User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Besides, all this anger is not heart-healthy
    Hahaha... I don't know. Reading through I could feel the adrenaline, my bpm was up. That has to have heart benefits.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Hahaha... I don't know. Reading through I could feel the adrenaline, my bpm was up. That has to have heart benefits.
    It's true!

“Worry affects the circulation, the heart, the glands, the whole nervous system, and profoundly affects heart action.”
    - Dr. Charles H. Mayo, founder of the Mayo Clinic

i just want to be a sweetheart

Haha...I had the exact same thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    In modern (western) diets fat and sugar tend to go hand in hand but when you control for sugar like in the traditional Inuit diet (basically a big heap of "artery clogging" fat) most heath problems go away, that is untill they start adopting the modern habit of eating sugar and flour, then they are very unhealthy like Beargryllz pointed out.
    Interesting. That video is interesting as well. Hmmm...

Do you know much more about this?

Never too soon, but I wouldn't worry too much about everything you eat. Might be a good idea to watch what you are more likely to be at risk for due to things like family history. For really unhealthy food that contains trans fat... those type of things.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by burymecloser View Post
    Some studies have reached this conclusion, and a roughly equal number of others have reached the opposite conclusion. Alcohol is generally a huge risk factor for heart disease (as well as innumerable other health issues), and this shouldn't be stated as fact.

Noooooo. Eggs are high not just in fat but in saturated fat, and in cholesterol, and there's the risk of salmonella, yadda yadda yadda.

The avocado suggestion earlier was probably a better idea. I would suggest that "good" sources of fat, to the extent they exist, are things like avocados and olives, nuts and seeds, omega-3 oils (flaxseed, hemp, canola/rapeseed, etc)... It's extremely rare that anyone should go out of their way to get fat in the diet -- eat normally and you'll get plenty -- but if you're really analyzing everything you eat or making a conscious effort to limit fats, those are foods you can do it with. How do we end up suggesting EGGS of all things in a heart-healthy thread?
    Haha, I guess you are right. When I made the post, I was thinking more along the lines of "This 21 y/o OP can certainly eat eggs as a source of vitamins and proteins for an active lifestyle" (without taking into consideration the amount of cholesterol in eggs at all or the fact that she said heart healthy- not, "helpful towards an active lifestyle.") I always personally cater my diet towards packing energy for exercise. And also, when I think of one glass of red wine per day I always think, "raises your HDL! Antioxidants!" When there are clearly other ways to do so.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Haha, I guess you are right. When I made the post, I was thinking more along the lines of "This 21 y/o OP can certainly eat eggs as a source of vitamins and proteins for an active lifestyle"
    Heh...I actually do have health reasons to watch my heart and I'm actually really interested in anything anyone has to say about diet as it relates to preventing heart disease.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that first? Yeah...perhaps...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Heh...I actually do have health reasons to watch my heart and I'm actually really interested in anything anyone has to say about diet as it relates to preventing heart disease.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that first? Yeah...perhaps...
    Yea, for sure. Exercise as doctor prescribes it to you, and for God's sake, don't eat eggs or drink wine without running it by a doc first.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Yea, for sure. Exercise as doctor prescribes it to you, and for God's sake, don't eat eggs or drink wine without running it by a doc first.
    I'm just confused as to why that should make a difference, though. Yeah, I have a chronic inflammatory disease that doubles my chance of heart attack, but shouldn't the diet someone follows under such conditions extend to others as well? What's good for me certainly would be good for Average Joe. Whatever advice someone would give me now shouldn't be any different than what they gave me before.

At least that's how I see it. I don't know...I'm no nutritionist.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm just confused as to why that should make a difference, though. Yeah, I have a chronic inflammatory disease that doubles my chance of heart attack, but shouldn't the diet someone follows under such conditions extend to others as well? What's good for me certainly would be good for Average Joe. Whatever advice someone would give me now shouldn't be any different than what they gave me before.

At least that's how I see it. I don't know...I'm no nutritionist.
    I'm not a nutritionist either. I just think that someone with no heart disease or risk for heart attack can be a little looser with the diet and even define "healthy" a little different. For me, there's no history of heart disease amongst the women of my family, I have low blood pressure, low resting heart rate, good cholesterol, and a beautiful looking EKG. My activity level is the centerpiece of my health, and diet follows, (even surrounds the activity.)

Someone with any kind of heart disease or increased risk of heart attack has a slightly different story. Some people have higher cholesterol or high blood pressure, or anything like that is different, because their bodies may react differently to nutrients. (And even exercise.) So, best thing to do is have a doctor that knows your specific medical history and the physiology of your specific disease is suited to be able to tell you how your diet can affect your system. Does that make sense?

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

But I tell me friends about this (who are years older than I am) and they think I'm crazy.
    I dunno. I guess I'm a real proponent of the phrase "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." I don't want to have to take high BP meds in my 40s for the rest of my life.
    Amiright? *fist bumps all around*
    they think YOU'RE crazy? lol... they are the crazy ones for not caring at all... I eat mostly raw vegan foods, although for me its not so much for health as I just really love it, I tend to feel much better on it... and my friends act like im crazy, except one who is an actual trained nutritionist and he just asked what I was eating and was like" well, you seem to have a much more balanced diet than the average person, you are getting everything you need and then some, just keep a watch on your B12 and selenium and you should be fine." *fist bump* im 26 btw
    You are not powerless, you just need to accept your power for what it is, a part of the whole, no one man can save the world, but you can be a light to those who envelope themselves in darkness, The candle that sparks the inferno.