Socionics
    Booo

MRT sounds good for you:

http://www.squidoo.com/metabolic-resistance-training

Benefits of MRT

- Burns a lot more calories during the workout
    - It creates a strong after burn effect/EPOC
    - You will continue to burn more calories for many hours after the workout
    - Can be performed everywhere, is time efficient and needs minimal equipment
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

RDF

A good overview article on the latest scientific approaches to exercising: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/ma...xercise-t.html

MBTI
    INTJ

Crossfit!

You can adapt it to your fitness level and the equipment that you possess (or can get cheaply or easily). I love lifting weights and did it for years but crossfit will get you in much better overall shape and give you better functional strength. I've seen a number of guys that look absolutely normal or even a little pudgy that are physical beasts because of crossfit.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISTx

IMO, exercising and getting your butt in shape is not about enjoyment. If you can find physical activities that you enjoy, then that's great but I see it as icing on the cake. I've gotten myself back out and running again and I hate running. I go to the gym and work out when I don't really want to. Fact is, it's going to hurt if you've lived a sedentary lifestyle and want to drastically improve your fitness level/physique.

DISCIPLINE

Good luck.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    IMO, exercising and getting your butt in shape is not about enjoyment. If you can find physical activities that you enjoy, then that's great but I see it as icing on the cake. I've gotten myself back out and running again and I hate running. I go to the gym and work out when I don't really want to. Fact is, it's going to hurt if you've lived a sedentary lifestyle and want to drastically improve your fitness level/physique.

DISCIPLINE

Good luck.
    I just lied to myself and told me I liked it. It worked great, and now I don't have to kid myself anymore. Dishonesty can sometimes be the best policy.

MBTI
    INFP

Running. I run every morning for approximately 40-60 minutes. It improves your mood, gives you energy, trims fat, gives you a healthy glow.. (I know you're a guy so that might not be way up there on your list ) It's such a great natural high. It makes me feel fierce.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The best excercise (in my opinion) is anything fun enough to keep you coming back.

For me that's been MMA.

According to me Swimming is best exercise. Swimming is also an effective form of fat-burning exercise. Swimming does exercise almost the entire body, heart, lungs, and muscles with very little joint strain.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Nothing stuck for me until I started skating. Now I could probably break all y'all.

Seriously though, it's going to be specific to you, what you find fulfilling and fun. But Quinlan's suggestion is awesome- metabolic resistance training is the shiz. I use it for cross training because if I skate every day my ankles act up. I would never have stuck with it, though, if I didn't have the goal of being a better skater and derby player to motivate me.

If you like swimming, but stopped because of body image issues, could you get a swim shirt? Or just psych yourself up and stop caring what people think of your body in a pair of swim trunks. Our bodies are amazing- even if we carry extra weight or have a weird-looking navel. It's an incredible machine and IMO it's always beautiful when it's being used and honored and taken care of with exercise. I'm sure there are people who see me in the gym and think "ew, fatty!" but fuck'em. I'm working on it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lock the thread- there's a bug that does it automagically sometimes when a mod or admin posts in a thread.