User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Default Help me conquer my fast food addiction!

It seems that I have become addicted to Jack in the Box. I get terrible cravings for their ultimate cheese burger with curly fries. I've already gained ten pounds and spent a sizable portion of my food budget on their less than nutritious food. I tried to quit cold turkey but the cravings got me.

Does anyone else have a fast food addiction? Has anyone beaten one before? Any suggestions to save me before I end up looking like this guy?

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2007/03...pp_450x653.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

I dunno, I pretty much live off fast food.. I usually get picked on for being too skinny :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Is there anything you love that is easy to prepare that you could kind of stockpile at home? Sometimes the hassle of leaving the house is enough to keep me from hitting a drive-through. Maybe also keep some tasty snackage in your car so when you get a craving, you can eat that instead and hopefully the craving will pass.

I had a bad thing going for vegetable lo mein there for awhile. And those cheesy potatoes or pintos and cheese at Taco Bell. Yum!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I really sympathize. As a diabetic, I had to give up all starchy/naturally sweet foods and its hard to live that way... eating out and cravings. I don't really have much advice because the consequences for eating "wrong" are pretty grave for me and that pretty much took care of it. I love JIB burgers too and McD's double cheese but I bring it home, remove the bun and put it on my own low-carb bread (Aunt Hatties) so I don't have to give those up but pass on the fries. One thing you might try is getting the burger and fries, bring them home, split into two meals, eat one half with an apple maybe? and heat the other up in the micro wave the second day. That should cut calorie intake by half or so.

MBTI
    INFP

Putting on weight, if you eat like that, should not be your biggest concern. I am skinny and in shape, but I am suffering the consequences of eating high-fat food because now I have health problems to deal with.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

It's interesting to note that most people I know who regularly eat fast food are skinny or average at most. I also know a lot of people who are overweight and never even touch fast food. I really don't think that fast food is a cause of obesity in of itself as much as genetics. I think the conceptions of fast food necessarily causing obesity is skewed by the media which is largely anti-corporation.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    It's interesting to note that most people I know who regularly eat fast food are skinny or average at most. I also know a lot of people who are overweight and never even touch fast food. I really don't think that fast food is a cause of obesity in of itself as much as genetics. I think the conceptions of fast food necessarily causing obesity is skewed by the media which is largely anti-corporation.
    What about the 10 pound weight gain? Yes, could be genetic but does it really matter when the change in weight came after fast food?

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you only eat like 2 times a day. Maybe 3 (unless you're an ectomorph). If you eat more often, before you become really hungry, you're cravings will subside dramatically.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

There can be depression, anxiety and uncontrollable urge to stuff your mouth full of food after 1-7 days of healthy living, and then it'll pass. Count in some 3 weeks more of irritation from a changed diet .. especially from lack of fats, sugar and salt. Then you'll be fine. Just bite the tongue for the time it takes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Is there anything you love that is easy to prepare that you could kind of stockpile at home? Sometimes the hassle of leaving the house is enough to keep me from hitting a drive-through. Maybe also keep some tasty snackage in your car so when you get a craving, you can eat that instead and hopefully the craving will pass.

I had a bad thing going for vegetable lo mein there for awhile. And those cheesy potatoes or pintos and cheese at Taco Bell. Yum!
    I do love mashed potatoes. I guess I could stock pile up on those frozen ones because they are real easy to make and that would probably give me my starch fix instead of deep fried curly fries.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    What about the 10 pound weight gain? Yes, could be genetic but does it really matter when the change in weight came after fast food?
    Indeed. Most of my family is fat, but it seems fast food and junk food seem to have an especially bad effect on us. I once gave up soda for 6 weeks and lost around 20 pounds. But the cravings for that nearly killed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and guess that you only eat like 2 times a day. Maybe 3 (unless you're an ectomorph). If you eat more often, before you become really hungry, you're cravings will subside dramatically.
    Actually I tend to snack throughout the day. I usually only have one big meal a day and that is usually in the evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.