• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me conquer my fast food addiction!

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You can also watch all the super obese shows on discovery health, that always makes me not want to eat.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
It's interesting to note that most people I know who regularly eat fast food are skinny or average at most. I also know a lot of people who are overweight and never even touch fast food. I really don't think that fast food is a cause of obesity in of itself as much as genetics. I think the conceptions of fast food necessarily causing obesity is skewed by the media which is largely anti-corporation.
Not true. Those that eat fast food as a good portion of their meals normally eat maybe 2 meals a day. A surplus of calories = weight gain, period. Fast food is high calorie and fatty which means your body will most likely store a portion of it as fat (unless your body is just burning off everything you eat because of high metabolism or because of a deficit in calories). So if you aren't eating a lot in a given day (regardless of what type of food it is), you won't gain significant amounts of fat. That doesn't mean that you are treating your body optimally and aren't slowly clogging your arteries though. Like Dana said, your diet shouldn't be dictated by your weight solely. It's a knowledge of nutrition that's important.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I forgot:

Go rent the movie "Super Size It"... you may never eat fast food again.

I've seen it. I love his movies, and his 30 Days series was the bomb. Especially the one where he lived on minimum wage for a month.

You can also watch all the super obese shows on discovery health, that always makes me not want to eat.

Those shows usually make me hungry. It's anorexic super models that kill my appetite.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:cry: I can't eat most fast food because it will kill me :( Sad, because I like nothing better than a good bacon cheeseburger :doh:

The easiest way to give something up is if you've made a deal with someone else- like the time I made a deal with an alcoholic friend that he'd give up drinking more than 4 beers a day for a month if I gave up all forms of junk food- including french fries (I adore french fries :wubbie:) This was back when I could actually EAT everything! I resented every minute of it, but I didn't want to break a promise, so I managed a month (including a road trip :dry:) without junk food of any sort :yay:

That, or informing yourself that it will kill you- which is how I quit eating bread :boohoo:

I totally sympathize though- when sick I want nothing more than a plate of french fries and some ice cream! :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
wow, i used to be addicted to fast food, and i've totally beat my addiction. I never eat fast food anymore. I also used to love that beautiful Ultimate cheeseburger, until i saw the nutrition information for it, and then it made me feel a bit sick.

the ultimate cheese burger has 1010 calories and 71 grams of fat!
and then if you add curly fries to it, which i always did. Thats 550 calories and over 30 grams of fat. That is more calories in one meal than i eat in a whole day now.

I've never been like really fat, which is surprising when i look back at the way i used to eat. I am a bit overweight, but i like to keep my curves. ;) .
I've lost about 25 pounds since i quit eating fast food.
I'm still addicted to food in general, but now i only put healthy things in my body.
Yeah, last time I was in an airport and had a layover I got mcdonalds to eat and I had a big mac and looked at the nutrion info and I so badly wanted to go throw it up. Never again never ever again am I going to read nutrion information on fast food.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I forgot:

Go rent the movie "Super Size It"... you may never eat fast food again.

Super size me... I found it to be fascinating in a sickening way... :D

I've pretty much always been far too skinny. I suppose it's due to genetics... Hmmm ways to reduce fast food consumption.

Ummm about the curly fries... perhaps you can buy frozen fries or something that you bake yourself? That'll reduce the oil. Also all that salt isn't good for you either... try to cut back on that. High sodium diets is as bad for you as fat/cholesterol. Leads to water retention = weight gain. Not to mention it's bad for your heart and kidneys.

As to the burgers... x-X Would substituting with say a roast beef sandwich or something help? Not sure if you have Arbys down at the states... but they make really good roast beef sandwiches with cheese. Yum! Although they're also famous for their curly fries... it's uhhh difficult to not order it. I'm not helping much am I? :doh:

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
High sodium also leads to high blood pressure. ;)

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
guys... he has to eat something still. :D

Ok Kiddo, what could we offer to entice you to give up fast food. :D *secrets thread part 3 warning?*

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Just think about how clogged your artery's will be if you continue eating crap. You can also watch Fast Food Nation and Super Size Me and those should keep you from stuffing your face. I've given up caffeine and started drinking water in an effort to become healthier and I hardly ever eat fried foods or french fries. If I go to McDonald's I usually get 2 grilled snack wraps without sauce and a bottle of water.

You can do it! :static:

Edit: Sorry for the repeat reference to Super Size Me. What can I say, it's a great movie. Made me start thinking about my food choices, well that and my DR said my cholesterol was on the high side.

