• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do you think you're fat or skinny?

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
I feel like a size 88 fat disgusting pig.

But I'm in the single digits in US sizes.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm overweight by objective standards. My BMI is 28. If you're above 25, you're considered overweight.

The weight tends to stubbornly stay on me and I must have large bones or something because if I tell people my real weight, they don't seem to believe I could possibly weigh that much.

I'm around the same BMI. About underestimating weight, that seems very common when people try to guess women's weight. Being secretive about your weight is so common for women that people have no idea what certain weight ranges tend to look like. They can see a fit 140 pound woman and guess she's around 115, or imagine a 160 pound woman looks like 200 pound one actually does.

I don't know if BMI is crazy, or we're just outgrowing it, (physically).. Since we're getting so big as a society. People are getting used to looking at big people. So, morbidly obese people just look big... Obese people just look large. Overweight people look normal. Normal people look thin. and so on down the line.

Yeah, and I think that's behind some of the fuss and "concern" people work up over thin women. People are used to being around the mildly overweight and thinking of that as the norm (at least in real life, there are entirely different standards for actresses,etc.).

I don't believe in using BMI as the sole measure of a healthy weight for individuals, because of variation in muscle mass and build and all that. But as a general rule, it does correlate fairly well with body fat levels. I've read a lot of jobs with fitness requirements will merely use it as a flag for further testing (people who are above a certain BMI are required to take a body fat test, and if that's not too high they're fine and aren't required to lose weight).

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
I'm fat. :sadbanana:

I prolly want to lose about 10 kg's and get alot more toned, that's my goal and ideal. I gained weight when I was an emo teenager and stopped a 10 year volleyball hobby.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, and I think that's behind some of the fuss and "concern" people work up over thin women. People are used to being around the mildly overweight and thinking of that as the norm (at least in real life, there are entirely different standards for actresses,etc.)

Yes, I've noticed how women from older generations respond favorably to my size/figure, commenting on how they remember when they were that tiny once. To them, I am simply normal for a woman in her 20s who has never had kids. Women from younger generations are the ones who make the negative comments, saying I need to eat something or whatever, but that's because they & their daughters have never been thin, but instead have always been a bit overweight.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I've noticed how women from older generations respond favorably to my size/figure, commenting on how they remember when they were that tiny once. To them, I am simply normal for a woman in her 20s who has never had kids. Women from younger generations are the ones who make the negative comments, saying I need to eat something or whatever, but that's because they & their daughters have never been thin, but instead have always been a bit overweight.

Yea, I don't really like comments about physique at all. (Whether it's the middle aged woman saying "I used to look like you back in the day", or someone saying, "Man, you are tiny." or my favorite, "I don't have time to stay in shape like you do.") I just really hate the whole gammot of comments. I'm hesitant to say that someone over the normal BMI is actually "overweight", like Chaotic said.. you can be fit and hold a lot of muscle and feel good and be heavier. I just think that people should stay as healthy as they can manage and let their body decide what's normal. But man, I always want to say to people who make comments, "My BMI is 24 or 25, man. I'm young, feel good about my body, and staying in shape and eating right is a priority in my life right now. No need to make awkward comments because you are insecure." Being factual about body shape is fine with me. I pointed out once to my size one friend, (natural, small boned size 1) that my legs were twice the size of hers. (Because she insisted that I borrow her jeans.) She thought I was insulting myself. I wasn't. I'm just not a size one. Then put our legs side by side and I showed her. Then she was getting all, "well you look like you could fit in a size one." Like as if she was trying to console me. I'm like, "No, I don't. I look fine either way though." Health is important. Not borrowing small jeans.

Edit: See, if I had met you, (Orange), and we got into this conversation. And I could see that you were thin, you would never catch me making any comment with any emotional, jealous, or otherwise connotation to it. If I thought you looked sunken, or pale, or your eyes or nails or teeth looked poor, or I could see your ribs, I would be concerned about your nutrition. But, if you are just plain really thin, then, you're fine. I don't understand these women who get all weird with their comments.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, as long as you are fit and healthy I don't see why size really matters a whole lot. I know a girl that makes me look like a twig... Even now that I'm pregnant... And she can run more miles than me, she can dance circles around me in basketball, and she's flat out in better shape than me. But to look at the two of us, people probably think I'm the healthier of the two. While I am a very healthy person, she's definitely got me beat.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
My goal is to lose 10 pounds. I'm at the upper end of my "normal" BMI and I'd rather be more in the middle of it.

