• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need some cash? Become a lab rat!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
..Paid research studies, clinical trials, & focus groups.
Would you do it? Why or why not?
Or, if you have, share your experiences, by all means.

Personally, I think it'd be kind of fun to try out, at least once in my life. Of course, I'd likely only participate in studies that didn't involve exposure to previously untested medications, chemicals, etc. A few months ago, I'd read up on a sleep study that entailed 30-40 days of isolation with no sense of time or communication w/the outside, & certain periods of varying degrees of light exposure, etc. That's something I'd want to explore. I'm sure it'd be uncomfortable at times, but it'd be overall a pretty interesting experience/test of endurance, if nothing else. Not to mention it paid upwards of 4 grand.

So, what would you be willing to do, and what factors would you consider most beneficial? Experience, monetary gain, contribution to science, anything else..?

(I mean, I can't be the only one who hopes to gain firsthand knowledge of what sort of clinical trial goes awry/becomes the catalyst for the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse.. am I..?)

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I'm too afraid of becoming deformed, crippled, retarded, or dying because of some unforeseen side effect. I have enough physical and mental deficits already...

On a side note, ever seen this show?

Edit:

If I had significant information about a particular drug which would be rather useful to me, and it seemed promising, I might seek to become a test subject for that particular drug. It would all depend on the circumstances...

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm too afraid of becoming deformed, crippled, retarded, or dying because of some unforeseen side effect. I have enough physical and mental deficits already...

On a side note, ever seen this show?

Edit:

If I had significant information about a particular drug which would be rather useful to me, and it seemed promising, I might seek to become a test subject for that particular drug. It would all depend on the circumstances...

That show looks terrible, based on the freezeframe I saw upon following your terrible link, that just killed my internet. I should have known it was a trick... NEMESIS!

Also, not every study entails exposure to drugs or chemicals..
just check out the list on this directory site to see what I mean- http://www.gpgp.net/

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I have participated in an experiment at my university. There are not only medical studies! All I did was typing numbers and answering a few questions into a computer, and I got 18 Euro for it in one hour :) I will try to go there again when I get an invitation. It was an economics study.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd be totally willing to do it; I need money. But in most cases, you need to have some particular condition or meet a qualification which I do not. It sucks.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Yes, that would be fun to be in a study, so long as I don't have to take anything with risks that are unknown or very likely.

I'm a complete pussy when it comes to uncertainty.

PS: I wouldn't do it for the money, just out of interest.

P

Phantonym

I'd do it. I'm wary of drugs, though. Psychological experiments could be fun, being placed in different situations and testing myself. Heh, I might even do that for free. And afterwards, when things don't exactly go as planned, I'd probably take up the lab rat duties involving drugs and moolah. :D

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj
A few months ago, I'd read up on a sleep study that entailed 30-40 days of isolation with no sense of time or communication w/the outside, & certain periods of varying degrees of light exposure, etc. That's something I'd want to explore. I'm sure it'd be uncomfortable at times, but it'd be overall a pretty interesting experience/test of endurance, if nothing else. Not to mention it paid upwards of 4 grand.

Wut? I've done that voluntarily before. 4k? That's a lot o' money for something that easy

A

A window to the soul

I never did. My BF rubbed a stinky white prescription acne cream on his face for money though. He sold his blood too. Not my fault. :x

He didn't really have acne. They also didn't pay much. Probably not worth it!!!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
if it didn't take up much time or disrupt my life, sure... it'd be interesting to see what was going on :cheese:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Or, if you have, share your experiences, by all means.

Personally, I think it'd be kind of fun to try out, at least once in my life. Of course, I'd likely only participate in studies that didn't involve exposure to previously untested medications, chemicals, etc. A few months ago, I'd read up on a sleep study that entailed 30-40 days of isolation with no sense of time or communication w/the outside, & certain periods of varying degrees of light exposure, etc. That's something I'd want to explore. I'm sure it'd be uncomfortable at times, but it'd be overall a pretty interesting experience/test of endurance, if nothing else. Not to mention it paid upwards of 4 grand.

So, what would you be willing to do, and what factors would you consider most beneficial? Experience, monetary gain, contribution to science, anything else..?

(I mean, I can't be the only one who hopes to gain firsthand knowledge of what sort of clinical trial goes awry/becomes the catalyst for the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse.. am I..?)

Wut? I've done that voluntarily before. 4k? That's a lot o' money for something that easy

I don't think enduring something like that for 30-40 days is easy. I'm strong introvert but even that's too much isolation. Raise the payoff to 40K, and I'd consider it.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Oh man, I loved Testees...it's just so wrong.

I've participated in taste tests at my college. The pay is kind of lame. I would be willing to swallow pills instead of sorbet if it meant getting good pay though.

F

figsfiggyfigs

. A few months ago, I'd read up on a sleep study that entailed 30-40 days of isolation with no sense of time or communication w/the outside, & certain periods of varying degrees of light exposure, etc.

Thats what I like to call my Exam-Preparation-Month.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Depends on what kind of test.

If the test involves something like how many grams of X can a typical person my age group can tolerate before getting sick, no.

If it was a test that could prove some beneficial results (maybe a medicine that I can take myself if I become sick... etc,) it is possible.

But hey, being stuck in 30-40 days of isolation sounds fun. Just give me food, water, and a place to clean myself.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I experience intense social isolation for about 6 months split between 3 month increments and it was hell. Yes I am an introvert, but people who are saying that they'd love to be isolated have no idea. And though it wasn't me being locked in a room with out any sensations what so ever, I didn't talk to another human during that time except my mom once a week on the phone it was enough for me to not ever want to be isolated again.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I forgot.. another reason I think it'd be cool to participate in some sort of study, would be to see if I could detect any kind of corruption, &/or examine subjective motivations by both the researchers and volunteers, that may lead to conscious or unconscious compromise of the experiment.. and just also do one of the things INxx's do best.. peoplewatch.

Note the example below.

[YOUTUBE="r4Rza0c6hIg"]..it IS a star. :cheese:[/YOUTUBE]

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just looking for an excuse to inject Ghostbusters into this, somehow.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I experience intense social isolation for about 6 months split between 3 month increments and it was hell. Yes I am an introvert, but people who are saying that they'd love to be isolated have no idea. And though it wasn't me being locked in a room with out any sensations what so ever, I didn't talk to another human during that time except my mom once a week on the phone it was enough for me to not ever want to be isolated again.

But we can compete with other people to see who can remain the most sane after 30-40 days and get money while we are at it!