User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Ran four miles with 2 friends. Then I went to "Sin Spin" (Spinning with weights) with the friends. Then I walked the dog. Then I went to Zumba. All before 11 AM! Now I feel like a million bucks!
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

RDF

Also, if you get an injury or your shins and knees just don't tolerate running well, just switch off to stairs (stairmaster), eliptical, and slow-jogging/fast-walking up a steep incline on a treadmill. Just do a good mix of exercises across the week, and they're every bit as invigorating as a long, hard run. If you use stationary machines for those exercises at the gym or home, then you can also read books with those exercises, which you can't do when running.

And of course there are bicycling/spinning and cardio workouts (step class, zumba,etc.) Use them as a replacement for running, or work them into your routine on break days from running.

Gyms are nice because they provide stationary machines for lots of different leg exercises as well as cardio classes. It depends on what kind of deal you get, but I think that big gyms like Bally's charge $20/month over the long-term for gym memberships. Memberships typically cost more the first year and then less across succeeding years; since most people quit after a couple weeks, gyms charge more at the start.

@shortnsweet: That's a good mix of exercises. Mixing up lots of varied activities like that is great for the health, and it's usually more fun than just grinding out a single long, grueling run (unless one is really into the long, grueling activities).

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

self-inflicted torture is so not my style these days. Everything hurts, it's the most awful feeling in the world. Boring, too. And if you're jogging, not full-on running, you don't even get the "wheee fast" feeling, it's just never-ending misery.

(/melodramatic)

soccer though (spurts of RUN LIKE THE WIND interspersed with catching your breath.... and running for a purpose). That's the only form of cardio that I've been able to tolerate so far.
    -end of thread-

RDF

@Randomnity: Team sports are great when they're available. As you say, they give a feeling that you're out there for a purpose. Also, couples competitive sports (tennis, squash, etc.) are great if you can find the right partner. Couples or individual dancing is usually a good workout as well (swing dancing, contra dancing, line dancing) and available in most larger towns and cities.

My main rule for any exercise or physical activity is: Keep it fun, so you'll keep on doing it. I alternate a couple different routines so that I don't burn out on doing the same thing all the time. If I find myself not going to the gym for a few days or a week, then I reduce all my weights and distances by 25% to make it easier to jump back into the routines, and then I look at ways to make them more fun or interesting for when I build back up to full weight/distance again.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post

Bummer. Recovery time varies with severity I'm guessing?
    It's a "low ankle" sprain. Doctor says ~2 weeks, but I had already been walking all over it for a week before I even knew.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    @Randomnity: Team sports are great when they're available. As you say, they give a feeling that you're out there for a purpose. Also, couples competitive sports (tennis, squash, etc.) are great if you can find the right partner. Couples or individual dancing is usually a good workout as well (swing dancing, contra dancing, line dancing) and available in most larger towns and cities.
    Yeah, sqash is a good one, too - haven't played in a couple years for various reasons but it's lots of fun. Never really learned how to play tennis. I like volleyball a lot too, although it's not really exercise (compared to other sports).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    @shortnsweet: That's a good mix of exercises. Mixing up lots of varied activities like that is great for the health, and it's usually more fun than just grinding out a single long, grueling run (unless one is really into the long, grueling activities).

Yea, I used to be solely running (with some occasional other stuff) thinking that training would take up all my time. Now I'm finding that with all this variety, my running endurance doesn't suffer at all, and it's way more fun! I learned some A+P stuff from my class instructors, too... Never knew hip flexors existed, before until recently. Never suffered an injury from running, (aside from some achey muscles, and a pulled tendon that took a couple of weeks to heal), which is awesome and lucky!
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    [...] although it's not really exercise (compared to other sports).
    Badminton. :workout:

MBTI
    INTP

Hate running. I find it boring, too, and I'm hyper aware of how much impact it's having on my body, my joints, etc.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

badminton is fun, it's true. All my friends think it's lame and won't play, though. And it isn't really as fun as volleyball and soccer (for me).
    -end of thread-