• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Healthy Eating Challenge!

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm constantly trying to maintain healthy eating habits, but it's hard. I thought here we could post the healthy things we eat and encourage each other.

Today I am doing well. So far, I have eaten:

Breakfast:
Iced mocha with 1% milk (homemade)
Honey Nut Cheerios with skim milk

Snack:
Dried apricots
Orange juice

Lunch:
Spinach salad with clementine
Low-sodium hummus (homemade)
Kashi Heart to Heart crackers (basically Triscuits but much healthier)
Banana
2 Dove dark chocolate squares

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
oh excellent i just started raw food again today!
and jock just started his new eating plan today <3

breakfast:
green smoothie : kale / orange juice / fresh mangoes

lunch:
baby greens and raw caesar dressing

dinner:
tuna ahi tartare and baby green salad

evening snack:
green smoothie: baby chards, coconut water, fresh pineapples

F

figsfiggyfigs

^ I is too.

Hmm Me finks I will join this. I've been slacking lately...

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll play along as well, although I already know I won't succeed in posting my meals for very long, so I'll have to do my own version of this.

I currently have 3 rules that I'm trying to follow with my diet, and will add a new rule every 2-3 weeks. So far:
1. Take a multi-vitamin and fish oil each day. (This means a dose in the morning and a dose at night.)
2. Save the most carb dense foods for after exercise.
3. Eat a lean protein with every meal and snack.

At the end of the week, I'll report on how I did.

As far as sharing a meal, I got breakfast down by usually making some sort of vegetable omelet.
2 handfuls spinach
1/3 onion chopped
handful of mushrooms
1 slice of cheddar cheese
1-2 whole eggs
1 cup egg whites (i buy the carton)

+ 1 banana

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'll play along as well, although I already know I won't succeed in posting my meals for very long, so I'll have to do my own version of this.

I currently have 3 rules that I'm trying to follow with my diet, and will add a new rule every 2-3 weeks. So far:
1. Take a multi-vitamin and fish oil each day. (This means a dose in the morning and a dose at night.)
2. Save the most carb dense foods for after exercise.
3. Eat a lean protein with every meal and snack.

At the end of the week, I'll report on how I did.

As far as sharing a meal, I got breakfast down by usually making some sort of vegetable omelet.
2 handfuls spinach
1/3 onion chopped
handful of mushrooms
1 slice of cheddar cheese
1-2 whole eggs
1 cup egg whites (i buy the carton)

+ 1 banana

Those rules sound good. However you want to use this thread, however it is helpful to you, is great!

I had a healthy dinner last night (jambalaya and spinach) but then I kind of blew it by having a couple of cookies in the evening. But still, I did pretty well, I think-- my main goal lately is to make sure I am getting enough of the nutrients I need-- calcium, protein, potassium, and iron are my main challenges-- and not too much of bad things like sodium, too many calories, too many carbs, and fat. I usually do pretty well on the fat, but carbs and especially sodium are a challenge. I've been better at sodium in the last few weeks though, mainly just by paying attention to what I buy. I found crackers with much lower sodium, canned veggies with no sodium added, etc. I can't believe how much sodium is in our everyday foods!!

Anyway yesterday I succeeded in getting enough of ALL of the nutrients I need-- I think this is the first time for potassium!-- and only went a little over in calories, sodium and carbs.
Screenshot2011-04-19at93655AM.png

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Wow. Awesome taking on all of the nutrients :yes:. I'm nowhere near that stage yet, but what site do you use for it / do you need to manually input a lot of things?
I've slacked on inputting all of my input into my Sparkpeople over the past few months, but I feel motivated to start up again.

I'm not inclined to post some of my food choices today, despite being in range.
The happier notes were my Dad's homemade pea soup and homemade tacos. I'm hoping to get back into the kick of alternating between healthier options, but tend to find myself getting sick of certain foods too quickly. Cottage cheese, oatmeal, hummus, etc. I need to space out how frequently I eat them, or I'll end up warding myself off for a month or two. :/
Oh well. Cheers to healthier eating!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder if it will help me to belong to this thread...(haha I talk about it like it's the Elks club or something.) I don't eat so well all the time...

