User Tag List

First 6789 Last

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    That sounds damn good (plus my wife can eat it, she only eats seafood, dairy, and eggs when it comes to animal protein).
    Cool!

Oh forgot, optional, add in a shot of dry sherry or rice wine into the shrimp marinade. I do this unless I'm cooking for my purist Asian parents who hate alcohol with their seafood.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Cool!

Oh forgot, optional, add in a shot of dry sherry or rice wine into the shrimp marinade. I do this unless I'm cooking for my purist Asian parents who hate alcohol with their seafood.
    What about fish sauce?

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    What about fish sauce?
    In what way? Add it to the recipe? Not sure it's necessary since you're already getting a lot of flavour from the shrimp and marinade which ends up to be mixed with the veggies.

I'd use fish sauce in Pad Thai, instead.

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Well, my dad died of a heart attack when I was 19, so I started to eat well after that. I have a friend who went on a radical and austere diet after his dad died (no sugar, animal protein or oils of any kind), and he is now one of the best preserved people I know. He's 59 and looks 40. My brother-in-law looks about 10 years younger than he is, probably because he doesn't drink alcohol or coffee, and eats very carefully. It's somewhat upsetting to my sister that he looks 10 years younger than she does...
    Whoa, how long has he been eating that way? Does he eat fish or anything? Take vitamin supplements? What about gluten?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Are you sure about this? I have heard that it's very well-supported by evidence, although I haven't researched it myself.
    You're right: there are a number of studies which suggest it is so.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity
    Do you have any information that suggests that an equal number of studies found no effect or a negative effect from moderate consumption? (Nobody is suggesting higher consumption of >1-2 glasses/day is good though, it's very harmful at that level)
    From the American Heart Association:
    Over the past several decades, many studies have been published in science journals about how drinking alcohol may be associated with reduced mortality due to heart disease in some populations. Some researchers have suggested that the benefit may be due to wine, especially red wine. Others are examining the potential benefits of components in red wine such as flavonoids (FLAV'oh-noidz) and other antioxidants (an"tih-OK'sih-dants) in reducing heart disease risk. Some of these components may be found in other foods such as grapes or red grape juice. The linkage reported in many of these studies may be due to other lifestyle factors rather than alcohol. Such factors may include increased physical activity, and a diet high in fruits and vegetables and lower in saturated fats No direct comparison trials have been done to determine the specific effect of wine or other alcohol on the risk of developing heart disease or stroke.

Research is being done to find out what the apparent benefits of drinking wine or alcohol in some populations may be due to, including the role of antioxidants, an increase in HDL ("good") cholesterol or anti-clotting properties. Clinical trials of other antioxidants such as vitamin E have not shown any cardio-protective effect. Also, even if they were protective, antioxidants can be obtained from many fruits and vegetables, including red grape juice.

The best-known effect of alcohol is a small increase in HDL cholesterol. However, regular physical activity is another effective way to raise HDL cholesterol, and niacin can be prescribed to raise it to a greater degree. Alcohol or some substances such as resveratrol (res-VAIR'ah-trol) found in alcoholic beverages may prevent platelets in the blood from sticking together. That may reduce clot formation and reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke. (Aspirin may help reduce blood clotting in a similar way.) How alcohol or wine affects cardiovascular risk merits further research, but right now the American Heart Association does not recommend drinking wine or any other form of alcohol to gain these potential benefits. The AHA does recommend that to reduce your risk you should talk to your doctor about lowering your cholesterol and blood pressure, controlling your weight, getting enough physical activity and following a healthy diet. There is no scientific proof that drinking wine or any other alcoholic beverage can replace these conventional measures.
    This is old news, 2001, from the AHA's journal Circulation, via an article on ScienceDaily titled Heart Protective Benefits Of Red Wine Remain Uncertain; Physicians Urged To Rely On Proven Ways To Lower Risk:
    Top medical authorities are cautioning the nation’s health care professionals to downplay the popular but unproven supposition that drinking red wine can help ward off heart attacks.

An American Heart Association science advisory published in today’s Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association urges physicians to emphasize heart-protective steps that may be less appealing than sipping a daily glass or two of wine, but which are firmly supported by scientific research.
    And this from the Mayo Clinic:
    Red wine seems to have even more heart-healthy benefits than other types of alcohol, but it's possible that red wine isn't any better than beer, white wine or liquor for heart health. There's still no clear evidence that red wine is better than other forms of alcohol when it comes to possible heart-healthy benefits.
    Resveratrol might be a key ingredient in red wine that helps prevent damage to blood vessels, reduces "bad" cholesterol and prevents blood clots.

Most research on resveratrol has been done on animals, not people. Research in mice given resveratrol suggests that the antioxidant might also help protect them from obesity and diabetes, both of which are strong risk factors for heart disease. However, those findings were reported only in mice, not in people. In addition, to get the same dose of resveratrol used in the mice studies, a person would have to drink over 60 liters of red wine every day.

Some research shows that resveratrol could be linked to a reduced risk of inflammation and blood clotting, both of which can lead to heart disease. More research is needed before it's known whether resveratrol was the cause for the reduced risk.
    60 liters is 80 bottles a day, not 1-2 glasses.

I'm not saying it can't be true, just that there doesn't appear to be a medical consensus.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Cool, thanks for the opposing side. I have to point out two things, though:

1) most people including doctors will probably never encourage drinking of alcohol, since most people won't stop with 1 glass, and drinking 3 glasses/day is worse than zero.
    2) it's a bit of a strawman for them to say "wine isn't better for you than diet and exercise!!!", since nobody has suggested that this is the case

I'll have to look into the actual studies when I have a chance, then. The review articles I found seemed like there is a consensus.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Dirty little secret: that wino you pass on the street has better arteries than you do.

Of course, his liver is about to explode...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

yummy, 60 litres of wine a day.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    1) most people including doctors will probably never encourage drinking of alcohol, since most people won't stop with 1 glass, and drinking 3 glasses/day is worse than zero.
    I don't know about this. When I drink wine it's typically red, and I typically drink one glass in the evening, two at the very most... this from an ENTP with an addictive personality.

It's a matter of rationing. One bottle shared between my wife and I will last three days if we each drink one glass a day.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I don't really think so.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Whoa, how long has he been eating that way? Does he eat fish or anything? Take vitamin supplements? What about gluten?
    Since he was 28. He eats no meat, including fish, no eggs. Little wheat. And he runs.

In defense of Marms post from earlier, my grandfather eat a very 'Southern' diet, with lots of bacon fat and lard, and lived to 94. I think it was because he didn't overdo it, eat home-grown food, and he exercised as only farmers do, meaning a lot and all day long (he actually had a six-pack in his 70s). Also he had many friends and was involved in his church and community, which is an often overlooked component of long life.