• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychosis and... Me?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i think its really irresponsible from you to even suggest that therapy is just an option. like it or not, but that kind of thoughts are considered as psychotic thoughts and people should get help, because there is high risk of developing something much worse.

I did not express that therapy was just an option, you have misread/misinterpreted my meaning.
What i was trying to say is that if therapy is not an option (as in beyond her own personel means), which it is not for everyone, then talking to someone she knows is important to do in the immediate future. At least this way it breaks the isolation barrier and if it is someone who is grounded and trustworthy then maybe they could help her get therapy.
I think you are blowing my comments out of proportion here.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I did not express that therapy was just an option, you have misread/misinterpreted my meaning.
What i was trying to say is that if therapy is not an option (as in beyond her own personel means), which it is not for everyone, then talking to someone she knows is important to do in the immediate future. At least this way it breaks the isolation barrier and if it is someone who is grounded and trustworthy then maybe they could help her get therapy.
I think you are blowing my comments out of proportion here.

Don't worry, I got your meaning. I basically understood your post to be "Get whatever help you can until you can get professional help." Amirite?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't worry, I got your meaning. I basically understood your post to be "Get whatever help you can until you can get professional help." Amirite?

Yes, and it's not to say i don't think you need professional help because i think you would clearly benefit from it.
I don't think you are whining or being lazy. Something/s have clearly bothered you enough to post about and from what you describe the symptoms sound pretty textbook depression. The psychotic thought period you described having at an earlier date was probably exacerbated by the isolation of your thoughts and lack of communication with anyone else regarding it at the time. This does not mean i don't think it's possible that they were psychotic thoughts just that these type of thoughts intensify when dealt with alone.
And phew i'm glad you understood. I was worried i wasn't explaining myself clearly.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, it's weird to think back on my younger self and the fear I had of God. It was really intense. Once, around 14/15, I went downstairs in utter terror, and said to my mam, "I'm afraid." I'll never forget the look she gave me as she said, "Of what? Go back to bed." Think she thought I was scared of the dark or something stupid. But my tongue froze in my mouth, and despite all my resolutions to finally talk it out with someone (I can't begin to describe how long it took to work up the courage to even say those two words), I turned around and went back upstairs. I knew my fears were utter stupidity, had no foundation in reality, and I think that was the major source of my reluctance to speak to anyone. I think some echoes of that are still bouncing around in my head, making me scared of seeking help. But I know now that I need some form of help, so gotta suck it up...

My question is, when I'm booking my appointment tomorrow, what should I say it's for? I guess my 1 big issue is my total lack of drive or motivation to do anything. Should I say I'm looking for help overcoming that, or should I outline everything I've mentioned here on thread?

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Based on your original post, I might guess that it could be an anxiety disorder (OCD or GAD), possibly comorbid with depression.

Maybe this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_anxiety-depressive_disorder

Either way, I'm not a doctor, neither is anyone else on this site (as far as I know), and attempting to diagnose yourself is definitely not the greatest idea.
There's no shame in seeking therapy, a good diagnosis by a professional is a definite step in the right direction.

My question is, when I'm booking my appointment tomorrow, what should I say it's for? I guess my 1 big issue is my total lack of drive or motivation to do anything. Should I say I'm looking for help overcoming that, or should I outline everything I've mentioned here on thread?
Well, my suggestion would be to start small, build up your trust and comfort with the counselor, then branch out.

Hope you find what you need.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, it's weird to think back on my younger self and the fear I had of God. It was really intense. Once, around 14/15, I went downstairs in utter terror, and said to my mam, "I'm afraid." I'll never forget the look she gave me as she said, "Of what? Go back to bed." Think she thought I was scared of the dark or something stupid. But my tongue froze in my mouth, and despite all my resolutions to finally talk it out with someone (I can't begin to describe how long it took to work up the courage to even say those two words), I turned around and went back upstairs. I knew my fears were utter stupidity, had no foundation in reality, and I think that was the major source of my reluctance to speak to anyone. I think some echoes of that are still bouncing around in my head, making me scared of seeking help. But I know now that I need some form of help, so gotta suck it up...

