• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is a low calorie diet the best for weight loss?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, to those who said that if you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. Regardless of the sources of food.

However, I'm a proponent of exercising daily and eating by the food pyramid in the recommended amount of calories in proper percentages of carbs, proteins, and fats. Nobody likes this way because it's really really slow when it comes to weight loss. However, I view diet and exercise from a lifestyle point of view, "I eat and exercise to help my body perform at it's maximum potential and to live long", rather than "I don't eat carbs because my butt is too fat". Most healthy weight, active and high energy people you see view their diets from the health and lifestyle point of view. People who try to cut various essentials from their diets ultimately fail.

I think that it is important to mention that a high self esteem in combination with trying to eliminate emotional factors that go with eating are important as well. There is no quick fix.

I noticed that often people who have been unable to lose weight and unhealthy people often roll their eyes at this point of view and turn to other dieters with the same problem for help.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It appears that I've just been told that I'm full of sh!t.

Not really. Just read your post. You cut carbs but the goal is ultimately to maintain your body at maximum potential.. you're gaining energy and maintaining your sugars... (Trying to figure out if you mean blood sugars in the diabetic sense..) All good stuff. Everyone is different.

I'm just thinking that the ultimate goal of eating is to feel great and function, looking better will follow. Not the other way around.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
Yes, to those who said that if you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. Regardless of the sources of food. I'm a proponent of exercising daily and eating by the food pyramid in the proper percentages of carbs, proteins, and fats. Nobody likes this way because it's really really slow when it comes to weight loss. However, I view diet and exercise from a lifestyle point of view, "I eat and exercise to help my body perform at it's maximum potential and to live long", rather than "I don't eat carbs because my butt is too fat". Most healthy weight, active and high energy people you see view their diets from the health and lifestyle point of view. People who try to cut various essentials from their diets ultimately fail.

I think that it is important to mention that a high self esteem in combination with trying to eliminate emotional factors that go with eating are important as well. There is no quick fix.

I noticed that often people who have been unable to lose weight and unhealthy people often roll their eyes at this point of view and turn to other dieters with the same problem for help.

I ate 3k+ calories a day for around 3 months, I lost around 80 pounds just in fat, and I could bench press 200lbs 15 reps by the end of it...I dont weight lift much anymore, but I still knock out 100 push ups and 200 crunches a day and have only regained about 10lbs... what you eat matters a LOT more than the calories...My hour long work outs 3 times a week where not enough to burn off those calories in the conventional sense, because they didnt NEED to be burned off, because they where almost all from fresh sweet fruits and some veggies, couple brazil nuts here and there and a B12 supplement and I had complete nutrition...

Btw, im also close friends with a couple nutritionists, they agree, I know this because they are the ones that got me started on this diet, it may not work for everyone, but calorie restriction is proven to not work in a healthy way, one will lose weight, but its damaging to your body, increases stress, both ont he body and your mind, reduces energy levels... balanced nutrition is important, where you get your calories/nutrition from matters more than anything else.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I ate 3k+ calories a day for around 3 months, I lost around 80 pounds just in fat, and I could bench press 200lbs 15 reps by the end of it...I dont weight lift much anymore, but I still knock out 100 push ups and 200 crunches a day and have only regained about 10lbs... what you eat matters a LOT more than the calories...My hour long work outs 3 times a week where not enough to burn off those calories in the conventional sense, because they didnt NEED to be burned off, because they where almost all from fresh sweet fruits and some veggies, couple brazil nuts here and there and a B12 supplement and I had complete nutrition...

Btw, im also close friends with a couple nutritionists, they agree, I know this because they are the ones that got me started on this diet, it may not work for everyone, but calorie restriction is proven to not work in a healthy way, one will lose weight, but its damaging to your body, increases stress, both ont he body and your mind, reduces energy levels... balanced nutrition is important, where you get your calories/nutrition from matters more than anything else.

I agree, 100%. That's what I'm saying, cutting calories will make you lose weight, but balanced nutrition is more important and healthier, and when you eat a balanced diet and exercise, you will ultimately lose the weight.

(I guess I should have put a "however" in my post after the cutting calories business.)

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
I agree, 100%. That's what I'm saying, cutting calories will make you lose weight, but balanced nutrition is more important and healthier, and when you eat a balanced diet and exercise, you will ultimately lose the weight.

ah, sorry then, I must have misunderstood, I had 5 hours of sleep yesterday afternoon, but im still rather out of it as thats all ive had in 3 days,lol...I thought you had said otherwise.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ah, sorry then, I must have misunderstood, I had 5 hours of sleep yesterday afternoon, but im still rather out of it as thats all ive had in 3 days,lol...I thought you had said otherwise.

No, I just reread my post.. I see where the confusion was, will edit.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP

It is important to note that many of the healthiest (athletes, soldiers, etc.) people on this planet consume far more than the average person. Rigorous exercise and body care is absolutely essential to reach the ideal physique. Naturally, the ideal is subjective, but few would argue to neglect this aspect for smarter consumption alone.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is important to note that many of the healthiest (athletes, soldiers, etc.) people on this planet consume far more than the average person. Rigorous exercise and body care is absolutely essential to reach the ideal physique. Naturally, the ideal is subjective, but few would argue to neglect this aspect for smarter consumption alone.