I ate a ridiculous amount all weekend because of the availability of food around me.

Today I ate a piece of peanut butter bread, (whole wheat), a donut, a cup of OJ, a couple of glasses of milk, (1 percent), a couple of glasses of water, a couple of cups of coffee, and a serving of tuna casserole. I think the peas in the casserole was my only fruit/veggie choice. (and now a few glasses of red wine. ;)) I was very lethargic and craving carbs all day.

Maybe I can report something better tomorrow! I went grocery shopping today and bought some healthier stuff, so.. We'll see.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
What's coconut water like?

juice from a young coconut. natural and extremely hydrating.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_water

you can usually find young coconuts in asian supermarkets.
thai young coconuts are the tastiest.

if not there are a couple brands like zico, o.n.e, or vitacoco,
but they're from brazillian coconuts. can't really tell the
difference if you're not picky. but i am. teehee.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
breakfast: green smoothie: mangoes, strawberries, pineapple juice + spinach
lunch: green papaya salad
dinner: mango + raw cashew nut butter

still trying to stay off meat. thought i need to pay more attention in
my food combining, i always get carried away in the morning, because
so sleepy / hungry / slpungry. ideally i'd like to keep it one type of fruit,
one type of veggie, one type of nut per meal just so i can really give
my system a rest.

also, i love how i've been pooping lately. just prrrpppp comes right out.
and floats. floaty poo is healthy poo.

jock's been eating grilled chicken breast with beans and green beans.
the day before he had baby leaves with his chicken. good strong healthy boy.
he's been pooping better too with the greens.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm trying to eat better too, gotta look good in that damn bridesmaids dress :(. Here is what I had today:

Snack - Nibs, Probably 100 calories worth.

Lunch - Tuna Melt (400 calories), Orange (90 calories), cup of Water.

Snack - Granola Bar (200 calories)

Dinner - Chicken Stir Fry over Calrose Rice (around 500 calories), glass of Water.

I need to drink more water!

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
I'm trying to eat better too, gotta look good in that damn bridesmaids dress :(.

when i'm trying to get into a dress, i cut out all sodium
(and use braggs aminos for seasoning instead).

i also avoid all dairy, helps me to shrink, debloats,
gets my tummy a bit more flat.

i stick to very, very high fibre and nutrient densed foods.
i usually do this 2-3 days before i need to get in a tight
dress across the tummy a la herve leger style.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm going to cosplay as Lara Croft in June. While I LOVE my body, and the way it is now <3 fat-cells and all, I still want to trim it down a bit for that costume to add an extra ounce of confidence to it. I ALSO want to gain muscle weight. So, I'm thinking of aiming for a 1,200 calorie a day diet, emphasis on protein and vegetables.. but NOT count any vegetables and fruits in that calorie counter. (Translation: I can eat all of those that I want to my heart's content.)

Challenge accepted. While Easter will totally be a cheat day, I'll focus hard on it between now and June 10th. I think I may take before and after pictures too. :3 GREAT thread idea. !

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Wow. Awesome taking on all of the nutrients :yes:. I'm nowhere near that stage yet, but what site do you use for it / do you need to manually input a lot of things?
I've slacked on inputting all of my input into my Sparkpeople over the past few months, but I feel motivated to start up again.
What website is that? I am intrigued. Also, what is their 'limit' for carbs per day?
The website is http://caloriecount.about.com/
I love it!! It is free, and I don't have to do a lot of manual input. There is also a function to assemble recipes and meals. Before they had the recipe function, it was kind of annoying because for anything you cooked, you'd have to either enter each ingredient, or else add it up manually from the box labels and enter the whole recipe as a "Custom Food." And the Meal function is nice too-- in the winter I have oatmeal with dried cranberries, almond slivers and skim milk for breakfast quite frequently, so I made an "Oatmeal Breakfast" meal so I don't have to add each item separately.