Thats awful! And probably the reason you do not feel comfortable talking to her about it, do you see that the fears/worries you have are an exact replica of the way you felt when you tried to talk to her that night. They directly correlate.
She made you feel like you had bothered her-you said you didn't want to bother your parents
she made you feel like you were being ridiculous-you have questioned if you are being ridiculous
I think echoes is an understatement and you have built a bigger barrier.
Hope this does not sound too feely for you, in my defence i'm an NF :smile:

I think it might be a good idea to say that you believe you may be suffering from depression and you would like to discuss it with someone. I'm sure it will not be easy to say but i think you can see from the responses that you have had in this thread that everyone is taking you seriously and i think the last people to make light of it will be the counselors/therapists.
Once you have said some of these things out loud to another person (in a private and confidential setting) it will make a difference.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I think the first step would be to evaluate what it is you expect to accomplish with therapy. You said that it is the road to freedom. Freedom from what? You can evaluate this yourself and answer your own question.

Just noticed this bit now, sorry. Freedom from my own self-imposed barriers. Freedom from non-existent constraints. Freedom to live instead of to watch others live.

GemPOPGem said:
Thats awful! And probably the reason you do not feel comfortable talking to her about it, do you see that the fears/worries you have are an exact replica of the way you felt when you tried to talk to her that night. They directly correlate.
She made you feel like you had bothered her-you said you didn't want to bother your parents
she made you feel like you were being ridiculous-you have questioned if you are being ridiculous
I think echoes is an understatement and you have built a bigger barrier

I think I've misrepresented my mother here.. She's an amazing, selfless woman who's has no small amount of difficulties in her own lifetime. I've never in my life doubted for a nanosecond that she loves me and would do anything for me. Anything at all. When I went to speak to her that night I chickened out of telling the whole truth. All she saw was her 15yo daughter being a bit scared of the dark. I just hate speaking to people about my problems in general (way before any of this), and I guess stuff that's happened since hasn't helped. Above all else, I am INTP, and we like to be seen as autonomous and independent :tongue:.

GemPOPGem said:
I think it might be a good idea to say that you believe you may be suffering from depression and you would like to discuss it with someone. I'm sure it will not be easy to say but i think you can see from the responses that you have had in this thread that everyone is taking you seriously and i think the last people to make light of it will be the counselors/therapists.
Once you have said some of these things out loud to another person (in a private and confidential setting) it will make a difference.

I'll try that, thank you :)

Fan.Of.Devin said:
Either way, I'm not a doctor, neither is anyone else on this site (as far as I know), and attempting to diagnose yourself is definitely not the greatest idea.
There's no shame in seeking therapy, a good diagnosis by a professional is a definite step in the right direction.

I know I can't self-diagnose online. I was just hoping for some opinions on whether I'm just being stupid or if I really should go see a professional. Seems the consensus is unanimous :/

T

ThatGirl

Just noticed this bit now, sorry. Freedom from my own self-imposed barriers. Freedom from non-existent constraints. Freedom to live instead of to watch others live.

I think this is a great place to start with your therapist, and just see how the conversation evolves from there.

If it makes you feel any better, I come from a Catholic family as well. When my grandmother told my son that if he was a good boy he would go to heaven, he flipped the fuck out because he didn't WANT to live with Jesus! He wanted to stay on Earth. He even cleaned all his toys out of her room, and refused to talk to her for a little bit. Lol.

Anyway, I think you got some good feedback here.

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
I know I can't self-diagnose online. I was just hoping for some opinions on whether I'm just being stupid or if I really should go see a professional. Seems the consensus is unanimous :/
Whether you should see a professional isn't my place to say, but, being concerned for your own well-being is hardly a stupid thing.