Well, few would argue that you can reach your ideal physique with diet alone, but I think many people aren't in the habit of exercise and think it hurts, don't like it, whatever- and will continue to look for ways to avoid it and still lose weight and get healthier.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
No, I just reread my post.. I see where the confusion was, will edit.
Ah, good to know, thanks, glad to hear it wasnt my lack of sleep addled brain,lol...at least not entirely.

I would definitely not ignore exercise for JUST a healthy diet, my point is that my workout regimen wasn't even vigorous by most athletes standards, and I still had amazing results, im sure some one eating a nutritionally balanced diet like mine with no crap in it, and working out even more vigorously than I did, will have even better results... one of the big things for me to is that the sweet fruit, and carrot/kale juice would immediately get rid of any cravings I had for crap if I ate them instead of the crappy food, and after the first month, I didnt get another craving again till around christmas after partaking in some traditional christmas foods...

Well, few would argue that you can reach your ideal physique with diet alone, but I think many people aren't in the habit of exercise and think it hurts, don't like it, whatever- and will continue to look for ways to avoid it and still lose weight and get healthier.
yeah, an important thing for a lot of people to note, is exercise tends to only hurt if you are doing it wrong, either bad form, or you are over doing it, or not taking in the nutrients your body needs to repair itself...

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, good to know, thanks, glad to hear it wasnt my lack of sleep addled brain,lol...at least not entirely.

I would definitely not ignore exercise for JUST a healthy diet, my point is that my workout regimen wasn't even vigorous by most athletes standards, and I still had amazing results, im sure some one eating a nutritionally balanced diet like mine with no crap in it, and working out even more vigorously than I did, will have even better results... one of the big things for me to is that the sweet fruit, and carrot/kale juice would immediately get rid of any cravings I had for crap if I ate them instead of the crappy food, and after the first month, I didnt get another craving again till around christmas after partaking in some traditional christmas foods...

Also, so SO true. I noticed that when I'm craving a brownie or something, (quick sugar fix), often I can just eat fruit and get the same fix.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
Also, so SO true. I noticed that when I'm craving a brownie or something, (quick sugar fix), often I can just eat fruit and get the same fix.

yeah!!! cause the body doesnt KNOW what a brownie is, it just goes "I want a dense source of simple sugars!" your brain goes "mmm, dense source of simple sugars...*compares to knowledge of things you have enjoyed and carried this sugar content, picks the most chemically addictive to the body, something full of processed fats and sugar." mmmm im craving a brownie...(or something similar) however those craving can all be kicked in the butt by a calorie dense piece of sweet fruit! early on I was eating dozens of bananas in a day to deal with cravings, hahaha...(they where cheap,lol)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Too bad that healthy food tastes so goddamn aweful. :(

Some of the healthy food tastes good. It just doesn't seem to taste as good in comparison to the food labeled unhealthy. I like both carrots and cake for example, but I'll almost always rate the piece of cake as tastier.

Foods that are high in both fat and sugar are the worst culprits. If these foods are so bad for our bodies, why do so many people crave these things? Back in the days of the hunter/gatherer society or when there were food shortages, high energy foods were hard to come by. You eat the high energy foods when you can to store enough fat in your body to survive the times when food is scarce. In modern society in developed countries, that's not needed anymore but evolution has not caught up with the current reality. Back then, eating high fat foods wasn't so unhealthy, you didn't do it excessively like we do today.

So that explains why we crave food that's not good for us. But it doesn't explain why so many of us dislike healthy stuff. Why are there people who hate fruits and vegetables and prefer white bread to whole grain? Shouldn't our bodies naturally want to crave things that provide some health benefit?

PH.

MBTI Type
INTP
I only crave for unhealthy food when I'm low on sugar. When I'm not, I actually like fruits and some veggies. I even don't like all unhealthy foods at those times. Thinking of potatoe chips or dougnuts makes me kind of nauseous at the moment really xD

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8

If athletes are so healthy, why do they die so young? The average age Dutch athetes died on between 2001 and 2010 was 72. The average life expectancy of Dutch people is 79. Oops...

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
If athletes are so healthy, why do they die so young? The average age Dutch athetes died on between 2001 and 2010 was 72. The average life expectancy of Dutch people is 79. Oops...

thats because most athletes eat a LOT of really bad food in really large amounts, lots of fast food and other junk, and many use performance enhancing drugs that damage their bodies as well, thats why I say that although exercise is important, diet is more important... also I can make some health foods that taste like candy,lol...not all tastes bad... it just takes some creativity.

PH.

MBTI Type
INTP
Top athletes also really wear out their body. They overdo things, and that is a bad thing to do. Remember kids, just say no to topatheleteism.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Top athletes also really wear out their body. They overdo things, and that is a bad thing to do. Remember kids, just say no to topatheleteism.

Well, one of them turned 101. It was a woman, I believe she was an ice skater or something like that, I didn't really pay attention to who they were and what they did, just their age and whether they were athletes or not. Anyways, I must admit that I think the mean is low because 9 percent of those atheletes died before the age of 40. Most athetes died at the age of 84, that was six percent, but lots of them died at 81, 82 and 91 as well. The median age was 66,5. Let's see if I can plot it...

lea.jpg

Long story short, lots of them die young, but by the time they're in their late fourties they pretty much can't die. After that they get mortal again and most of them die between the age of 80 and 84.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I like the "twinkie diet" article because it proves that weight loss is basically just mathematics. Calories in < calories expended = weight loss. (Variables being age, metabolism, activity level that you tweak to meet the basic formula.)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(Limps into thread holding a warm back on my back from yesterdays workout.) Athletes are healthy people! Don't you get it?