• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes sense for breakfast?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I eat those pre-made, Jimmy Dean Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Croissants for breakfast every day. Sometimes I have the Ham and Cheese Croissants instead.

I think that makes sense. :yes:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why are certain foods considered 'breakfast' foods and others aren't? Why is cereal, eggs, bacon, and toast considered breakfast foods but foods like soup, pizza, chocolate, hamburgers, or broccoli are not? Is it just some tradition that happened to be passed down the generation or is there some other reason like breakfast foods being easier to prepare?

I eat for breakfast whatever is easy to prepare. Who cares if its a considered a breakfast food or not. I don't usually have the time to cook much as I have to go work. So I usually eat things like cereal, yogurt, fruit ('traditional' breakfast foods) but also things like popcorn, leftovers from the night before, carrot sticks, etc. which are not considered 'breakfast' foods.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I just have a few scrambled eggs and coffee. Carbs first thing in the morning = blech.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The usual variety of things for me:
Cereal (honey bunches of oats, raisin bran, or whatever is cheap lol), Poached Eggs on toast, PB&J, Oatmeal with cinnamon/sugar/maple syrup, Yogurt or Jello, Fruit.

While it's just become a tradition that is further backed by most eateries, it really doesn't matter what sort of food you eat for breakfast. Different cultures are prone to eating different things to start their day, I would imagine. It's really just personal preference.

Ideally, it's said you should have a meal that is higher in carbs, and/or potentially protein, early in your day. It's also said that breakfast should be your largest meal, while dinner should be fairly small. This is also up to preference.
I prefer to eat a small/fair portion for breakfast as I don't tend to plan out the rest of my meals for the day. I fall prey to the 'If I like it, I'm not going to throw away half of it or care for moderation' mindset at dinner, so I accommodate for it when it is feasible to do so. Oddly enough, I don't find cereal or oatmeal to be very filling for very long. While they fuel the body, I think proteins take longer to digest.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Why are certain foods considered 'breakfast' foods and others aren't? Why is cereal, eggs, bacon, and toast considered breakfast foods but foods like soup, pizza, chocolate, hamburgers, or broccoli are not? Is it just some tradition that happened to be passed down the generation or is there some other reason like breakfast foods being easier to prepare?

I always thought it had to do with some foods being easier to digest. That's what my mother told me anyway, when I questioned her about this as a kid. When I found inconsistencies in this theory (why are heavy, greasy meats like sausage and bacon okay, but not a lighter meat like chicken?) she just told me that's what you do, and I should just listen to her, and why do I have to debate all the time.

I think it's mostly tradition now, even if the traditions originally made sense (like making a point of eating mainly carbohydrates to ensure we had enough energy for our daily activities? Dunno). I pretty much just eat whatever I'd eat any other time of the day.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Anything that will get your body going. It just makes sense to eat breakfast, regardless of the type of food, because you've been fasting for 4-12 hours depending on your sleep schedule and the number of hours you sleep for typically.

Leftovers from the night before are sometimes what I choose, sometimes just a hard boiled egg chopped into a small salad, and sometimes I go all out with the whole egg-and-bacon sandwich thing. :yes:

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp

Thats kind of what I'm getting at... why is it that some meals get classified for certain times? But in this thread I'm specifically asking what makes sense for breakfast because I'm curious if there is a specific reason why traditional foods are traditional.

I think having chocolate or any other form of highly refined sugar would be really shitty for breakfast though. That said, I've been known to have milkshakes with breakfast! haha

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
2 eggs scrambled, grits (with butter, salt, and pepper), and crumbled up bacon. All mixed together with several dashes of Tabasco.

2 pieces of rye toast with butter. A glass of OJ.

And if I wanna really over do it... Some hash browns, scattered, smothered, and covered (covered in cheese and onions for those of you who don't know waffle house orders).

