• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do you think you're fat or skinny?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am skinny. Broad-shouldered, yeah, but skinny. :dry: If I thought by any stretch of the imagination that I were fat, I would definitely have an eating disorder. I could stand to put on a significant amount of weight.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The way to avoid that is to build muscle. I grew up dancing, riding my bike, swimming, gymnastics, twirling, some cheerleading et al...and I have muscle in my arms and legs.

My mother had this same physique as a younger woman. She was a cheerleader in high school, an exotic dancer at one point, and was a gym rat in her 30's and early 40's and even dated a body builder at one point after she divorced her second husband. I actually remember her looking a little TOO muscular and have always strived to avoid it.

But now that she's in her 50's she's had some problems with severe arthritis that have not allowed her to be as physically active for quite some time (though she walks and does house work, etc.) and it has made her arms and legs skinnier. One of my aunts is the same way.

I've always had muscle, but it's because I've always been physically active. People comment that I'm stronger than I look. The thing is I know with my body type if I ever become more sedentary, I would have twig legs and arms and a round mid-section.

So the key is to build muscle. Eat more protein and do weight training if you must.
That will help, but there is some genetic stuff going on too. I have a reasonable amount of muscle, especially in my legs, but still put on weight in my stomach first - always. The muscle will make your arms and legs less skinny, but won't actually stop fat from going to your stomach. You need to lower overall body fat percentage for that. I wish it wasn't true, too. :(

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
That will help, but there is some genetic stuff going on too. I have a reasonable amount of muscle, especially in my legs, but still put on weight in my stomach first - always. The muscle will make your arms and legs less skinny, but won't actually stop fat from going to your stomach. You need to lower overall body fat percentage for that. I wish it wasn't true, too. :(

Yes, I know. That's what I'm saying - I have the same body type. If I wasn't a relatively athletic person (I don't consider myself an athlete but I've done some kind of physical exercise for most of my life beyond taking walks) I would have twiggy arms and legs. It's why my butt disappears when I'm quite slim. However, I tend to maintain muscle ALWAYS in my arms and legs, and it's probably because I've been extremely active since childhood, when my body was still forming.

It's just that I didn't think my mother would EVAR have twiggy legs again after how athletic she was. My mother was beautiful even in her early to mid 40's. She looked like she was in her 30's. But because of how extreme her issues have been (she's actually had issues with her bones, and it has to do with anorexia in her teens and early twenties, which I fortunately do not have these bone issues because I've always had proper nutrition) ...she can't do the kind of physical exercise she used to do. So while she got sedentary our genetics came shining through: twiggy arm/legs and belly weight gain.

Yes, I gain weight in my stomach (and boobs, heh) first. But because of my muscle mass I tend to look fairly proportionate as long as I don't actually become overweight.

I HATE being apple shaped AND short. I think being apple shaped would be more tolerable if I were tall.

Within

Permabanned
This story should've gone "Last week, an acquaintance, an Asian male, had scalding hot coffee thrown in his face after suggesting I go on a diet to lose my "fat hips".

That's what they get for being asian and male.

G

Glycerine

I am probably getting skinny fat. I can't fit into my size 0 pants/skirts at all. I have eating so much crap over the past year.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am probably getting skinny fat. I can't fit into my size 0 pants/skirts at all. I have eating so much crap over the past year.

Skinny fat means that you have no muscle tone, and that you have fat around your internal organs, and potentially have high cholesterol, even though you look slim.

It doesn't mean that you can't fit in your size 0. ;)

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have never been remotely skinny. :dry:

G

Glycerine

Skinny fat means that you have no muscle tone, and that you have fat around your internal organs, and potentially have high cholesterol, even though you look slim.

It doesn't mean that you can't fit in your size 0. ;)
I actually wouldn't be surprised if that becomes true if I continue my current lifestyle. I hardly have stamina left unlike last year.

After I finish the stressors of college (in two weeks), I am going to become more active and build up stamina. :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I actually wouldn't be surprised if that becomes true if I continue my current lifestyle. I hardly have stamina left unlike last year.

After I finish the stressors of college (in two weeks), I am going to become more active and build up stamina. :D

The way to avoid skinny fat is aerobic exercise. That's why sometimes even "big people" can be healthier than someone who looks very slender. By "big people" I don't mean morbidly obese, of course, but simply a person who is physically bigger because of their weight/build.

I think it also helps to use olive oil, avoid trans fats, and eat fish and nuts, and to not eat red meat every day. Red wine also helps cholesterol.

My ESFJ friend had high cholesterol in her 40's despite looking slim and attractive. My mother has had good levels of cholesterol because of the way she cooks and eats, despite being apple shaped and carrying some weight in her mid-section.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Mmm, you mean anaerobic. Anaerobic exercise boost your metabolism, muscle growth etc.

No actually I mean aerobic. I don't think anaerobic exercise is necessary for average people who just don't want to have heart disease.