I just feel kind of lumpy. Not as svelte and sexy as I'd like. :laugh:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm too skinny. I need to gain 20 pounds of muscle and get a nicer ass.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think everybody has a natural weight and body shape, not necessarily an optimum but a level in which they eat healthy and exercise regularly and the body reacts by being in the zone :newwink:.
It varies a great deal for different people. I know in the states the average size is quite high as you have obesity issues, here in the uk the average size for a woman is a uk14 (us10).
I have a friends who's natural size is a uk16 and she looks fantastic, any smaller and she would really quite pained...stretched if you will.
I'd say i'm stilll a little overweight but just a smidgen, i'm roughly 4kg's off what i want to be, what i am naturally best at...not a lot really.
Also i think this thread misses out slim, average and a whole plethora of other weight classes but then i suppose that whats the responses are about.
I'd say i'm slim. I'm a uk8-10 (us4-6).
But the important thing is for everyone to feel happy about themselves...
I like to think i merit people on a lot more than their body weight/shape.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yea, I don't really like comments about physique at all. (Whether it's the middle aged woman saying "I used to look like you back in the day", or someone saying, "Man, you are tiny." or my favorite, "I don't have time to stay in shape like you do.") I just really hate the whole gammot of comments. I'm hesitant to say that someone over the normal BMI is actually "overweight", like Chaotic said.. you can be fit and hold a lot of muscle and feel good and be heavier. I just think that people should stay as healthy as they can manage and let their body decide what's normal. But man, I always want to say to people who make comments, "My BMI is 24 or 25, man. I'm young, feel good about my body, and staying in shape and eating right is a priority in my life right now. No need to make awkward comments because you are insecure." Being factual about body shape is fine with me. I pointed out once to my size one friend, (natural, small boned size 1) that my legs were twice the size of hers. (Because she insisted that I borrow her jeans.) She thought I was insulting myself. I wasn't. I'm just not a size one. Then put our legs side by side and I showed her. Then she was getting all, "well you look like you could fit in a size one." Like as if she was trying to console me. I'm like, "No, I don't. I look fine either way though." Health is important. Not borrowing small jeans.

Edit: See, if I had met you, (Orange), and we got into this conversation. And I could see that you were thin, you would never catch me making any comment with any emotional, jealous, or otherwise connotation to it. If I thought you looked sunken, or pale, or your eyes or nails or teeth looked poor, or I could see your ribs, I would be concerned about your nutrition. But, if you are just plain really thin, then, you're fine. I don't understand these women who get all weird with their comments.

I dislike the body comments also, as far as size goes. Even the positive ones can be a bit awkward when there are assumptions tied into it or wistful longings for their youth. It also makes you acutely aware of just how much people are noticing your body & passing some kind of judgment on it, and that's uncomfortable when you think about how you are not going to be young with this body forever.

I think everybody has a natural weight and body shape, not necessarily an optimum but a level in which they eat healthy and exercise regularly and the body reacts by being in the zone :newwink:.
It varies a great deal for different people.

I agree with this, as the range of healthy weight for any given height is very broad. I mean, at 5'8, it's healthy for a woman to be anywhere from about 120-170 lbs. That's a 50 lb range. For me personally, the low end is where I'm at when healthiest, but for another woman, the high end may be where her body settles when leading a healthy lifestyle.

I know in the states the average size is quite high as you have obesity issues, here in the uk the average size for a woman is a uk14 (us10).

FYI: The UK has obesity issues also...they're not far behind the US.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Average/Healthy. A lil bit of fat for tough times, and a diet that consists solely out of whatever the hell I want to eat, keeps me a happy bugger.

People who know me often wonder what my intestines are made off and picture my stomach as a disintegration furnace.

Sunny Ghost

^I have a similar problem, except it's only my gut. I seem to put on weight in my gut first, so I typically feel like a stick figure with a circle in the middle for a tummy. My arms and legs have only recently begun to get bigger... but in comparison to my mid section, they're still very thin. It's an oddity and certainly doesn't look good with weight put on.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I'm a good size. Slightly bigger than average, but not overweight. My only qualm is that I'm not fit. But I know for a fact that I'm not skinny.

Although I would probably think of myself as skinny if I didn't go to a college where pretty much everyone plays a sport... It's really a relative thing.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How I view myself, and how others view me has never matched up. When I've been slim in the past I've felt uncomfortable, weight is a coping method for me. I want that to change tho.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm 5'11 and 117 lbs. On the slim side.

It's slightly disturbing that my elbow joint bone is wider than my entire upper arm. :thelook:

I haven't gone surfing for a while, which is the only way to keep my arms normal looking.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I don't really get thin or fat. Either I am toned or, if I spend more than one month not exercising, I become more "flabby" or soft. So I guess average works for me, most of the time. Compared to the male population of this region, I guess I still fit the "average" definition.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't really get thin or fat. Either I am toned or, if I spend more than one month not exercising, I become more "flabby" or soft. So I guess average works for me, most of the time. Compared to the male population of this region, I guess I still fit the "average" definition.

weren't you the one posing on your toilet? "Average" is entirely the wrong word. :D

V

violaine

Hmm, well I thought about it way too much, obsessively even, when I was younger. I was super-skinny but I could never see it. I don't know if I had some form of body dysmorphia but I really couldn't tell in the moment how small I was. So, I ended up wondering about it way too much and ended up getting really burned out on that. I actively practice not noticing now. I do know I am small, I still can't tell sometimes when I look in a mirror but as long as I fit into my clothing I don't think beyond that. Really nice to not care.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Slightly flabby. I don't really think about it much though. I have a BMI of 22 +-0.5, which is supposedly in the middle of the healthy range though.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a fat arse. Mostly I don't give a crap, because generally I'm fit and heathly, but, I've really stacked it on with this job, so I feel like a tub of lard. I'm the biggest I ever been, and it's not pleasant. Mind you I have lost weight lately. Shift work is not good for one's body image.
I prefer to be bigger, because I 'm more proportioned, just not this big. My mother used to tell me I was fat, when I was younger, until the day when of her friends told me, I was in fact underweight, after she heard my mother tell me my butt was too fat in church. I was very curvy but I also have a big rack, which when skinny makes me look fat anyway. Lucky, when I pad out a bit, I don't put weight on in the chest area, so it evens things out, and I don't feel like Boobrella. Plus the rebellous soul I'm, the bigger I am, the more angry my mother gets (which I know points to some serious psychological issues, I do know this, but she doesn't get upset because she cares, she's an narcissist) but right now, I've gone too far.