User Tag List

Thread: Women's MMA?

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Women's MMA?

Maybe it's just not offered for women (at least here in the deep south) but I've been having a hard time to find a gym that will seriously let me train for MMA competition. So far the only training I have been getting (on top of previous military training) has been from my boyfriend who regularly competes. In the past, I have loved wrestling and the like from the adrenaline rush I get, along with the exercise.

Can anyone offer advice?
    Anything that you haven't fought for isn't going to be appreciated. It takes blood, sweat, and a large amount of tears before you appreciate what you have.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Where in the South are you? Several female professional mixed martial artists train in Florida. Your bf's gym won't let you train there?

How serious are you? Is this a way to stay fit, or a career path, or what? If you really want to be a serious fighter, go to local events, even amateur fight nights, and talk to the promoters, cornermen, whoever. If you show enthusiasm, you'll find someone who's happy to train you. I believe you have a military background, too? That should get you some extra points.

An alternative is to train disciplines individually: take kickboxing classes, and/or jiu-jitsu, judo, whatever, find a wrestling coach, or train at your old school, etc.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by WildCard View Post
    Maybe it's just not offered for women (at least here in the deep south) but I've been having a hard time to find a gym that will seriously let me train for MMA competition. So far the only training I have been getting (on top of previous military training) has been from my boyfriend who regularly competes. In the past, I have loved wrestling and the like from the adrenaline rush I get, along with the exercise.

Can anyone offer advice?
    Any jiu-jitsu class or kickboxing you go to should be both for men and women at least where I'm from women are always welcome even though there are always a lack of them.. I live in canada btw.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

MMA training is amazing, at my gym my sensei was extremely reserved and only let me train like half the time because i was a woman, but after a while he saw that i was committed and started paying more attention to me and training me like he would a man.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I live in the panhandle, and I am looking into signup for training at a local MMA gym. I think some thing should be available close by?