It's more for people who train athletically, who want a faster metabolism or to build muscle. If you're "skinny fat" there's a strong possibility that you already have a fast metabolism - but you eat shit and/or never exercise.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
No actually I mean aerobic. I don't think anaerobic exercise is necessary for average people who just don't want to have heart disease.

It's more for people who train athletically, who want a faster metabolism or to build muscle. If you're "skinny fat" there's a strong possibility that you already have a fast metabolism - but you eat shit and/or never exercise.

Well, generally speaking being skinny-fat has a lot to do with...being skinny. Aerobic exercise does help when it comes to burning more calories and eventually fat, however it doesn't necessarily ampen up your basal metabolism (large amounts of aerobic exercise can instead lower your basal metabolism) and reduce your fat percentage by means of higher muscle mass - which is the "healthy" way to do it, especially for males. I do personally think - and have experienced - how a fair 30-70 program (30% anaerobic, 70% aerobic) can work much better than a purely aerobic-based exercise regimen.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, generally speaking being skinny-fat has a lot to do with...being skinny. Aerobic exercise does help when it comes to burning more calories and eventually fat, however it doesn't necessarily ampen up your basal metabolism (large amounts of aerobic exercise can instead lower your basal metabolism) and reduce your fat percentage by means of higher muscle mass - which is the "healthy" way to do it, especially for males. I do personally think - and have experienced - how a fair 30-70 program (30% anaerobic, 70% aerobic) can work much better than a purely aerobic-based exercise regimen.

Dude, it's less beneficial to cardiovascular fitness. It's fine for people who are into fitness, exercise, and training, but no, the average person doesn't need to do sprints so that they don't have a fucking heart attack, no they do not.

You're a rather athletic person, so I think your perception of this is kind of skewed. I'm not talking about a person looking for maximum fitness training, or great sexy muscle definition, I'm talking more about not dying.

You have to be very fit to begin with to even do anaerobic interval training. You should know this if you're that into fitness.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Dude, it's less beneficial to cardiovascular fitness. It's fine for people who are into fitness, exercise, and training, but no, the average person doesn't need to do sprints so that they don't have a fucking heart attack, no they do not.

You're a rather athletic person, so I think your perception of this is kind of skewed. I'm not talking about a person looking for maximum fitness training, or great sexy muscle definition, I'm talking more about not dying.

You have to be very fit to begin with to even do anaerobic interval training. You should know this if you're that into fitness.

Glycerine is pretty young, I'm just saying that such kind of training would give better results in shorter time, for his overall fitness - both cardio-vascular and muscular. It's not less beneficial...it's only less beneficial when you focus exclusively on anaerobic training. A combination is generally optimal.

Even if someone doesn't care about "fitness", having a "fit" overall muscle&respiratory apparatus helps a lot in everyday life - less back aches, easier handling of tasks that require some strength, etc.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Glycerine is pretty young, I'm just saying that such kind of training would give better results in shorter time, for his overall fitness - both cardio-vascular and muscular. It's not less beneficial...it's only less beneficial when you focus exclusively on anaerobic training. A combination is generally optimal.

Glycerine is a female, and I'm making a suggestion of basic level fitness. To have a basic level of fitness, you need aerobic exercise first.

Tell most people that they need to do sprints and they're going to laugh in your face.

I remember the first time JTG told me that I should start doing sprints, I was like....really...that's kind of...scary. And that's me, who is a pretty active person already.

If you say that to someone whose idea of exercise is walking around the mall, or doing a yoga video, they're going to look at you like you are INSANE.

I, personally, will take your tip about anaerobic exercise, but I'm not foolish enough to think it's a wise thing to start recommending around to people for their health.

To someone into health and nutrition, it actually seems kind of irresponsible to promote it without a disclaimer of, hey, you should probably be able to at least run two or three miles before you do this.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Wait, I must have confused Gliceryne with someone else then. I thougth she was a male around 28-30 who lives in Israel, lol. Probably someone with the same nickname.

Anyway, I never talked about sprints - you've been talking about them, not me. Some very light weight training (or calysthenics) can definitely be anaerobic for someone with zero fitness level. For example, Pilates is a form of (relatively light) anaerobic training.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wait, I must have confused Gliceryne with someone else then. I thougth she was a male around 28-30 who lives in Israel, lol. Probably someone with the same nickname.

Anyway, I never talked about sprints - you've been talking about them, not me. Some very light weight training (or calysthenics) can definitely be anaerobic for someone with zero fitness level. For example, Pilates is a form of (relatively light) anaerobic training.

You're just talking about lifting light weights? Yeah I already mentioned that earlier in a post to someone to build muscle mass. Pilates is more challenging, though.

Of course if you build muscle you're going to burn more calories, etc. But telling people to just lift weights is not going to lower their cholesterol. That was my point, I was focusing on the health angle ...because women can be "skinny fat" but look attractive. Like my friend who had high cholesterol.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yea, I agree, for women it's also somewhat different - I was totally sure that Glycerine was a guy :D