• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me conquer my fast food addiction!

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
It seems that I have become addicted to Jack in the Box. I get terrible cravings for their ultimate cheese burger with curly fries. I've already gained ten pounds and spent a sizable portion of my food budget on their less than nutritious food. I tried to quit cold turkey but the cravings got me.

Does anyone else have a fast food addiction? Has anyone beaten one before? Any suggestions to save me before I end up looking like this guy?

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2007/03/ChrisLepp_450x653.jpg

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I dunno, I pretty much live off fast food.. I usually get picked on for being too skinny :/

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Is there anything you love that is easy to prepare that you could kind of stockpile at home? Sometimes the hassle of leaving the house is enough to keep me from hitting a drive-through. Maybe also keep some tasty snackage in your car so when you get a craving, you can eat that instead and hopefully the craving will pass.

I had a bad thing going for vegetable lo mein there for awhile. And those cheesy potatoes or pintos and cheese at Taco Bell. Yum!

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I really sympathize. As a diabetic, I had to give up all starchy/naturally sweet foods and its hard to live that way... eating out and cravings. I don't really have much advice because the consequences for eating "wrong" are pretty grave for me and that pretty much took care of it. I love JIB burgers too and McD's double cheese but I bring it home, remove the bun and put it on my own low-carb bread (Aunt Hatties) so I don't have to give those up but pass on the fries. One thing you might try is getting the burger and fries, bring them home, split into two meals, eat one half with an apple maybe? and heat the other up in the micro wave the second day. That should cut calorie intake by half or so.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Putting on weight, if you eat like that, should not be your biggest concern. I am skinny and in shape, but I am suffering the consequences of eating high-fat food because now I have health problems to deal with.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's interesting to note that most people I know who regularly eat fast food are skinny or average at most. I also know a lot of people who are overweight and never even touch fast food. I really don't think that fast food is a cause of obesity in of itself as much as genetics. I think the conceptions of fast food necessarily causing obesity is skewed by the media which is largely anti-corporation.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
It's interesting to note that most people I know who regularly eat fast food are skinny or average at most. I also know a lot of people who are overweight and never even touch fast food. I really don't think that fast food is a cause of obesity in of itself as much as genetics. I think the conceptions of fast food necessarily causing obesity is skewed by the media which is largely anti-corporation.

What about the 10 pound weight gain? Yes, could be genetic but does it really matter when the change in weight came after fast food?

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm going to go ahead and guess that you only eat like 2 times a day. Maybe 3 (unless you're an ectomorph). If you eat more often, before you become really hungry, you're cravings will subside dramatically.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
There can be depression, anxiety and uncontrollable urge to stuff your mouth full of food after 1-7 days of healthy living, and then it'll pass. Count in some 3 weeks more of irritation from a changed diet .. especially from lack of fats, sugar and salt. Then you'll be fine. Just bite the tongue for the time it takes.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Is there anything you love that is easy to prepare that you could kind of stockpile at home? Sometimes the hassle of leaving the house is enough to keep me from hitting a drive-through. Maybe also keep some tasty snackage in your car so when you get a craving, you can eat that instead and hopefully the craving will pass.

I had a bad thing going for vegetable lo mein there for awhile. And those cheesy potatoes or pintos and cheese at Taco Bell. Yum!

I do love mashed potatoes. I guess I could stock pile up on those frozen ones because they are real easy to make and that would probably give me my starch fix instead of deep fried curly fries.

What about the 10 pound weight gain? Yes, could be genetic but does it really matter when the change in weight came after fast food?

Indeed. Most of my family is fat, but it seems fast food and junk food seem to have an especially bad effect on us. I once gave up soda for 6 weeks and lost around 20 pounds. But the cravings for that nearly killed me.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you only eat like 2 times a day. Maybe 3 (unless you're an ectomorph). If you eat more often, before you become really hungry, you're cravings will subside dramatically.

Actually I tend to snack throughout the day. I usually only have one big meal a day and that is usually in the evening.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Find an activity you enjoy and get to it regularly?

Usually the craving for unhealthy stuff cuts down if you start getting active and occupy the mind and body with better things.

What's driving you to snack on fast food if you've never done so previously though?

Drink more water.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Find an activity you enjoy and get to it regularly?

Usually the craving for unhealthy stuff cuts down if you start getting active and occupy the mind and body with better things.

What's driving you to snack on fast food if you've never done so previously though?

Drink more water.

I was sick for three weeks and just couldn't get motivated to do much of anything. I ate a lot of fast food during that time and now I'm chasing the curly fries dragon. :cry: It was easier getting off the Vicodin I was taking than it is getting off this crap. :steam:

I would like to get out biking more. I've been locked inside a great deal. I could also drink a lot more water and a lot less juice and soda.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ahh. That explains it. Comfort food. :hug:

Well. You're not sick now, are you? So why do you still wish for the comfort? :D

Water because sometimes you're not flushing out the system adequately, and when you think you're hungry, you're actually thirsty more.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You don't necessarily have to drink water, though. Switching to diet pop makes a difference. I lost a lot of weight when I started drinking diet pop. It tastes funny at first but you get used to it and then regular pop tastes like syrup.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
wow, i used to be addicted to fast food, and i've totally beat my addiction. I never eat fast food anymore. I also used to love that beautiful Ultimate cheeseburger, until i saw the nutrition information for it, and then it made me feel a bit sick.

the ultimate cheese burger has 1010 calories and 71 grams of fat!
and then if you add curly fries to it, which i always did. Thats 550 calories and over 30 grams of fat. That is more calories in one meal than i eat in a whole day now.

I've never been like really fat, which is surprising when i look back at the way i used to eat. I am a bit overweight, but i like to keep my curves. ;) .
I've lost about 25 pounds since i quit eating fast food.
I'm still addicted to food in general, but now i only put healthy things in my body.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
You don't necessarily have to drink water, though. Switching to diet pop makes a difference. I lost a lot of weight when I started drinking diet pop. It tastes funny at first but you get used to it and then regular pop tastes like syrup.

Diet drinks are worse than their counterparts. Diet sodas may be 'lower' in sugar but they are still loaded with horrible ingredients.

I used to like them too. But I've ditched all sodas. I've found myself better off without them as well as for people I've known who've either stopped or are trying to.

Our bodies are 60% water or so and our brains are 70% water or so. We'd die without water sooner than if we didn't have food to eat. Drinking water or at least natural juices is better. But if you'd rather drink diet sodas, then your choice to. :D Have you tried stopping though, to see if you feel better or how it might effect you?

Whooooooa @ scantilyclad. Those are some crazy figures....

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
wow, i used to be addicted to fast food, and i've totally beat my addiction. I never eat fast food anymore. I also used to love that beautiful Ultimate cheeseburger, until i saw the nutrition information for it, and then it made me feel a bit sick.

the ultimate cheese burger has 1010 calories and 71 grams of fat!
and then if you add curly fries to it, which i always did. Thats 550 calories and over 30 grams of fat. That is more calories in one meal than i eat in a whole day now.

I've never been like really fat, which is surprising when i look back at the way i used to eat. I am a bit overweight, but i like to keep my curves. ;) .
I've lost about 25 pounds since i quit eating fast food.
I'm still addicted to food in general, but now i only put healthy things in my body.

You eat less than 1500 calories a day?

I feel bad for eating Chick-Fil-A while reading this thread.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You eat less than 1500 calories a day?

I feel bad for eating Chick-Fil-A while reading this thread.

i usually eat 1300 to 1500 calories a day. One day a week i'll eat 2000, just to help control cravings for the rest of the week.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I forgot:

Go rent the movie "Super Size It"... you may never eat fast food again.