User Tag List

123 Last

Default Is a low calorie diet the best for weight loss?

Should I cut other things from my diet besides just the calories?
    Last edited by Merrywille; 03-28-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Calories are energy, so I think it should do the trick. But personally I would not eat or drink anything that boasts on having less of sugar or fat. Artificial sweeteners trick the brain to think you are eating sugar, but the stomach doesn't get it's fix, so it might tell to the brain to have more desire for sugar. So, just eat less. It might not be a bad idea to drop all processed food. There's always some chemicals that play with the mind. Go with as natural as you can get.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Refined sugars and saturated fats are probably more important to cut out than the calories themselves. Eating 2,000 calories of healthy food a day is way better than 2,000 calories of donuts. Ya know?

No matter what you consume, if you burn more than you eat, you'll be on the right track, but WHAT you burn has a big factor in other things with your body, so burning energy stored from lettuce, for example, is better than the energy stored from skittles.

Stick with some healthier foods, and pull back on the calories, and you should be fine. If I may add my two personal cents, I never miss an opportunity to pitch in the two cookbooks I used when losing weight and maintaining it:
    1. Cook yourself Thin
    2. Eat This Not That

Hope I helped?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I agree with Kyuuei. Watch saturated fat and refined sugars, especially eating saturated fat and refined sugar TOGETHER - I swear things like donuts and full-fat ice cream are some of the worst things you can eat.

Try to eat whole grains - wheat bread, oatmeal, whole grain pasta - and get fiber from that and things like fruit and vegetables.

But yes, calorie restriction is important. You'll note that a bag of potato chips only has 250 calories, and while it has unsaturated fat, they actually tend to be quite low in saturated fat and have zero cholesterol....the problem is when you start COMBINING foods...like eating *too many* potato chips (especially if you dip them in something), or eating them with candy, or eating them with a double cheeseburger.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. 3500 calories = 1 pound. Slower weight loss is better and more likely to keep off over the long term. That way you're not drastically cutting the calories so you don't feel like you're starving yourself. If you try to cut too many calories too soon, you'll wreak havoc with your body's metabolism as it will slow down, trying to hold tightly onto the calories it consumes as your body will think its starving itself. Aim to lose 1-2 pounds a week, no more.

If you're strictly talking about weight loss it doesn't matter what foods the calories come from. However, there is far more to being healthy than just being a healthy weight, so whether or not you're trying to lose weight, you should be eating healthy stuff, not junk and also exercising regularly.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    infp

What do you typically eat in a 3 or 4 day period? What are some of your usual breakfasts, lunches, and dinners? I think we could help a lot more if we knew that!

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Don't cut calories. That'll just slow your metabolism.

Exercise away a few extra calories instead.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Don't cut calories. That'll just slow your metabolism.

Exercise away a few extra calories instead.
    This is both true and false. Cutting calories TOO SEVERELY will slow your metabolism.

Cutting calories to a reasonable amount for your healthy weight and activity level will cause you to lose weight.

For example, eating 800-1000 calories per day will slow your metabolism.

But eating 1200-1800 calories per day (pending on activity level and starting weight) can put you in a good zone to lose weight.

Someone who is overweight who constantly eats 2500-3500 calories per day needs to cut at least 500 calories, if not more.

It depends on your build, gender, and activity level, though. Some hardcore athletes do have to eat that many calories, especially when they're male.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Depends on how active you are. I just consume a shitload of Wholefoods peanut butter, sprint a few miles every other day, then swim like 4 thousand yards on off days.

Try eating only when hungry and moving around everyday.

Alllll about that heart rate.

thinking of you

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    But eating 1200-1800 calories per day (pending on activity level and starting weight) can put you in a good zone to lose weight.
    This is the best advice on losing weight by controlling your intake of calories.

It does matter what kind of calories you eat. Some foods will speed up your metabolism, like yoghurt or spicy foods. Variation is also the key to a healthy metabolism. Eat potatoes and meat one day, the next a nice salmon out of the oven or a pasta with tomato sauce and veggies.

(There is also a very unhealthy way of keeping your metabolism high, calory variation. Anorexic people sometimes use this to lose weight. They go from -500 calories one day to 1500+ the next. This is very, very unhealthy.)