First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Its never really too soon.. Just don't become one of those fanatics that go crazy with health-food shit. If you're prone to high BP genetically (diet is not the only thing that causes it.. its not even the biggest factor in it..), or any other disease, don't be heart broken and think you didn't 'do enough' to prevent it.

But a good diet and exercise can decrease your risks, especially if you ARE prone to it, and that is the key my friend. Enjoy eating healthy, and do your best so you don't feel guilt when you have to deal with the rest.
    Completely agree with what you say. Heart disease doesn't run in my family but I do generally eat heart healthy and have since my teens. I just feel better in general when I eat healthy. You are right in that you could do all the right things eating wise and still get heart disease. Some people eat all the wrong things and still live to be 90. Yet, eating heart healthy will definitely decrease you risk. I don't think being fanatic is good either. Your body needs some fat and sodium in moderation. Also if you ate perfectly healthy all the time that would be pretty dull. An occasional indulgence isn't going to hurt you.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental Chaos View Post
    Taking care of yourself strikes me as very Fe. ^^ Of course it's always a good thing to do.
    Why is it Fe? Its focused on yourself, not on others.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's never too soon. It's a good idea even for children to eat their vegetables and to eat oatmeal, and not be fed McDonald's and ice cream every day.

On the other hand, I think it's pretty silly to deny yourself the pleasure of eating foods you enjoy ALL OF THE TIME unless you've already got health problems.

I think the key is to incorporate healthier, lower fat foods into your diet (olive oil, red wine, bran flakes, green tea, fruits, veggies, fish, poach or boil your eggs instead of frying them, etc.) but to still enjoy your life, especially if you're quite young.

I've always thought the most sensible way to eat was to normally eat fairly healthy but indulge yourself, too...just not every single day all day long.

The problem with the American diet is people eating fatty, fried, sugary shit all day long nearly every day. That's not good for anybody, I don't care how old they are.

i started around 27. not too strict.
    i'll go on a health binge one or twice
    a year. usually it goes hand in hand
    with putting water up my ass and
    cleaning out my colon.

makes me feel light.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I am also a pretty health-conscious young'un.

As long as you really have an understanding of what your body needs, and you're not just listening to hooplah about what is bad for you this week, you should be good. For instance, the low-sodium diet that my grandpa follows would be bad for me. I actually need to add sodium to my diet to make sure I retain enough water, especially on hot days or when I work out. As long as you tailor health advice to yourself, you will be contributing to better health later in life (though, as others mentioned, you might still be doomed. sometimes there's nothing ya can do).

Oh, this too. I drink so many fluids and take a certain medication that if I followed a low-sodium diet it would make me very sick, could even kill me.

Also, your brain needs fat to function properly. Low-fat can be taken too far...you need a certain amount of fat to be healthy, especially "good fats."

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Also, your brain needs fat to function properly. Low-fat can be taken too far...you need a certain amount of fat to be healthy, especially "good fats."
    avocados <3 <3
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental Chaos View Post
    Taking care of yourself strikes me as very Fe. ^^ Of course it's always a good thing to do.
    Explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i started around 27. not too strict.
    i'll go on a health binge one or twice
    a year. usually it goes hand in hand
    with putting water up my ass and
    cleaning out my colon.

makes me feel light.

Yeah, I know everyone's saying "don't be fanatic" and stuff, but I'm just confused as to what "fanatic" is supposed to mean. I turn down bacon mac'n'cheese and all of a sudden I'm a "fanatic" to all my friends. I eat salads with lean protein and fruit every day for lunch and I'm "fanatic" to everyone at work. Doesn't feel fanatic.

Who's to say I'm not enjoying life just as much eating the way I am? Why does "healthy diet" equal "pain, starvation, denial of pleasure?" Of course your body needs fat and sodium, but getting it from high saturated fatty foods and highly processed salty foods is not the way to go about it. I guess I just see them (and things like bacon mac'n'cheese or meat lover's pizza) as unnecessary to my diet.

Not that I'm judgmental towards other people for their diets. Cause I'm not. I just don't understand why peeps gotta hate on mine.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Okay, like if you actually *don't like* bacon mac 'n cheese, then that's not being a fanatic.

But if you love fresh bread with real butter and sweet rolls or tacos and pizza and YOU NEVER EVER allow yourself to eat those things (I would suggest giving yourself one day a week, even if you're hyper-vigilant) ...then, yeah, you're being a fanatic.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    (olive oil, red wine, bran flakes, green tea, fruits, veggies, fish, poach or boil your eggs instead of frying them, etc.)
    Are these considered health foods?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes, those are healthy foods.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Are these considered health foods?
    yea....
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.