User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I only enjoy running outside, preferably during a rain or snowstorm. I'd rather run on a cloudy day than a sunny one. Barefoot running was awesome--removing those weights called "shoes." The incredulous looks were great entertainment too. Running barefoot in the rain on wet asphalt is very soothing to the feet. Strangely, it starts to feel like very firm, wet beach sand.
    YES! Barefoot running kicks ass. I haven't done it now that I live in the city, but back in the mountain days I'd go to the parkway, stow my shoes and socks behind a tree somewhere and take off. It feels so good and liberating. A very different experience. Very different feeling on your joints and muscles, too.

I just got some little shoes! So I can run outside "barefoot" but not have to worry about broken glass/condoms/etc. Over the weekend I went less than 1.5 and my calves were so sore!!! But I think this may be quite good for me.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Dali

I love running. It feels like I'm flying. Have loved to since I was a child.

Nowadays, I can't run for more than 20metres because my right knee will ALWAYS act up the very next day. Young people with bum joints ftw.

I get my cardio fix from the elliptical machine. Does a great job of meeting my cardiovascular needs and keeping my bodyfat % low.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I loathe running. It's super boring and after 10 minutes I even begin to hate the music I'm listening to.

I've gotten shin splints and a stress fracture in my foot whenever I try to push it a bit.

I did just buy a new pair of running shoes. Think I'll stick to a series of sprints this time.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I loathe running. It's super boring and after 10 minutes I even begin to hate the music I'm listening to.
    I've gotten shin splints and a stress fracture in my foot whenever I try to push it a bit.
    Yeah, I used to run a lot about 10-15 years ago Not quite so bored, but it definitely was a love-hate relationship (although runner's high felt pretty awesome!), and I used to get shin splints / foot pain too despite having really good sneakers for it. I'm an overpronator and I run pretty heavy on my feet, and running on asphalt just was no good for me. I ended up moving my calorie burning to in-gym cycling and/or bike riding just because it reduced impact stress.

Still, with my other friends who don't run, I can still outrun them on a full-out sprint.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

if you really want to lose weight you should let me ride in one of those things royalty use to ride in and had there servants carry. Mush! Mush! Mush!
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP

Today, I was told that my ankle is sprained

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post

I did just buy a new pair of running shoes. Think I'll stick to a series of sprints this time.
    Ditto. Let us know how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Today, I was told that my ankle is sprained
    Bummer. Recovery time varies with severity I'm guessing?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

I love running, though I only really feel 'into it' after the first 10 minutes or so, after I'm really in the rhythm of it and I begin to feel like I can't stop. I'm not a sprinter.
    I was never that active, so I started with this program called C25K (Couch to 5 km), which builds up running stamina over about 10 weeks (I think). I now generally run about 5-6 km. I should challenge myself a little more and run further, but the distance I run works well around my area.
    I think next summer I'll try a triathlon... cycling is big in my area, and there's a beach too. Anyone done one? What kind of distances do you start with/do?

Any aspiring runners: definitely check out C25K (I think they've even made iphone/ipod apps for it to accompany your run).

RDF

I run 3 miles on my short days and 7 miles on my long days. I climb stairs or do elliptical as a break from running, and I do some weights for my knees to add strength. I mostly run on treadmill at the gym to reduce the stress on my knees and legs, and watch TV to keep from getting bored as I run. Treadmills are bouncy, so they're considered the softest possible surface. I would happily switch to a dirt or gravel path (the next softest surface) and run outdoors, but there's nothing nearby. I don't do asphalt or concrete if I can avoid them--too hard on my knees as I get older.

@Shin splints: I used to have a semi-permanent case of those. But I eventually got rid of them many years ago by paying attention to my equipment and technique:

--Shoes have different levels of cushioning. Get the ones with the most bounce and cushioning; and get 2 pairs and alternate between them if you run a lot so that the shoes have time to dry out and recover between runs--they'll last longer. Throw out shoes when they start to lose their bounce.

--Do a lot of vigorous calf and knee stretches to loosen up before and after the run.

--Steer toward running on the softest surfaces possible. Never run on sidewalks--concrete is the worst.

--As you start running a lot, lean a little futher back and lengthen your stride so that you land on your heel (rather than landing flat on your foot or on the ball of your foot), and then roll forward and step off the ball of your foot. It leads to a lower, faster, smoother, rolling gait with less shocks and bouncing around.

--Of these measures, the stretches beforehand and lengthening my stride seemed to do the most to get rid of the shin splints. The rest are just about reducing the general level of impact for the entire leg.

I'm suddenly seeing a lot of people doing wind sprints on the treadmills at the gym lately. I don't know if that's a new thing, or if it's just a seasonal crowd coming in to get in better shape for the coming good weather. I don't know whether sprints would be good or bad for shin splints. I've used sprinting to work on a longer stride. The longer stride works better at faster running speeds; if you try to do a slow jog with a long stride, you get kind of a weird loping stride.