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
God, I hate bacon. It is without a doubt the most over rated thing ever. Without a doubt.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I *LOVE* toast, eggs, beans, etc for breakfast - even if they're standard. They're definitely the standard in the United Kingdom! I think it's just generally considered f**ktarded if you eat anything outside the standard, though - presumably foods for later-in-the-day meals. It just doesn't make sense to me. None the less, I'm yet to try my other favorite food's, generally, in the morning - especially cheeseburgers. I know my mum would fret over it *BIG TIME*, though. :(

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know what's really good? They have these little artisan breakfast sandwiches at starbucks (YES! SPs MAKE THEM!)...but anyway, there's one with bacon, egg, and gouda, and I believe it's on sourdough.

I recommend it. I mean, you could make it at home. You could even skip the bacon and do egg and gouda.

Oatmeal it always good, and it's really good for you.

POACHED EGGS!

I'm a huge fan of poached eggs. And strawberry jam on whole wheat toast.

Any of those things.

Or just eat sushi or a grilled chicken sandwich. Food is food, go with whatever sounds good, as long as it's not candy...I don't think candy is a very healthy breakfast.

wolfy

awsm
You know what's really good? They have these little artisan breakfast sandwiches at starbucks (YES! SPs MAKE THEM!)...but anyway, there's one with bacon, egg, and gouda, and I believe it's on sourdough.

Ha, I used to work in an artisan bakery.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd like to work in a bakery. I think it would be fun to decorate fancy wedding cakes and such.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i love the all day breakfast from dean and deluca's.
fried egg, pancetta and veal sausage in a brioche.
oh man. and the most amazing butter, if right out
of the toaster oven thing, biting into it, the butter
dribbles onto my chin. mmmm. just the right mix of
messy and tasty.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
GEeeeZa!

I can recommend the following. It might not be the most healthy choice, unless you burn some calories... But it's freaking awesome.

First off, you'll need some Ciabatta bread.

40887f0b36ccad5e

Alright, cut that shit in half, horizontally. So that you can make two sandwiches, you know.
Butter your sandwiches, then put some garlic powder on them, as well as some oregano.
Don't use too little butter, or I will come and haunt you when I die from crying over it.

OK, now grab some of this! MOZZARELLA!

ING-fresh-mozzarella1_sql.jpg

Slice it up to pieces of above size and put them on your sandwich. Don't over-crowd the poor little bread.
If you get leftovers from the cheese, eat it or something. Perhaps make more sandwiches to others. Usually, you won't get much leftovers, though.
One of those small cheeses is usually just enough to make a couple of sandwiches.

OK, done with the worst part, I guess.

NEXT, take some friggin' tiny TOMATOES :O

cherry_tomatoes.jpg

Slice those red bastards up!!! And put them on top of the mozzarella. The cheese is gonna melt, so put them closer to the middle.
They'll drift out in the oven, some might even fall off.

OK, last ingredient. Put just a little liquid butter on top of the tomatoes. Trust me, this makes it so much better.
Last thing you do before the oven, just spray on some water onto the sandwich, it will help it to last longer in the oven somehow.
If you don't have a spray bottle with water in your kitchen, just sprinkle some on and rub the underside of the bread with water.

Last step. OVEN!!! The gates of Hell!

OK, the oven should be pre-heated to about 400 degrees Fahrenheit (or 200 degrees Celsius). Keep them in there for something between 8-12 minutes. It always depends.
They should be brown around the edges of the bread. Good and crusty, you know.
Put these puppies into the middle of the oven on a rack guard. Put something under it, because these things drip and tomatoes can fall off.
Whatever you do, don't use the microwave or some crazy stunt like that, it'll ruin everything.

Have fun! These are some tasty mozzarella & tomato hot sandwiches. Also, don't be afraid if there's some smoke.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I love a good homemade breakfast burrito. For me, that consists of a large flour tortilla heated over a flame (keep turning it over), scrambled egg, and grated cheese with tapatio on each bite.