If it's affecting your life, it's worth seeking help over, in my opinion.
Even if it's only affecting your mood, then I'd still say it's important enough to look into.

The reason I suggest anxiety, BTW, is because there is some truth to the old adage "If you think you're going insane you're probably not."
A "psychosis" is a break from reality; so how can you both break from reality and acknowledge that you're breaking from reality at the same time? Well, you can't, really...

If you're worried about going insane, you're probably not actually at any risk of going insane, you're just worrying more than you ought to be. Which is why I thought anxiety might be a good culprit. Fear of going insane is a common facet of anxiety and panic disorders.

Lots of people struggle with it, and there are a ton of causes.
The fix could be as simple as a few sessions with a cognitive-behavioral therapist, or even just a change in diet/supplementation.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Fan.of.Devin said:
Whether you should see a professional isn't my place to say, but, being concerned for your own well-being is hardly a stupid thing.

If it's affecting your life, it's worth seeking help over, in my opinion.
Even if it's only affecting your mood, then I'd still say it's important enough to look into.

The reason I suggest anxiety, BTW, is because there is some truth to the old adage "If you think you're going insane you're probably not."
A "psychosis" is a break from reality; so how can you both break from reality and acknowledge that you're breaking from reality at the same time? Well, you can't, really...

If you're worried about going insane, you're probably not actually at any risk of going insane, you're just worrying more than you ought to be. Which is why I thought anxiety might be a good culprit. Fear of going insane is a common facet of anxiety and panic disorders.

Lots of people struggle with it, and there are a ton of causes.
The fix could be as simple as a few sessions with a cognitive-behavioral therapist, or even just a change in diet/supplementation.

Heh, good point actually. I'll bear that in mind.

Anyway, I think you got some good feedback here.

I agree. Thanks to everyone who took the time to read and reply. It really means a lot.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If I was a betting man I'd call it an endocrine disruption first. Establishing the right diagnosis for you, you may do if your lucky, more than likely you'll receive inaccurate kinds and be put on something that harms your endocrine system further but stabilizes you temporarily as well. Try looking up and reading up on the hypothalamus, pituitary and adrenal glands as well as digging further into the functionality of all of them especially thyroid and pituitary amongst others like pancreas, liver, kidneys, pineal, thymus etc, alternatives as well as scientific. When one is affected they usually all are in some small way, heavens that would be crazy...this article may help on Myxedema. And other simple stuff like magnesium and iodine intake helps.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
If I was a betting man I'd call it an endocrine disruption first. Establishing the right diagnosis for you, you may do if your lucky, more than likely you'll receive inaccurate kinds and be put on something that harms your endocrine system further but stabilizes you temporarily as well. Try looking up and reading up on the hypothalamus, pituitary and adrenal glands as well as digging further into the functionality of all of them especially thyroid and pituitary amongst others like pancreas, liver, kidneys, pineal, thymus etc, alternatives as well as scientific. When one is affected they usually all are in some small way, heavens that would be crazy...this article may help on Myxedema. And other simple stuff like magnesium and iodine intake helps.

Wow. A lot of stuff in that article does fit and makes sense. Where would I go for a blood test? GP?

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Holy shit. Just googled Myxedema and here's a list of symptoms (I bolded the ones that fit):

Early symptoms:

Being more sensitive to cold (kinda)

Constipation

Depression (well ye all seem to think so)

Fatigue or feeling slowed down

Heavier menstrual periods

Joint or muscle pain

Paleness or dry skin

Thin, brittle hair or fingernails

Weakness

Weight gain (unintentional) (dunno if this counts though as I do overeat)

Late symptoms, if left untreated:

Decreased taste and smell

Hoarseness

Puffy face, hands, and feet (maybe? I do have fat fingers and wide feet)

Slow speech

Thickening of the skin

Thinning of eyebrows

Signs and tests

A physical examination may reveal a smaller than normal thyroid gland, although sometimes the gland is normal size or even enlarged (goiter). The examination may also reveal:

Brittle nails

Coarse facial features (what's this even mean?}

Pale or dry skin, which may be cool to the touch
(I'm naturally pale though...)

