• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychosis and... Me?

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Just to clear up a few things: I'm a lady-person-thing, I'm in the 2nd year of my 3 year BA in Music and English, and I'd rather talk to someone I don't actually know than a friend or family member (cause that just don't work for me). Better yet, I'd love to not need to see anyone about anything and be perfectly fine, but since that's not on the cards.... :tongue:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well i'm not so sure, i went through similar thought patterns... i don't think i was psychotic but i did get (and need) help.
I believe a lot of people go through what could be described as psychotic thought patterns but often these people are able to talk to others so it does not get out of hand.
Meds did not help me personally, either numbed me to a point i was out of touch with reality or made me feel more depressed/neurotic. I also had great difficulty talking to my parents in my teens.
Sometimes our thoughts can escalate and isolating ones self will only help them escalate further.
My point regarding talking to somebody trustworthy and grounded, was just so he/she can have an alternative (and trusted) perspective. One that is grounded.
I think therapy would probably work out best but i suggested it as an option, with the thought in mind, that therapy were not possible.
Not everyone can access therapy, personally i had to wait 14 months to get free therapy. They said they were not an emergency service and for emergencies i needed to go to the emergency centre for mental health. Theres no middle ground for crisis, it is lacking here.
I also think that if there is help available from family members or trusted friends that this should be accessed immediately.

i think its really irresponsible from you to even suggest that therapy is just an option. like it or not, but that kind of thoughts are considered as psychotic thoughts and people should get help, because there is high risk of developing something much worse.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Also, thoughts popping in your head at night, just before going to sleep is normal, however the interpretation of the thought is abnormal.

exactly, i get weird thoughts and ideas pretty much all the time, but i dont take them seriously, im able to know if they are true or false and just laugh at them, so i dont think im crazy. but if i would get those ideas and would need to give a serious thought about if they might be true(or even worse think that they are true), then i would be crazy.

Jaguar

Not so my father and older brother, but yes my mother is a very devout catholic and I was raised to be an active member of the church.

That is what I expected to see. I do not think you're psychotic.

I can't begin to describe the anger I felt for it after I became atheist for causing me to experience utter terror of something that never existed. More annoyed with myself though for being so silly.

This is also what I expected to see. Again, I do not think you're psychotic.

What I do think is you are conflicted between your own thoughts, and what you have been taught. Unfortunately, I have read 100's of stories like yours when so much pressure is put on the young adult and they think they're "going to hell" for some alleged sin. You're not crazy, but I think it would benefit you greatly if you could talk to a professional, nonetheless.

Best to you.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

What I do think is you are conflicted between your own thoughts, and what you have been taught. Unfortunately, I have read 100's of stories like yours when so much pressure is put on the young adult and they think they're "going to hell" for some alleged sin. You're not crazy, but I think it would benefit you greatly if you could talk to a professional, nonetheless.

Best to you.

it doesent make any difference if the psychotic thoughts were induced by religion. religious beliefs actually have quite in common with mental illnesses and they can trigger mental illnesses like lsd or weed can.

do you think that if im able to make someone go insane using mental manipulation based on supernatural, the person is actually not insane even if he has severe delusions(outside from the religion that i thought to him) and possibly hallucinations?

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP

Best to you.

My mother is not a god-fearing woman, nor was I raised to fear hell or God. I was always taught that God had limitless love and patience for me. My fears came entirely from my own mind.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Which is exactly why I said seeing a professional would benefit you.

I just wanted to clear that up :tongue:. Though it would be convenient to blame religious teaching for my issues, it would be incorrect. If I thought my dog could read my mind and would jump at my throat for thinking, "Fuck this dog" then I probably would have had the same experience..

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Which is exactly why I said seeing a professional would benefit you.

Exactly.
Diagnosing a mental illness is a complex process. And when people self diagnose themselves they always choose the worst illnesses.

T

ThatGirl

I also don't think you are psychotic.

I think the first step would be to evaluate what it is you expect to accomplish with therapy. You said that it is the road to freedom. Freedom from what? You can evaluate this yourself and answer your own question.

You don't need to go in and tell them all the little details, it wont effect your progress if you leave some stuff out. Therapy isn't just for psychos. Some people find it beneficial to just have someone to talk to and help them sort through their thoughts. A good therapist isn't going to judge for being or NOT being crazy.

So ditch the fear that you may not have enough to talk about or people will laugh you out of the office. Just get some counseling to help you sort through all the uncertainties that are weighing you down right now.

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Jaguar

it doesent make any difference if the psychotic thoughts were induced by religion. religious beliefs actually have quite in common with mental illnesses and they can trigger mental illnesses like lsd or weed can.

do you think that if im able to make someone go insane using mental manipulation based on supernatural, the person is actually not insane even if he has severe delusions(outside from the religion that i thought to him) and possibly hallucinations?

There aren't too many people who take you seriously after you posted that killing Americans is a good thing for everyone in the long run, and that anyone who didn't see your "logic" was a retard. Consequently, it doesn't matter to me what you think in this particular case - or any case.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I know I can never possibly hope to dream of diagnosing myself on the internet, but it's as good a place as any to start research. I'm just scared that no therapist will ever take me seriously. That they'll just say I'm lazy and need to snap out of it. Which I do need, but can't. I can't bear the thought of spending money I don't have on a consultation that will just end in me getting fobbed off. And there's no point telling me to just ditch that fear because it's not that simple.

I don't seem to be getting my point across here - what chance have I got of getting it across verbally when I can't even string together 1 coherent sentence without fumbling over my words??

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I also don't think you are psychotic.

i didnt say that she is psychotic, i said that she has had psychotic thoughts and because she is prone to that sort of psychotic thinking, she is in high risk of developing something way worse than a single psychotic thought. what she is saying about depression and all that, its pretty clear that everything is not OK, and even if it was just depression now, depression is a perfect start up for starting to have psychotic thoughts again(since brains arent working correctly when someone is depressed, she might not sleep properly and that can make the psychotic thoughts even worse). since she is prone to them and because the setting for those thoughts is so good for serious mental problems, its more likely that those few psychotic thoughts would be a really small thing to what might happen.

There aren't too many people who take you seriously after you posted that killing Americans is a good thing for everyone in the long run, and that anyone who didn't see your "logic" was a retard. Consequently, it doesn't matter to me what you think in this particular case - or any case.

cry cuz american

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm just scared that no therapist will ever take me seriously. That they'll just say I'm lazy and need to snap out of it.

It's your call. But if you want change, then you must do something. Overthinking it won't help, you have to act. :)

But..I don't know the gravity of your issues...so who am I to talk.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
It's your call. But if you want change, then you must do something. Overthinking it won't help, you have to act. :)

But..I don't know the gravity of your issues...so who am I to talk.

That's the thing though... do I actually have any issues? Or am I just being a whiny, lazy prison bitch?

:shrug:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Getting rid of the uncertainty alone should be worth seeing someone. Worst case scenario you know there isn't anything serious to worry about. More likely: some degree of clinical depression, which will lead to a recommendation of therapy, possibly with some added medication depending on the severity.

If not knowing makes you uncomfortable, that's a good enough reason to see someone. And even if you were perfectly healthy, no professional would ever laugh at you or tell you to go home and suck it up. They might have you take a thyroid test or some other blood test to rule out other medical causes.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's the thing though... do I actually have any issues?

you are depressed and have had some psychotic symptoms in the past = you need help. dont trust your own judgment about this too much and let some professional decide if you need help or not. your perspective about this is skewed

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
*sigh* I said I'd try to book an appointment with the on-campus therapist tomorrow, didn't I? We'll see what way it pans out.