• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Healthy Eating Challenge!

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I'm tempted to join this challenge as I could really improve my diet.

It would be useful if someone could throw me the link for the fancy chart webpage they are using :D

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Cool! :)

Wow, I just logged my foods for yesterday and I did pretty well without even trying:
Screenshot2011-05-19at93858AM.png

A bit high on the carbs, but ALMOST there on iron (need 18), so the extra iced mocha I had that put the carbs over was worth it for the iron it contained. ;)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
When I put my diet into that calculater it said I was already dead.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
thank you. what's the deal with this hara hachi bu thing?

It's a cultural habit practiced by the Okinawans that involves eating until they are 80% full. They call it hara hachi bu. They believe that people that stuff themselves are gluttons.

More importantly though, eating until 80% full makes it easy to eat more frequent, smaller meals. And since you are always just a little bit hungry, you can feel your body as it stays in a constant fat-burning mode. It's also a great exercise in learning how to read your body's hunger cues, since there's a difference between being very hungry (which can involve shakiness, a growling stomach, headaches, or a craving for a chicken salad) and being slightly hungry (feeling content, good energy, and a craving for junk foods).

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Another good day yesterday.... only red in potassium, way under my calorie goal, PLUS I did a vigorous workout. Woot! I hope I can keep this up...

Screenshot2011-05-20at94031AM.png

It's a cultural habit practiced by the Okinawans that involves eating until they are 80% full. They call it hara hachi bu. They believe that people that stuff themselves are gluttons.

More importantly though, eating until 80% full makes it easy to eat more frequent, smaller meals. And since you are always just a little bit hungry, you can feel your body as it stays in a constant fat-burning mode. It's also a great exercise in learning how to read your body's hunger cues, since there's a difference between being very hungry (which can involve shakiness, a growling stomach, headaches, or a craving for a chicken salad) and being slightly hungry (feeling content, good energy, and a craving for junk foods).

This sounds interesting, but I think the junk food cravings would be a problem for me... my biggest challenge with healthy eating is not eating too many sweets! I have tried doing 5 small meals a day instead of 3 larger ones, but it didn't take. :)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm.. I don't know if I'm really going to be participating, but i tried that calorie count and I got good scores with the exception of sodium and some vitamins. I imagine a multivitamin will fix that. I was surprised because I was sure I had just really stuffed myself in the evening, but I was only 36 calories over the weight loss calorie target. I think my eating schedule is unhealthy, I need to think about eating more snacks during the day instead of consuming the bulk of my calories in the evening. It shouldn't make a difference, but it definitely doesn't make me feel good.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:3 I havent been eating too healthy at ALL. :laugh: But!! I have been watching my calorie intake <3 Thats gotta count for something, right?

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Well, I have settled on a routine in which I consume between 40-60g of carbs per day. I have been decently consistent about eating 5-6 small meals instead of like 2 meals per day like I was. And I have upped my gym schedule to nearly daily. I have lost 18lbs in the past 2 months. I'm sure the diabetes medication is having an impact as well. If I could lose another 12lbs, I would be back to the weight I was in highschool before I had all those surgeries on my foot. That would be ideal.

My only concern, is that some of the very low-carb foods that I eat (such as shrimp) are very high in cholesterol. I feel like in the long-run this could be a problem. I need to find more low-carb & low cholesterol meals.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Well, I have settled on a routine in which I consume between 40-60g of carbs per day. I have been decently consistent about eating 5-6 small meals instead of like 2 meals per day like I was. And I have upped my gym schedule to nearly daily. I have lost 18lbs in the past 2 months. I'm sure the diabetes medication is having an impact as well. If I could lose another 12lbs, I would be back to the weight I was in highschool before I had all those surgeries on my foot. That would be ideal.

My only concern, is that some of the very low-carb foods that I eat (such as shrimp) are very high in cholesterol. I feel like in the long-run this could be a problem. I need to find more low-carb & low cholesterol meals.

A book I read some time ago, Good Calories, Bad Calories, makes the case that foods high in cholesterol don't actually lead to having high cholesterol; rather, the cause seems to be a host of other factors such as increased consumption of refined carbohydrates, etc. Distinct from the typical book on dieting, this book is well researched and gives a good history of nutritional research and the politics involved. I would recommend the book to anyone interested in science and nutrition, and at the very least, I would recommend you browse the internet on causes of high cholesterol and any pertinent studies. You might not need to worry at all!

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
A book I read some time ago, Good Calories, Bad Calories,

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to grab it on my Kindle.

I'm really pretty clueless about nutrition in general. So I appreciate the recommendation.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:3 Just from a medical standpoint, about 10% of your cholesterol comes from your diet.. the rest has to do with your body's natural build and genetics. Our doctor-teacher taught us that in A&P2, something I was not aware of either before then. If you're going to have high cholesterol in life, most likely your diet will have little influence on it.. it'll only add to a problem you'll already have. So I wouldn't worry too much over it.

As far as every diet/nutrition/anything book or show I've ever seen.. the seafood section is almost always 100% open to people with health concerns. It's like your free-reign section.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
second wave beach season soon.
i need to debloat. four types of
green leafy veggies only for about
3 days? thighs and butt. need more
sun to shine through.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Since the hypothalamus set point regulates body shape through homeostasis then it is in learning how the parasympathetic nervous system as the side of the autonomic nervous system responds to food stimuli in accordance with hypothalamus regulation and metabolism. Which is naturally determined further by blood typing and the kind of nutrients your body absorbs and needs be to sustain a healthy balance between stasis as we are each different yet same in our undertakings when it comes to healthy eating. Which is why diets of every caliber are bunk, the consistency deviates from person to person.

Rule of thumb is eat as natural as possible, consuming complex carbohydrates helps. For the more natural foods you consume the higher the vibrational energy the food contains. Or rather the higher the nutritional content there is. Processed food is processed to death and hence nutritional value erodes while natural foods that are eaten retain stronger aspects of nutrition.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
A book I read some time ago, Good Calories, Bad Calories, makes the case that foods high in cholesterol don't actually lead to having high cholesterol; rather, the cause seems to be a host of other factors such as increased consumption of refined carbohydrates, etc. Distinct from the typical book on dieting, this book is well researched and gives a good history of nutritional research and the politics involved. I would recommend the book to anyone interested in science and nutrition, and at the very least, I would recommend you browse the internet on causes of high cholesterol and any pertinent studies. You might not need to worry at all!

Or the tl:dr version "Why we get Fat"