Swelling of the arms and legs

Thin and brittle hair

Shit, add this to the long list of reasons why Google says I'm dying.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
You googled symptoms again. :laugh:

Synapse made me do it!! :tongue:

No, but seriously, another webpage says this:

What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?

Before a patient develops myxedema coma, features of hypothyroidism are usually present and may have gone unsuspected for a long period of time.

These symptoms include:

* fatigue,

* lethargy,

* mental impairment,

* depression,

* cold intolerance,

* hoarseness,

* dry skin,

* weight gain,

* change in menstrual cycles,

* constipation, and

* headaches.

I get all these. Mebbe I should go see my gp rather than a counselor. *sigh*

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Based on your original post, I might guess that it could be an anxiety disorder (OCD or GAD), possibly comorbid with depression.

I second this: I have severe OCD myself (and periodic depression that is either directly or indirectly caused by the same), and Oefa's description of her symptoms were very very similar to some of my own experiences as a teenager. The kicker was her recognition that her fears were irrational with 'no foundation in reality,' and her inability to minimize the frequency and impact of such fears on that basis.

To Oefa: Your situation and symptoms are NOT unusual for people with anxiety disorders and other debilitating nuerosis; you should not fear telling a professional anything you have just divulged to us, they have heard far far worse. I would also warn you that your supernaturnal-based fears were only symptoms; putting aside a supernatural or religious world-view will only alleviate those specific fears, other obsessive and irrational fears WILL take their place in time. With proper behavoiral therapy and, if necessary, certain drugs (generic prozac is very very cheap now, ask your doctor about it) you will be equipped to minimize the frequency and impact of such anxiety attacks on your life. From personal experience, I would recommend getting professional help NOW.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
^ I do hope people realize Prozac is a concentrated fluoride compound and a fluoride compound suppresses the thyroid glands...

If I was a betting man a high percentage of misdiagnosis goes on in the medical and psychiatric professions.

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
^ I do hope people realize Prozac is a concentrated fluoride compound and a fluoride compound suppresses the thyroid glands...
I question your understanding of both pharmaceuticals and chemistry...

Yes, fluoxetine (Prozac) contains fluorine atoms, but that is a completely irrelevant thing to point out.
This is comparable to calling water a "concentrated hydrogen compound", and deducing that water must be highly flammable because it contains hydrogen atoms.

If I was a betting man a high percentage of misdiagnosis goes on in the medical and psychiatric professions.
A high percentage of misdiagnosis does go on in the medical and psychiatric profession... But, misinformation coming from the direction of the anti-medicine crowd doesn't help, though.

Last edited:

Usehername

On a mission
I think some of the posts in this thread are shamefully irresponsible. Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you should share it if you have no idea wtf psychosis really is.

I don't know why so many people are saying they think the OP is fine when they clearly have no professional or personal experience with psychosis; they're projecting their idea of psychosis based on the most disturbed scene from a movie, or something. I don't think the OP is fine. I am not a professional, but I do have a next of kin with diagnosed psychosis and know what that looks like in the early stages and how it progresses over time. All opinions on The Internetz are not created equal.

Finally, INTP is totally right with his perspective and with the neuroplasticity comment. Don't wait. You can let your brain potentially train you into full-blown schizophrenia, or you can get counseling to make your brain healthier. Do the latter.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

good :D

If you're worried about going insane, you're probably not actually at any risk of going insane, you're just worrying more than you ought to be.

you know this isnt true in all cases, especially with this sort of case when you are looking at mild stuff that might develop to something worse. its more true when you are talking about something like severe schizophrenia breakdown and people who are too out of this world to recognize that they are mentally ill.

go to counselor and tell him about that hypothyroidism, he will probably laugh at you for crappy self diagnosis because those symptoms listed there could be caused by many many things and imo doesent explain the whole thing.