User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

If I was a betting man I'd call it an endocrine disruption first. Establishing the right diagnosis for you, you may do if your lucky, more than likely you'll receive inaccurate kinds and be put on something that harms your endocrine system further but stabilizes you temporarily as well. Try looking up and reading up on the hypothalamus, pituitary and adrenal glands as well as digging further into the functionality of all of them especially thyroid and pituitary amongst others like pancreas, liver, kidneys, pineal, thymus etc, alternatives as well as scientific. When one is affected they usually all are in some small way, heavens that would be crazy...this article may help on Myxedema. And other simple stuff like magnesium and iodine intake helps.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    If I was a betting man I'd call it an endocrine disruption first. Establishing the right diagnosis for you, you may do if your lucky, more than likely you'll receive inaccurate kinds and be put on something that harms your endocrine system further but stabilizes you temporarily as well. Try looking up and reading up on the hypothalamus, pituitary and adrenal glands as well as digging further into the functionality of all of them especially thyroid and pituitary amongst others like pancreas, liver, kidneys, pineal, thymus etc, alternatives as well as scientific. When one is affected they usually all are in some small way, heavens that would be crazy...this article may help on Myxedema. And other simple stuff like magnesium and iodine intake helps.
    Wow. A lot of stuff in that article does fit and makes sense. Where would I go for a blood test? GP?
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    INTP

Holy shit. Just googled Myxedema and here's a list of symptoms (I bolded the ones that fit):

Early symptoms:

Being more sensitive to cold (kinda)

Constipation

Depression (well ye all seem to think so)

Fatigue or feeling slowed down

Heavier menstrual periods

Joint or muscle pain

Paleness or dry skin

Thin, brittle hair or fingernails

Weakness

Weight gain (unintentional) (dunno if this counts though as I do overeat)

Late symptoms, if left untreated:

Decreased taste and smell

Hoarseness

Puffy face, hands, and feet (maybe? I do have fat fingers and wide feet)

Slow speech

Thickening of the skin

Thinning of eyebrows

Signs and tests

A physical examination may reveal a smaller than normal thyroid gland, although sometimes the gland is normal size or even enlarged (goiter). The examination may also reveal:

Brittle nails

Coarse facial features (what's this even mean?}

Pale or dry skin, which may be cool to the touch
    (I'm naturally pale though...)

Swelling of the arms and legs

Thin and brittle hair

Shit, add this to the long list of reasons why Google says I'm dying.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    ENTP

You googled symptoms again.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    You googled symptoms again.
    Synapse made me do it!!

No, but seriously, another webpage says this:

What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?

Before a patient develops myxedema coma, features of hypothyroidism are usually present and may have gone unsuspected for a long period of time.

These symptoms include:

* fatigue,

* lethargy,

* mental impairment,

* depression,

* cold intolerance,

* hoarseness,

* dry skin,

* weight gain,

* change in menstrual cycles,

* constipation, and

* headaches.
    I get all these. Mebbe I should go see my gp rather than a counselor. *sigh*
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Devin View Post
    Based on your original post, I might guess that it could be an anxiety disorder (OCD or GAD), possibly comorbid with depression.
    I second this: I have severe OCD myself (and periodic depression that is either directly or indirectly caused by the same), and Oefa's description of her symptoms were very very similar to some of my own experiences as a teenager. The kicker was her recognition that her fears were irrational with 'no foundation in reality,' and her inability to minimize the frequency and impact of such fears on that basis.

To Oefa: Your situation and symptoms are NOT unusual for people with anxiety disorders and other debilitating nuerosis; you should not fear telling a professional anything you have just divulged to us, they have heard far far worse. I would also warn you that your supernaturnal-based fears were only symptoms; putting aside a supernatural or religious world-view will only alleviate those specific fears, other obsessive and irrational fears WILL take their place in time. With proper behavoiral therapy and, if necessary, certain drugs (generic prozac is very very cheap now, ask your doctor about it) you will be equipped to minimize the frequency and impact of such anxiety attacks on your life. From personal experience, I would recommend getting professional help NOW.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

^ I do hope people realize Prozac is a concentrated fluoride compound and a fluoride compound suppresses the thyroid glands...

If I was a betting man a high percentage of misdiagnosis goes on in the medical and psychiatric professions.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

^ I do hope people realize Prozac is a concentrated fluoride compound and a fluoride compound suppresses the thyroid glands...
    I question your understanding of both pharmaceuticals and chemistry...

Yes, fluoxetine (Prozac) contains fluorine atoms, but that is a completely irrelevant thing to point out.
    This is comparable to calling water a "concentrated hydrogen compound", and deducing that water must be highly flammable because it contains hydrogen atoms.

If I was a betting man a high percentage of misdiagnosis goes on in the medical and psychiatric professions.
    A high percentage of misdiagnosis does go on in the medical and psychiatric profession... But, misinformation coming from the direction of the anti-medicine crowd doesn't help, though.
    Last edited by Fan.of.Devin; 04-19-2011 at 12:19 AM. Reason: typo
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I think some of the posts in this thread are shamefully irresponsible. Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you should share it if you have no idea wtf psychosis really is.

I don't know why so many people are saying they think the OP is fine when they clearly have no professional or personal experience with psychosis; they're projecting their idea of psychosis based on the most disturbed scene from a movie, or something. I don't think the OP is fine. I am not a professional, but I do have a next of kin with diagnosed psychosis and know what that looks like in the early stages and how it progresses over time. All opinions on The Internetz are not created equal.

Finally, INTP is totally right with his perspective and with the neuroplasticity comment. Don't wait. You can let your brain potentially train you into full-blown schizophrenia, or you can get counseling to make your brain healthier. Do the latter.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I did not express that therapy was just an option, you have misread/misinterpreted my meaning.
    good

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Devin View Post
    If you're worried about going insane, you're probably not actually at any risk of going insane, you're just worrying more than you ought to be.
    you know this isnt true in all cases, especially with this sort of case when you are looking at mild stuff that might develop to something worse. its more true when you are talking about something like severe schizophrenia breakdown and people who are too out of this world to recognize that they are mentally ill.

go to counselor and tell him about that hypothyroidism, he will probably laugh at you for crappy self diagnosis because those symptoms listed there could be caused by many many things and imo doesent explain the whole thing.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read