Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i think its really irresponsible from you to even suggest that therapy is just an option. like it or not, but that kind of thoughts are considered as psychotic thoughts and people should get help, because there is high risk of developing something much worse.
    I did not express that therapy was just an option, you have misread/misinterpreted my meaning.
    What i was trying to say is that if therapy is not an option (as in beyond her own personel means), which it is not for everyone, then talking to someone she knows is important to do in the immediate future. At least this way it breaks the isolation barrier and if it is someone who is grounded and trustworthy then maybe they could help her get therapy.
    I think you are blowing my comments out of proportion here.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I did not express that therapy was just an option, you have misread/misinterpreted my meaning.
    What i was trying to say is that if therapy is not an option (as in beyond her own personel means), which it is not for everyone, then talking to someone she knows is important to do in the immediate future. At least this way it breaks the isolation barrier and if it is someone who is grounded and trustworthy then maybe they could help her get therapy.
    I think you are blowing my comments out of proportion here.
    Don't worry, I got your meaning. I basically understood your post to be "Get whatever help you can until you can get professional help." Amirite?
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    Don't worry, I got your meaning. I basically understood your post to be "Get whatever help you can until you can get professional help." Amirite?
    Yes, and it's not to say i don't think you need professional help because i think you would clearly benefit from it.
    I don't think you are whining or being lazy. Something/s have clearly bothered you enough to post about and from what you describe the symptoms sound pretty textbook depression. The psychotic thought period you described having at an earlier date was probably exacerbated by the isolation of your thoughts and lack of communication with anyone else regarding it at the time. This does not mean i don't think it's possible that they were psychotic thoughts just that these type of thoughts intensify when dealt with alone.
    And phew i'm glad you understood. I was worried i wasn't explaining myself clearly.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, it's weird to think back on my younger self and the fear I had of God. It was really intense. Once, around 14/15, I went downstairs in utter terror, and said to my mam, "I'm afraid." I'll never forget the look she gave me as she said, "Of what? Go back to bed." Think she thought I was scared of the dark or something stupid. But my tongue froze in my mouth, and despite all my resolutions to finally talk it out with someone (I can't begin to describe how long it took to work up the courage to even say those two words), I turned around and went back upstairs. I knew my fears were utter stupidity, had no foundation in reality, and I think that was the major source of my reluctance to speak to anyone. I think some echoes of that are still bouncing around in my head, making me scared of seeking help. But I know now that I need some form of help, so gotta suck it up...

My question is, when I'm booking my appointment tomorrow, what should I say it's for? I guess my 1 big issue is my total lack of drive or motivation to do anything. Should I say I'm looking for help overcoming that, or should I outline everything I've mentioned here on thread?
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

Based on your original post, I might guess that it could be an anxiety disorder (OCD or GAD), possibly comorbid with depression.

Maybe this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_a...ssive_disorder

Either way, I'm not a doctor, neither is anyone else on this site (as far as I know), and attempting to diagnose yourself is definitely not the greatest idea.
    There's no shame in seeking therapy, a good diagnosis by a professional is a definite step in the right direction.

My question is, when I'm booking my appointment tomorrow, what should I say it's for? I guess my 1 big issue is my total lack of drive or motivation to do anything. Should I say I'm looking for help overcoming that, or should I outline everything I've mentioned here on thread?
    Well, my suggestion would be to start small, build up your trust and comfort with the counselor, then branch out.

Hope you find what you need.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Yeah, it's weird to think back on my younger self and the fear I had of God. It was really intense. Once, around 14/15, I went downstairs in utter terror, and said to my mam, "I'm afraid." I'll never forget the look she gave me as she said, "Of what? Go back to bed." Think she thought I was scared of the dark or something stupid. But my tongue froze in my mouth, and despite all my resolutions to finally talk it out with someone (I can't begin to describe how long it took to work up the courage to even say those two words), I turned around and went back upstairs. I knew my fears were utter stupidity, had no foundation in reality, and I think that was the major source of my reluctance to speak to anyone. I think some echoes of that are still bouncing around in my head, making me scared of seeking help. But I know now that I need some form of help, so gotta suck it up...
    Thats awful! And probably the reason you do not feel comfortable talking to her about it, do you see that the fears/worries you have are an exact replica of the way you felt when you tried to talk to her that night. They directly correlate.
    She made you feel like you had bothered her-you said you didn't want to bother your parents
    she made you feel like you were being ridiculous-you have questioned if you are being ridiculous
    I think echoes is an understatement and you have built a bigger barrier.
    Hope this does not sound too feely for you, in my defence i'm an NF

I think it might be a good idea to say that you believe you may be suffering from depression and you would like to discuss it with someone. I'm sure it will not be easy to say but i think you can see from the responses that you have had in this thread that everyone is taking you seriously and i think the last people to make light of it will be the counselors/therapists.
    Once you have said some of these things out loud to another person (in a private and confidential setting) it will make a difference.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I think the first step would be to evaluate what it is you expect to accomplish with therapy. You said that it is the road to freedom. Freedom from what? You can evaluate this yourself and answer your own question.
    Just noticed this bit now, sorry. Freedom from my own self-imposed barriers. Freedom from non-existent constraints. Freedom to live instead of to watch others live.

