User Tag List

123 Last

Default How soon is too soon to be eating "heart healthy"?

Haha...ok...that title's a bit of a misnomer. I know there isn't a "too soon" for that kind of thing. I mostly just want to know if there are other young'uns out there who take their diet to heart (har har).

I'm 21 and I try to watch my intake of saturated fats, sodium and cholesterol. Read labels, turn down high-fat, highly salty foods. All that good stuff. But I tell me friends about this (who are years older than I am) and they think I'm crazy.

I dunno. I guess I'm a real proponent of the phrase "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." I don't want to have to take high BP meds in my 40s for the rest of my life.

Amiright? *fist bumps all around*

MBTI
    ISTx

You're doing the right thing. Never too soon to watch your diet.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Its never really too soon.. Just don't become one of those fanatics that go crazy with health-food shit. If you're prone to high BP genetically (diet is not the only thing that causes it.. its not even the biggest factor in it..), or any other disease, don't be heart broken and think you didn't 'do enough' to prevent it.

But a good diet and exercise can decrease your risks, especially if you ARE prone to it, and that is the key my friend. Enjoy eating healthy, and do your best so you don't feel guilt when you have to deal with the rest.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

you shouldnt do that before you hit 50
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

It's not too soon because there are immediate benefits too, and those benefits alone are a good enough reason to maintain those good habits. And yes I am a young'un who takes their health and diet "to heart".

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Reasons?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    yeah. or at least 40.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    eNXP
    Enneagram
    7+4 sx/sp

Taking care of yourself strikes me as very Fe. ^^ Of course it's always a good thing to do.
    Last edited by Elemental Chaos; 03-12-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: english/swedish, corrected facts
    Ennea:7w8sx/so (?)
    Big5:SCUEI
    Extravert(33%) iNtuitive(50%) Feeling(25%) Perceiving(11)%

So apparently I might be epileptic. Thanks brain, keep malfunctioning. I didn't think it could be that bad seeing starfalls in bookshelves. I just thought I was psychotic.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I am also a pretty health-conscious young'un.

As long as you really have an understanding of what your body needs, and you're not just listening to hooplah about what is bad for you this week, you should be good. For instance, the low-sodium diet that my grandpa follows would be bad for me. I actually need to add sodium to my diet to make sure I retain enough water, especially on hot days or when I work out. As long as you tailor health advice to yourself, you will be contributing to better health later in life (though, as others mentioned, you might still be doomed. sometimes there's nothing ya can do).
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    eNXP
    Enneagram
    7+4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I am also a pretty health-conscious young'un.

As long as you really have an understanding of what your body needs, and you're not just listening to hooplah about what is bad for you this week, you should be good. For instance, the low-sodium diet that my grandpa follows would be bad for me. I actually need to add sodium to my diet to make sure I retain enough water, especially on hot days or when I work out. As long as you tailor health advice to yourself, you will be contributing to better health later in life (though, as others mentioned, you might still be doomed. sometimes there's nothing ya can do).
    True, you should always understand why you are following a specific health tip.
    Ennea:7w8sx/so (?)
    Big5:SCUEI
    Extravert(33%) iNtuitive(50%) Feeling(25%) Perceiving(11)%

So apparently I might be epileptic. Thanks brain, keep malfunctioning. I didn't think it could be that bad seeing starfalls in bookshelves. I just thought I was psychotic.