User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

Results 171 to 180 of 217

  1. #171
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    I actually wouldn't be surprised if that becomes true if I continue my current lifestyle. I hardly have stamina left unlike last year.

    After I finish the stressors of college (in two weeks), I am going to become more active and build up stamina.
    The way to avoid skinny fat is aerobic exercise. That's why sometimes even "big people" can be healthier than someone who looks very slender. By "big people" I don't mean morbidly obese, of course, but simply a person who is physically bigger because of their weight/build.

    I think it also helps to use olive oil, avoid trans fats, and eat fish and nuts, and to not eat red meat every day. Red wine also helps cholesterol.

    My ESFJ friend had high cholesterol in her 40's despite looking slim and attractive. My mother has had good levels of cholesterol because of the way she cooks and eats, despite being apple shaped and carrying some weight in her mid-section.

  2. #172
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    The way to avoid skinny fat is aerobic exercise.
    Mmm, you mean anaerobic. Anaerobic exercise boost your metabolism, muscle growth etc.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  3. #173
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Mmm, you mean anaerobic. Anaerobic exercise boost your metabolism, muscle growth etc.
    No actually I mean aerobic. I don't think anaerobic exercise is necessary for average people who just don't want to have heart disease.

    It's more for people who train athletically, who want a faster metabolism or to build muscle. If you're "skinny fat" there's a strong possibility that you already have a fast metabolism - but you eat shit and/or never exercise.

  4. #174
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    No actually I mean aerobic. I don't think anaerobic exercise is necessary for average people who just don't want to have heart disease.

    It's more for people who train athletically, who want a faster metabolism or to build muscle. If you're "skinny fat" there's a strong possibility that you already have a fast metabolism - but you eat shit and/or never exercise.
    Well, generally speaking being skinny-fat has a lot to do with...being skinny. Aerobic exercise does help when it comes to burning more calories and eventually fat, however it doesn't necessarily ampen up your basal metabolism (large amounts of aerobic exercise can instead lower your basal metabolism) and reduce your fat percentage by means of higher muscle mass - which is the "healthy" way to do it, especially for males. I do personally think - and have experienced - how a fair 30-70 program (30% anaerobic, 70% aerobic) can work much better than a purely aerobic-based exercise regimen.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  5. #175
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Well, generally speaking being skinny-fat has a lot to do with...being skinny. Aerobic exercise does help when it comes to burning more calories and eventually fat, however it doesn't necessarily ampen up your basal metabolism (large amounts of aerobic exercise can instead lower your basal metabolism) and reduce your fat percentage by means of higher muscle mass - which is the "healthy" way to do it, especially for males. I do personally think - and have experienced - how a fair 30-70 program (30% anaerobic, 70% aerobic) can work much better than a purely aerobic-based exercise regimen.
    Dude, it's less beneficial to cardiovascular fitness. It's fine for people who are into fitness, exercise, and training, but no, the average person doesn't need to do sprints so that they don't have a fucking heart attack, no they do not.

    You're a rather athletic person, so I think your perception of this is kind of skewed. I'm not talking about a person looking for maximum fitness training, or great sexy muscle definition, I'm talking more about not dying.

    You have to be very fit to begin with to even do anaerobic interval training. You should know this if you're that into fitness.

  6. #176
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Dude, it's less beneficial to cardiovascular fitness. It's fine for people who are into fitness, exercise, and training, but no, the average person doesn't need to do sprints so that they don't have a fucking heart attack, no they do not.

    You're a rather athletic person, so I think your perception of this is kind of skewed. I'm not talking about a person looking for maximum fitness training, or great sexy muscle definition, I'm talking more about not dying.

    You have to be very fit to begin with to even do anaerobic interval training. You should know this if you're that into fitness.
    Glycerine is pretty young, I'm just saying that such kind of training would give better results in shorter time, for his overall fitness - both cardio-vascular and muscular. It's not less beneficial...it's only less beneficial when you focus exclusively on anaerobic training. A combination is generally optimal.

    Even if someone doesn't care about "fitness", having a "fit" overall muscle&respiratory apparatus helps a lot in everyday life - less back aches, easier handling of tasks that require some strength, etc.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  7. #177
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Glycerine is pretty young, I'm just saying that such kind of training would give better results in shorter time, for his overall fitness - both cardio-vascular and muscular. It's not less beneficial...it's only less beneficial when you focus exclusively on anaerobic training. A combination is generally optimal.
    Glycerine is a female, and I'm making a suggestion of basic level fitness. To have a basic level of fitness, you need aerobic exercise first.

    Tell most people that they need to do sprints and they're going to laugh in your face.

    I remember the first time JTG told me that I should start doing sprints, I was like....really...that's kind of...scary. And that's me, who is a pretty active person already.

    If you say that to someone whose idea of exercise is walking around the mall, or doing a yoga video, they're going to look at you like you are INSANE.

    I, personally, will take your tip about anaerobic exercise, but I'm not foolish enough to think it's a wise thing to start recommending around to people for their health.

    To someone into health and nutrition, it actually seems kind of irresponsible to promote it without a disclaimer of, hey, you should probably be able to at least run two or three miles before you do this.

  8. #178
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Wait, I must have confused Gliceryne with someone else then. I thougth she was a male around 28-30 who lives in Israel, lol. Probably someone with the same nickname.

    Anyway, I never talked about sprints - you've been talking about them, not me. Some very light weight training (or calysthenics) can definitely be anaerobic for someone with zero fitness level. For example, Pilates is a form of (relatively light) anaerobic training.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  9. #179
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Wait, I must have confused Gliceryne with someone else then. I thougth she was a male around 28-30 who lives in Israel, lol. Probably someone with the same nickname.

    Anyway, I never talked about sprints - you've been talking about them, not me. Some very light weight training (or calysthenics) can definitely be anaerobic for someone with zero fitness level. For example, Pilates is a form of (relatively light) anaerobic training.
    You're just talking about lifting light weights? Yeah I already mentioned that earlier in a post to someone to build muscle mass. Pilates is more challenging, though.

    Of course if you build muscle you're going to burn more calories, etc. But telling people to just lift weights is not going to lower their cholesterol. That was my point, I was focusing on the health angle ...because women can be "skinny fat" but look attractive. Like my friend who had high cholesterol.

  10. #180
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Yea, I agree, for women it's also somewhat different - I was totally sure that Glycerine was a guy
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Similar Threads

  1. Do You Like Cats or Dogs?
    By highlander in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 03:46 AM
  2. The Dark Triad - do you know anyone, or are you one?
    By SilkRoad in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 12:21 PM
  3. Do You Re-Realize Things?
    By Ginkgo in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-22-2010, 01:58 AM
  4. [NF] NFs: Reality hits, do you hit back or give the other cheek?
    By Dwigie in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 06:58 PM
  5. Do you Fast and/or Cleanse?
    By laintpe in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 03-28-2009, 10:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO