• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Healthy Eating Challenge!

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I didn't do great after all yesterday.... for meals I did okay:
Breakfast: Cheerios and my customary nonfat mocha
Snack: Banana
Lunch: dried apricots, orange-mint rice salad, and 3 Dove Dark Chocolate squares
Dinner: Cassoulet and a spinach salad
But then I got my evening sweets craving and ate a bunch of chocolate chips. Meh.
I also think that had something to do with Aunt Flo though, who is currently visiting. :blush:

But I did go ceili dancing last night, so I probably worked off a bunch of those extra calories and burned the sugar...and I only had water to drink to so I didn't add any alcohol calories.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Lately this is roughly what I eat:

Breakfast: 2 Scrambled eggs with bacon pieces no bread
Lunch: Large handful of mixed nuts + some sunflower seeds, 100g of meat and 10 or so blueberries (I read recently that Blueberries inhibit fat storage).
Dinner: Some combination of meat and nonstarchy vegies.

After work snacks: Piece of milk chocolate or cream or beer nuts. Some sugar free drinks.

I think my calories might be too low but not too sure, I've been losing just under a Kg a week for the last 10 weeks although it stalled over easter when I ate heaps of chocolate.

Haven't really been exercising just a few chin ups, push ups, squats etc. here and there.

What do you think of my saturated fat intake? :D

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You said you had 100g of meat for lunch. What kind of meat?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Sometimes smoked Beef or Chicken, Patstrami, Ham, whatever I can find.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A good goal is to aim to get 10% of your total calories from saturated fat. So if you are eating 2,500 cals a day, aim for 25 g of fat. However, there are those that eat high fats and lower carbs (and no sugary processed carbs) that do really well on saturated fat diets. The goal is to just avoid high sat fats and processed carbs - that's the killer combo.

At a quick glance, I'd say that it's possible you are a bit high, but if the only real sugary junk food you are eating all day is a piece of chocolate, I'd personally call it reasonable. Perhaps aim for a leaner meat, like chicken, fish, or 96% lean beef for lunch, and leave everything else the same.

Whatever you do, don't get rid of the bacon! :D

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
That is the theory I'm going with, in the absence of high carb (particularly sugar and wheat) saturated fat should not be a problem. Otherwise the traditional Inuit should have been riddled with heart disease, which they weren't.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
today

-cheerios with a banana and a couple strawberries mixed in, and milk of course (always 1%)
-salad: lots of chickpeas, strawberries, spinach, fig balsamic vinegar, olive oil =awesome
-carrots and pea pods
-1/2 of a small honeydew melon
-some nuts/trail mix (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 cup)
-3 sugar/shortbread-ish cookies I made at christmas and forgot about (seriously, they don't go bad apparently lol)
-now: starving after soccer. eating a can of salmon (wild pacific boneless/skinless, 170g) while waiting for water to boil
-next: ramen noodles, drained, mixed with frozen veggies and some of the MSG packet

grade: B+ish.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Felt very ill today and so I just ate whatever I felt like. A couple bowls of cereal andlike 3 tortillas. Lots of carbs and few nutrients. Tomorrow we have lunch catered at work which will probably not be super healthy, but yummy so I will eat it. :) Okay, so this week sucked. I'll get back on the wagon this weekend.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I've been going smoothie crazy.

Everyday

Breakfast - 3/4 cup raw oats, 8 oz water, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1 cup nonfat unflavored yogurt, 1 scoop whey protein powder... blended with ice.

Dinner - 1/2 avocado, 3 cups raw spinach, 1 cup frozen berries, 1-2 cups oj... blended. + Some other stuff I forage (hummus, cheese, nuts, etc).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've been going smoothie crazy.

Everyday

Breakfast - 3/4 cup raw oats, 8 oz water, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1 cup nonfat unflavored yogurt, 1 scoop whey protein powder... blended with ice.

Dinner - 1/2 avocado, 3 cups raw spinach, 1 cup frozen berries, 1-2 cups oj... blended. + Some other stuff I forage (hummus, cheese, nuts, etc).

That sounds healthy...except I don't see how that would even add up to 800 calories a day.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
That sounds healthy...except I don't see how that would even add up to 800 calories a day.

Believe it or not, the smoothies add up to about 1200 calories. I get the rest from foraging, if I'm hungry. I'm trying to shed some fat.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Believe it or not, the smoothies add up to about 1200 calories. I get the rest from foraging, if I'm hungry. I'm trying to shed some fat.

Interesting.

*takes notes*

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ That sounds interesting. What else do you put in an avocado shake?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Last week didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. Even though I cheated a bit less, I also ate fewer meals, so I remained at 77% compliance.

Anyway, there's a new habit this week:
1. Take a multi-vitamin and fish oil each day. (Breakfast and dinner)
2. Save the most carb dense foods for after exercise.
3. Eat a lean protein with every meal and snack.
4. Eat a minimum of 4 meals a day.

There are two situations that cause me to eat an unplanned cheat meal: When I'm at my family's, and when I go more than 5 hours without eating. Number 4 should help with the latter.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This weekend was pretty much a bust... meh. But yesterday I did well!

Screenshot2011-05-03at114005AM.png

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
4. Eat a minimum of 4 meals a day.

I'm SO bad at this. Thats one of the changes Im supposed to be making. Im supposed to be aiming for 6 small meals a day. Normally I eat.......... 2.

I'm working on that.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good luck. :)

I know it's tricky for me at times. The problem is that in order for me to eat 4-6 meals, I have to eat smaller meals so I'm actually hungry 2-4 hours later. So if for some reason I miss a meal, I feel like I'm starving and end up eating way too much later on.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:laugh: So, my challenge so far has been a TOTAL bust!! I can't help it!
1. My house sitting fridge is full of food that will go bad if someone doesn't eat it.
2. My parents have been doing the grocery shopping lately. :doh: That's never a good thing.

BUT I did get this awesome smoothie book from half-price books.. I think I'll try it out. What can it hurt, right? :3 They sound good.
I think I'm going back to my favorite cookbook though.. I think my parents will just have to deal with me not eating their food, or conforming to what I am cooking for myself. :yes:

Nothing will keep me 100% on track though until I get my own place. :shrug: So i'll just try my best for the day-to-day things.

So far, today I ate some terrible for me Brie+sausage thingies+mustard+bread sandwich combo... thing. :laugh:
I think I'll eat some hummus and veggies and maybe some tuna with crackers for lunch...
Whatever is for dinner. :3 and maybe some awesome smoothie for a fourth meal. I need to be eating more, and smaller, meals.