User Tag List

First 23456 Last

I really don't see the harm in eating a "heart healthy" diet. Can someone give me one good reason (ie. a reason that's not based on what you feel is right)?

It really, really easy to come across food loaded with sodium and saturated fats in this day and age. To err on the side of caution will probably spit you out at "normal intake" level for those sorts of things. Not "under." I don't think North America's big health problem is cause they're not getting enough fat, sodium and cholesterol in their diets.

And as for eggs, my grandmother ate them a lot when she was looking to lose a lot of weight and had a stroke. The doctor said it was probably the eggs that did it. Yeah, eggs every once in a while certainly won't kill you, but calling them heart healthy is misleading.

I know people say "you NEED unhealthy foods cause they balance you out" but this just sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. Need? Want, maybe, but not need. I just want reasons why we need potato chips and bacon and cheese on our everything?

But I guess I'm just not one of those "live to eat" people.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    I really don't see the harm in eating a "heart healthy" diet. Can someone give me one good reason (ie. a reason that's not based on what you feel is right)?
    Because a lot of "heart healthy" food is sugar and starch in disguise, and that's much worse than the fat and cholesterol.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

A person without any kind of heart disease can eat an egg every single day with no dire consequences.

My grandfather ate a lot of bran and wheat bread, and took a lot of vitamins, and ate a lot of fruit as snacks since he was from an older generation (I was very lucky to be raised by my grandparents and to have essentially been given a sensible diet growing up as a result of the fact of their age, since people actually ate better in the 1950's and 60's than they do now)...but he still ate eggs, bacon, British style fried fish with vinegar, fried chicken, and other kinds of traditionally Southern foods and lived to be 80.

The problem is not the foods themselves but the ratio in which they are eaten, and often - like Quinlan pointed out - sugar is a HUGE FUCKING PROBLEM in our country, the consumption of cookies and other snacks, as though these treats were part of nutrition requirements. Also people consume too much sugar and high fructose corn syrup in beverages like soft drinks, Gatorade, etc...some people would lose weight if they simply stopped drinking these sugary beverages.

You're starting to sound kind of self-righteous, OP, so I'll be on my way.

MBTI
    INTP

It isn't just what you eat, or how much you eat, it is what you do. The healthiest diet in the world is not going to lead to a healthy life if the dieter never exercises, for example.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    A person without any kind of heart disease can eat an egg every single day with no dire consequences.
    This is just completely made up. You're going to lose your license to practice medicine, Dr. Marm.

EDIT: It's not made up. It is debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest
    My grandfather ate a lot of bran and wheat bread, and took a lot of vitamins, and ate a lot of fruit as snacks since he was from an older generation (I was very lucky to be raised by my grandparents and to have essentially been given a sensible diet growing up as a result of the fact of their age, since people actually ate better in the 1950's and 60's than they do now)...but he still ate eggs, bacon, British style fried fish with vinegar, fried chicken, and other kinds of traditionally Southern foods and lived to be 80.
    This is what is known as anecdotal evidence. You know what it proves? Nothing.

"My grandmother smoked a pack a day, lived until she was 92, and died of heart failure, so smoking doesn't cause cancer." That's me re-wording your story.

The problem is not the foods themselves but the ratio in which they are eaten, and often - like Quinlan pointed out - sugar is a HUGE FUCKING PROBLEM in our country, the consumption of cookies and other snacks, as though these treats were part of nutrition requirements. Also people consume too much sugar and high fructose corn syrup in beverages like soft drinks, Gatorade, etc...some people would lose weight if they simply stopped drinking these sugary beverages.
    I'd love to see you reconcile the bolded section with the rest of your post. The problem is not the foods, it's ... the consumption of cookies and other snacks. Of course it's how much you eat, but it's also the foods themselves. I agree with you about sugar.
    Last edited by burymecloser; 03-13-2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: supporting evidence provided
    i just want to be a sweetheart

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

That's not "made up", and I think it's fucked up for you to suggest it is.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Haha...ok...that title's a bit of a misnomer. I know there isn't a "too soon" for that kind of thing. I mostly just want to know if there are other young'uns out there who take their diet to heart (har har).

I'm 21 and I try to watch my intake of saturated fats, sodium and cholesterol. Read labels, turn down high-fat, highly salty foods. All that good stuff. But I tell me friends about this (who are years older than I am) and they think I'm crazy.

I dunno. I guess I'm a real proponent of the phrase "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." I don't want to have to take high BP meds in my 40s for the rest of my life.

Amiright? *fist bumps all around*
    Not so much, IMHO. I don't think fat, cholesterol, or salt are serious issues in anyone's diet. I think that carbs and sugar are the things to watch out for, and overall calories.

Stay physically fit and keep your weight in check, and you can eat moderate quantities of any good healthy food that catches your eye. The only things I avoid as a matter of course are chemical additives and hydrogenated oils (Frankenfat). Right now my diet consists principally of meat, fruit, and vegetables, and I could pretty much live on it forever.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by burymecloser View Post
    This is just completely made up. You're going to lose your license to practice medicine, Dr. Marm.
    The pendulum of professional opinion about eggs has swung back and forth multiple times in my lifetime. Personally I think eggs are good food.

You know what captive wild omnivores and carnivores do when you give them an egg? They eat the shit out of that thing, and so should you.