User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

*many people have already given some good advice, so Im just going to add this in instead of re-iterating many things already said.*

what you eat matters a whole lot more than how much you eat, one major problem people find with calorie restriction is that the human body goes into famine mode, where it tries to store as much nutrients as possible, and get by with burning as little calories as possible for any given task.. also on low calorie diets its hard to actually stay motivated because you have so little energy, I lost almost 80 pounds eating over 3,000 calories a day, why? cause most of it was raw fruit and veggies... its important though to get a good variety so you can get all the nutrients you need, it also helped I was doing body building and Kenpo karate, exercise is of course one of the best things for your health and weightloss...

Honestly I think there is no good reason to reduce calories, at least not below 1800 depending on your activity level, just change where you are getting your calories from...and use something like www.nutritiondata.com or www.fitday.com to track the nutrients you are getting in to make sure you dont become deficient in anything, and that should work like a charm...
    You are not powerless, you just need to accept your power for what it is, a part of the whole, no one man can save the world, but you can be a light to those who envelope themselves in darkness, The candle that sparks the inferno.

Oberon

I have found that by switching off carbs (mostly) and onto protein and fat for my primary calorie sources, my blood sugar stays much steadier through the day. Because my blood sugar stays steady, I don't get the sudden ravenous desire to overeat that I commonly used to get. I will typically start to get a little hungry about two hours after a meal, and hang there in the "a little hungry" until my next meal, which is quite tolerable.

I have been cutting calories some, but not drastically; I'm still eating at least 2,000 calories a day typically. I also get into the gym about three times a week to do moderate cardio and weight training.

The foods I no longer eat in significant quantity are potatoes, rice, bread (in all its endless variants like pita, biscuits, crackers, and so on) and anything with a lot of sugar in it (no sodas, no sweet tea). I have not cut carbs completely; I still will have one or two small pieces of chocolate daily, or a handful of chips, so I can sustain my eating plan. Oh, and I will eat the heck out of as many greens and garden veggies as my wife is willing to throw at me.

Over the past month or so I'm down about ten pounds from 234; my target weight is 200. My energy level is actually improved over what it used to be, as is my mood.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Yes. I read an article about a professor who went on a low calory diet that only consisted out of candy and vitamin pills and I believe he lost 13 kg/27 pounds in ten weeks and believe it or not, his entire health improved, even his blood sugar and his cholesterol levels. I should try that diet when I move out.

Here is an article about it:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08...sor/index.html
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

id never take something like that seriously unless the entire process was peer reviewed and his test results available to the public, I believe he could easily have lost the weight, but not that he was healthy, at all... especially since lower levels of cholesterol and triglycerides are not indicative of a person being "healthy" or not... most foods like that are very difficult for the body to digest too, so that could also help with losing weight... but I really really doubt he was "healthy" and he expresses similar doubts in the article...
    You are not powerless, you just need to accept your power for what it is, a part of the whole, no one man can save the world, but you can be a light to those who envelope themselves in darkness, The candle that sparks the inferno.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

It's best to 'shave off' some calories everyday, meaning to reduce your intake by ~250 calories. It really doesn't even matter what type of food they are, but it's easiest to cut sugar and fat since most of us eat more of those than we need.

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    No matter what you consume, if you burn more than you eat, you'll be on the right track
    Exactly. Regardless of how or where you get your calories, creating a calorie deficit is the ONLY way to lose weight.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Right.

Cutting calories and eating the right things at steady times while exercising > Cutting calories and eating the right things at steady times > cutting calories and eating at steady times > eating the right things but not at the right ratio or times > you > doing the opposite of all of that.

If that makes any sense. I think that WHEN you eat is extremely important in weight loss as well.. if nothing else, just adjusting when you eat the foods you do can have a big impact on your body.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Too bad that healthy food tastes so goddamn aweful.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INTP

If you don't use more calories than you consume, you will gain weight. If you use more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. These are both indisputable facts. Many would recommend a balanced split between caloric sources (primarily carbs, some fats, some proteins, maybe a little ethanol). If you eat little and exercise often, you will lose weight faster than if you only eat little.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Eliminate as many carbs as you can, esp. refined carbs.