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
wow, i used to be addicted to fast food, and i've totally beat my addiction. I never eat fast food anymore. I also used to love that beautiful Ultimate cheeseburger, until i saw the nutrition information for it, and then it made me feel a bit sick.

the ultimate cheese burger has 1010 calories and 71 grams of fat!
and then if you add curly fries to it, which i always did. Thats 550 calories and over 30 grams of fat. That is more calories in one meal than i eat in a whole day now.

I've never been like really fat, which is surprising when i look back at the way i used to eat. I am a bit overweight, but i like to keep my curves. ;) .
I've lost about 25 pounds since i quit eating fast food.
I'm still addicted to food in general, but now i only put healthy things in my body.

At least you're not addicted to Monte Cristo's.

Alright, I used to work for Bennigan's. It is nearly impossible to find Nutrition Facts for their food, most notably because the Monte Cristo Sandwich (a battered, deep fried sandwich, containing American/swiss and turkey/ham, covered in powdered sugar, and served with raspberry jam) is 3000 calories on its own; without including the fries. I don't know the grams of fat, but shit...this sandwich "will" kill you. The last GM we had had actually been at a store when someone had a heart attack while eating one.

There's so much grease on this thing it'll make you sick. Also, if you've never tried one, don't; you've been warned. :D

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
Start to exercise. Seriously, when you exercise regularly, you feel so good, you'll just ignore the potato chips and grab an apple instead.

Even when you feel like eating junk food, go for the relatively lower fat ones. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. Works like a charm.

If you get a sudden craving for junk food when you're not even hungry, pop a mint in your mouth or brush your teeth if you're at home. The minty feeling destroys the craving completely!

skip

MBTI Type
INTP
I second the regular exercise. You'd be surprised how your body starts craving healthy stuff.

Btw, when was the last time you had a really nice sit-down, from-scratch, delicious, high-quality meal?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Find some mints. Eat them.

Ever tried having one of those cheese burgers after a strong mint? Not something I'd like to repeat.

Thinking about it that works for most things... except smoking.. tried that.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Find some mints. Eat them.

Ever tried having one of those cheese burgers after a strong mint? Not something I'd like to repeat.

Thinking about it that works for most things... except smoking.. tried that.

That does work... to cut calories further, sucking on sugar free peppermint hard candy works. I learned the hard way... lemonaide after sucking on the candy... eeeewww! Now I use it like Xander said.

Rhu

Morlock
MBTI Type
Pfft
My suggestion: go to McDonald's one more time, and keep this in mind while you're there:

Observe the temperature and texture. Realize that by the time you finish it, parts of it are room temperature. Why? Because you are eating lard. No. Seriously. Imagine putting the thing in boiling water and seeing it dissolve into a pearly, translucent, bubbling and popping layer of thick grease. Like a cross between gravy and Elmer's paste.

Next, take in the smell. You know what that is? That's the smell of dead, dehydrated blood cells. Take another long whiff. Remember it. Keep it in the back of your mind. It will smell exactly the same after your body is done processing it. In fact, your post-bodily-process-product will smell just like that if you didn't eat it at all.

If that doesn't help, then just enjoy. Enjoy your salty, congealed grease pie, layered with unidentifiable yellow melted waxy substance, that smells like poop. I can only imagine that you were something akin to an Ouroboros during the Olestra era.

how'd i do?

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
My suggestion: go to McDonald's one more time, and keep this in mind while you're there:

Observe the temperature and texture. Realize that by the time you finish it, parts of it are room temperature. Why? Because you are eating lard. No. Seriously. Imagine putting the thing in boiling water and seeing it dissolve into a pearly, translucent, bubbling and popping layer of thick grease. Like a cross between gravy and Elmer's paste.

Next, take in the smell. You know what that is? That's the smell of dead, dehydrated blood cells. Take another long whiff. Remember it. Keep it in the back of your mind. It will smell exactly the same after your body is done processing it. In fact, your post-bodily-process-product will smell just like that if you didn't eat it at all.

If that doesn't help, then just enjoy. Enjoy your salty, congealed grease pie, layered with unidentifiable yellow melted waxy substance, that smells like poop. I can only imagine that you were something akin to an Ouroboros during the Olestra era.

how'd i do?

Ugh. You did very well. :sick: Gross. I'm never going to McDonald's ever again.