User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I am skinny. Broad-shouldered, yeah, but skinny. If I thought by any stretch of the imagination that I were fat, I would definitely have an eating disorder. I could stand to put on a significant amount of weight.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    The way to avoid that is to build muscle. I grew up dancing, riding my bike, swimming, gymnastics, twirling, some cheerleading et al...and I have muscle in my arms and legs.

My mother had this same physique as a younger woman. She was a cheerleader in high school, an exotic dancer at one point, and was a gym rat in her 30's and early 40's and even dated a body builder at one point after she divorced her second husband. I actually remember her looking a little TOO muscular and have always strived to avoid it.

But now that she's in her 50's she's had some problems with severe arthritis that have not allowed her to be as physically active for quite some time (though she walks and does house work, etc.) and it has made her arms and legs skinnier. One of my aunts is the same way.

I've always had muscle, but it's because I've always been physically active. People comment that I'm stronger than I look. The thing is I know with my body type if I ever become more sedentary, I would have twig legs and arms and a round mid-section.

So the key is to build muscle. Eat more protein and do weight training if you must.
    That will help, but there is some genetic stuff going on too. I have a reasonable amount of muscle, especially in my legs, but still put on weight in my stomach first - always. The muscle will make your arms and legs less skinny, but won't actually stop fat from going to your stomach. You need to lower overall body fat percentage for that. I wish it wasn't true, too.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    That will help, but there is some genetic stuff going on too. I have a reasonable amount of muscle, especially in my legs, but still put on weight in my stomach first - always. The muscle will make your arms and legs less skinny, but won't actually stop fat from going to your stomach. You need to lower overall body fat percentage for that. I wish it wasn't true, too.
    Yes, I know. That's what I'm saying - I have the same body type. If I wasn't a relatively athletic person (I don't consider myself an athlete but I've done some kind of physical exercise for most of my life beyond taking walks) I would have twiggy arms and legs. It's why my butt disappears when I'm quite slim. However, I tend to maintain muscle ALWAYS in my arms and legs, and it's probably because I've been extremely active since childhood, when my body was still forming.

It's just that I didn't think my mother would EVAR have twiggy legs again after how athletic she was. My mother was beautiful even in her early to mid 40's. She looked like she was in her 30's. But because of how extreme her issues have been (she's actually had issues with her bones, and it has to do with anorexia in her teens and early twenties, which I fortunately do not have these bone issues because I've always had proper nutrition) ...she can't do the kind of physical exercise she used to do. So while she got sedentary our genetics came shining through: twiggy arm/legs and belly weight gain.

Yes, I gain weight in my stomach (and boobs, heh) first. But because of my muscle mass I tend to look fairly proportionate as long as I don't actually become overweight.

I HATE being apple shaped AND short. I think being apple shaped would be more tolerable if I were tall.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    This story should've gone "Last week, an acquaintance, an Asian male, had scalding hot coffee thrown in his face after suggesting I go on a diet to lose my "fat hips".
    That's what they get for being asian and male.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    That's what they get for being asian and male.
    Hey some Asian males are pretty hot.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I think I'm a bit fat.

Glycerine

I am probably getting skinny fat. I can't fit into my size 0 pants/skirts at all. I have eating so much crap over the past year.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    I am probably getting skinny fat. I can't fit into my size 0 pants/skirts at all. I have eating so much crap over the past year.
    Skinny fat means that you have no muscle tone, and that you have fat around your internal organs, and potentially have high cholesterol, even though you look slim.

It doesn't mean that you can't fit in your size 0.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I have never been remotely skinny.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Skinny fat means that you have no muscle tone, and that you have fat around your internal organs, and potentially have high cholesterol, even though you look slim.

It doesn't mean that you can't fit in your size 0.
    I actually wouldn't be surprised if that becomes true if I continue my current lifestyle. I hardly have stamina left unlike last year.

After I finish the stressors of college (in two weeks), I am going to become more active and build up stamina.