As for the carb limit, it's based on the number of calories you are trying to stick to-- they have a calculator that helps you figure out the number of calories you need to lose, maintain, or gain based on your lifestyle and, body style and weight. But you can adjust it manually if you want a lower carb limit or whatever:
Screenshot2011-04-20at84122AM.png

I sound like an ad for the site, but I really love it. I did WeightWatchers online for awhile, but this site is free and much better, I think.

Maybe I can report something better tomorrow! I went grocery shopping today and bought some healthier stuff, so.. We'll see.
We all have our off times!

I usually do really well all day, and then in the evening I either get hungry or get sweets cravings and give in. Yet again last night I had some ice cream in the evening and blew an otherwise pretty good day. But the purpose of this thread isn't to beat ourselves (or others!) up-- the important thing is just to try to eat healthier!

I'm going to cosplay as Lara Croft in June. While I LOVE my body, and the way it is now <3 fat-cells and all, I still want to trim it down a bit for that costume to add an extra ounce of confidence to it. I ALSO want to gain muscle weight. So, I'm thinking of aiming for a 1,200 calorie a day diet, emphasis on protein and vegetables.. but NOT count any vegetables and fruits in that calorie counter. (Translation: I can eat all of those that I want to my heart's content.)

Challenge accepted. While Easter will totally be a cheat day, I'll focus hard on it between now and June 10th. I think I may take before and after pictures too. :3 GREAT thread idea. !

Sounds intriguing... what's cosplay? I was thinking when you said 1200 calories that that sounded very low (although I don't know what type of body you have), but if you don't count fruits and veggies in there, no problem. Good luck!

My foods for yesterday:
Breakfast: Cheerios and homemade iced mocha
Snack: dried apricots and orange juice
Lunch: Banana, pinach salad with clementine, hummus and crackers, 3 Dove chocolate miniatures
Dinner: Shrimp in Spicy Coconut Milk, canned spinach
Evening: 1/2 c Ben & Jerry's Fudge Brownie Ice cream.... :doh: but it was yummy!

About 2100 calories, went over in carbs, cholesterol (due to the shrimp, of all things!), and under in potassium, as usual.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The website is http://caloriecount.about.com/
I love it!! It is free, and I don't have to do a lot of manual input. There is also a function to assemble recipes and meals. Before they had the recipe function, it was kind of annoying because for anything you cooked, you'd have to either enter each ingredient, or else add it up manually from the box labels and enter the whole recipe as a "Custom Food." And the Meal function is nice too-- in the winter I have oatmeal with dried cranberries, almond slivers and skim milk for breakfast quite frequently, so I made an "Oatmeal Breakfast" meal so I don't have to add each item separately.

As for the carb limit, it's based on the number of calories you are trying to stick to-- they have a calculator that helps you figure out the number of calories you need to lose, maintain, or gain based on your lifestyle and, body style and weight. But you can adjust it manually if you want a lower carb limit or whatever:
Screenshot2011-04-20at84122AM.png

I sound like an ad for the site, but I really love it. I did WeightWatchers online for awhile, but this site is free and much better, I think.
:) Sounds good. I usually use Sparkpeople, which I've found very good for inputing, but I've yet to try their other nutrient trackers. If those aren't too great when I start using them, I'll definitely be giving that site a try. lol If for nothing more than liking the setup of the read-out. I was concerned about if it was going by overall daily needs or by caloric goal, so that's great to know!
Also, definitely stealing your oatmeal breakfast sometime. It sounds delicious.

;) Don't worry about sounding like an ad. I get that way with Zumba and Sparkpeople.

gromit

likes this
Breakfast: oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts.

Snack: potato chips (haha... :shrug:)

Lunch: spinach and cheese quiche

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's a neat site, Aquarelle. I think I'm going to use it when it comes time to do my 2 week food journal. :)