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem
    Thats awful! And probably the reason you do not feel comfortable talking to her about it, do you see that the fears/worries you have are an exact replica of the way you felt when you tried to talk to her that night. They directly correlate.
    She made you feel like you had bothered her-you said you didn't want to bother your parents
    she made you feel like you were being ridiculous-you have questioned if you are being ridiculous
    I think echoes is an understatement and you have built a bigger barrier
    I think I've misrepresented my mother here.. She's an amazing, selfless woman who's has no small amount of difficulties in her own lifetime. I've never in my life doubted for a nanosecond that she loves me and would do anything for me. Anything at all. When I went to speak to her that night I chickened out of telling the whole truth. All she saw was her 15yo daughter being a bit scared of the dark. I just hate speaking to people about my problems in general (way before any of this), and I guess stuff that's happened since hasn't helped. Above all else, I am INTP, and we like to be seen as autonomous and independent .

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem
    I think it might be a good idea to say that you believe you may be suffering from depression and you would like to discuss it with someone. I'm sure it will not be easy to say but i think you can see from the responses that you have had in this thread that everyone is taking you seriously and i think the last people to make light of it will be the counselors/therapists.
    Once you have said some of these things out loud to another person (in a private and confidential setting) it will make a difference.
    I'll try that, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.Of.Devin
    Either way, I'm not a doctor, neither is anyone else on this site (as far as I know), and attempting to diagnose yourself is definitely not the greatest idea.
    There's no shame in seeking therapy, a good diagnosis by a professional is a definite step in the right direction.
    I know I can't self-diagnose online. I was just hoping for some opinions on whether I'm just being stupid or if I really should go see a professional. Seems the consensus is unanimous :/
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

ThatGirl

Just noticed this bit now, sorry. Freedom from my own self-imposed barriers. Freedom from non-existent constraints. Freedom to live instead of to watch others live.
    I think this is a great place to start with your therapist, and just see how the conversation evolves from there.

If it makes you feel any better, I come from a Catholic family as well. When my grandmother told my son that if he was a good boy he would go to heaven, he flipped the fuck out because he didn't WANT to live with Jesus! He wanted to stay on Earth. He even cleaned all his toys out of her room, and refused to talk to her for a little bit. Lol.

Anyway, I think you got some good feedback here.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

I know I can't self-diagnose online. I was just hoping for some opinions on whether I'm just being stupid or if I really should go see a professional. Seems the consensus is unanimous :/
    Whether you should see a professional isn't my place to say, but, being concerned for your own well-being is hardly a stupid thing.

If it's affecting your life, it's worth seeking help over, in my opinion.
    Even if it's only affecting your mood, then I'd still say it's important enough to look into.

The reason I suggest anxiety, BTW, is because there is some truth to the old adage "If you think you're going insane you're probably not."
    A "psychosis" is a break from reality; so how can you both break from reality and acknowledge that you're breaking from reality at the same time? Well, you can't, really...

If you're worried about going insane, you're probably not actually at any risk of going insane, you're just worrying more than you ought to be. Which is why I thought anxiety might be a good culprit. Fear of going insane is a common facet of anxiety and panic disorders.

Lots of people struggle with it, and there are a ton of causes.
    The fix could be as simple as a few sessions with a cognitive-behavioral therapist, or even just a change in diet/supplementation.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Devin
    Whether you should see a professional isn't my place to say, but, being concerned for your own well-being is hardly a stupid thing.

If it's affecting your life, it's worth seeking help over, in my opinion.
    Even if it's only affecting your mood, then I'd still say it's important enough to look into.

The reason I suggest anxiety, BTW, is because there is some truth to the old adage "If you think you're going insane you're probably not."
    A "psychosis" is a break from reality; so how can you both break from reality and acknowledge that you're breaking from reality at the same time? Well, you can't, really...

If you're worried about going insane, you're probably not actually at any risk of going insane, you're just worrying more than you ought to be. Which is why I thought anxiety might be a good culprit. Fear of going insane is a common facet of anxiety and panic disorders.

Lots of people struggle with it, and there are a ton of causes.
    The fix could be as simple as a few sessions with a cognitive-behavioral therapist, or even just a change in diet/supplementation.
    Heh, good point actually. I'll bear that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Anyway, I think you got some good feedback here.
    I agree. Thanks to everyone who took the time to read and reply. It really means a lot.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe