User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

You should eat good food all the time. Except when you aren't hungry.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Haha...ok...that title's a bit of a misnomer. I know there isn't a "too soon" for that kind of thing. I mostly just want to know if there are other young'uns out there who take their diet to heart (har har).

I'm 21 and I try to watch my intake of saturated fats, sodium and cholesterol. Read labels, turn down high-fat, highly salty foods. All that good stuff. But I tell me friends about this (who are years older than I am) and they think I'm crazy.

I dunno. I guess I'm a real proponent of the phrase "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." I don't want to have to take high BP meds in my 40s for the rest of my life.

Amiright? *fist bumps all around*
    My mom (dietitian) Just discovered this thing called "intuitive eating." It pretty much tells you to eat whatever you want, whenever you want. You gain weight at first and are unhealthy since you've been cutting calories and avoiding unhealthy foods for so many years.. (Basically, mentally you just really want them.) But then after a while, you start to crave fruits and vegetables and overall eventually balance your diet and lose weight. The actual book on it tells you how to read your bodies cues for real hunger vs. emotional hunger and decide what you want, and when you're full, etc.. Children are natural intuitive eaters; they don't have the mental training that society gave us to "diet", watch calories, lose weight, eat a perfect serving of everything. Parents get nervous seeing their kids only wanting spagetti, or only wanting one thing or the other. But that's kind of what it's all about. Just listening to your bodies current needs.

Not telling you to eat whatever you want, but I think it's an interesting thought to keep in mind.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I do the intuitive eating thing a lot. It does work. Like I crave healthy foods a great deal.

The only thing is that if you start doing intuitive eating after being on a very restrictive diet, like shortnsweet said, you will pig out on stuff you've been deprived of at first, probably.

But then you'll eventually get grossed out by that and want vegetables and stuff.

I don't know, though, some people really seem to not want healthy food. At all.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I do the intuitive eating thing a lot. It does work. Like I crave healthy foods a great deal.

The only thing is that if you start doing intuitive eating after being on a very restrictive diet, like shortnsweet said, you will pig out on stuff you've been deprived of at first, probably.

But then you'll eventually get grossed out by that and want vegetables and stuff.

I don't know, though, some people really seem to not want healthy food. At all.
    Haha, yea. That's what makes me nervous about it. Nice to hear that someone else has heard of it too. I'm normally an intuitive eater, (except I often crave salt.... so, I guess everyone's different.)

(Look at us hanging out in a classy thread.)

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

shortnsweet, you and I are ballin', we're rollin' in the big time, it's like we're staying at the Trump SoHo...or actually, let's be honest, more like the Marriot but whatever

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yes, those are healthy foods.
    Okay, healthy is different from "good for your health", IMHO. Olive oil is extremely caloric, red wine still has alchool which is bad for your health (I'm aware of the so-called French paradox, but plenty of statisticians are dubious about the methods used to support the arguments of the original study), eggs contain high levels of fats and can be contaminated. Obviously, I still eat plenty of olive oil, eggs and I do drink red wine, but I wouldn't consider my diet as particularly healthy, just average.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Okay, healthy is different from "good for your health", IMHO. Olive oil is extremely caloric, red wine still has alchool which is bad for your health (I'm aware of the so-called French paradox, but plenty of statisticians are dubious about the methods used to support the arguments of the original study), eggs contain high levels of fats and can be contaminated. Obviously, I still eat plenty of olive oil, eggs and I do drink red wine, but I wouldn't consider my diet as particularly healthy, just average.
    One glass of red wine per day is very heart healthy. It is one of the few things that actually raises your HDL (good cholesterol.) HDL helps to eliminate LDL's or "bad cholesterol." Poly and monounsaturated fats are good for you in moderation, (just like a lot of other things) and you need a certain percent of fat in the diet to help run your body and brain and stay healthy. I think eggs are a good choice regardless of fat because they are so high in protein and vitamins. (So if you're going to get your fat, get it in eggs.) Are you in Italy? (or ANY OTHER country besides the US, for that matter?) An "average" diet there is a "healthy diet" over here because we ingest so much crap. Also, sorry if I'm preaching to the choir, just my opinion of why those are both good foods.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTe

It's never too early. My mom has always been pretty health conscious when it comes to diet and I got used to eating well from early on. As a consequence, my favorite foods are more often than not healthy foods. (Of course, with college's pizza and beer land being the one long 4-year exception to the healthy eating rule.)
    I can fully indulge in the not-so healthy stuff from time to time without feeling too guilty.
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I've been increasing my fats (including saturated) and even salt intake lately and I'm losing weight and feeling good.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    One glass of red wine per day is very heart healthy.
    Some studies have reached this conclusion, and a roughly equal number of others have reached the opposite conclusion. Alcohol is generally a huge risk factor for heart disease (as well as innumerable other health issues), and this shouldn't be stated as fact.

I think eggs are a good choice regardless of fat because they are so high in protein and vitamins. (So if you're going to get your fat, get it in eggs.)
    Noooooo. Eggs are high not just in fat but in saturated fat, and in cholesterol, and there's the risk of salmonella, yadda yadda yadda.

The avocado suggestion earlier was probably a better idea. I would suggest that "good" sources of fat, to the extent they exist, are things like avocados and olives, nuts and seeds, omega-3 oils (flaxseed, hemp, canola/rapeseed, etc)... It's extremely rare that anyone should go out of their way to get fat in the diet -- eat normally and you'll get plenty -- but if you're really analyzing everything you eat or making a conscious effort to limit fats, those are foods you can do it with. How do we end up suggesting EGGS of all things in a heart-healthy thread?
    i just want to be a sweetheart