'm actually quite relieved to have put that period behind me. I've done WAY more since turning 30 than I did in my 20's. I also feel much more solid as a person.

Anyway, I made it a point to do something fun/different for my 30th b-day, so as to not be focusing on turning 30, or being by myself on that day and moping. I think the act of turning 30 also served as a bit of a wakeup call/impetus to get my life in order and make my life how I wanted it to be. It's always going to be a bit of a work-in-progress and constantly evolving thing -- life -- but again, I'm so fricking relieved to be done with my 20's.

To the OP and generally speaking - I tend to think/view life in this way: within reason and ability-level, it's never too late to do something. So, latch onto opportunities if they come your way, or create them/work towards them, and pepper your life with experiences that you want!

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Turning 30 is over rated, IMHO. Mind you my twenties were pretty eventful, so I can't complain. I did want to publish a book before I was 30, and that's about the only thing I didn't achieve on my personal to do list. I did decide, finally, what I want to do with my life though. It's taken me three years to impliment the first steps but it's all good.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah 30s are the time where you can take all your life experience and get some real stuff done... that's the theory anyway. :biggrin:

One of my favorite musicians is Bill Withers. His music career started when he was 32, before that he was in the Navy had never performed in front of a crowd. Robert Heinlein was 32 when he had his first story published.