User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes sense for breakfast?

Symbolic Herald Array

Quinoa is a high quality breakfast food because it has great nutritional content and is slow burning. I like it because it tastes good made savory or sweet.

I've heard it said that its a good idea to eat fruit first in the morning, before eating anything else, but I can't recall the logic behind it. Another breakfast option for me is to make smoothies from frozen fruit (thawed out the night before) with a little juice and soymilk.

Many cultures do soup for breakfast. Miso soup, for example, is supposed to be very good for starting the day. I enjoy miso soup for breakfast occasionally, but I buy the mix, I don't make it myself.

Freaking Ratchet Array Rail Tracer's Avatar

What makes sense? Food.

What doesn't made sense? No food.

Too bad I have trouble trying to stuff a large portion into my stomach let alone even a decent sized portion for breakfast.

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    OATMEAL. I cannot say enough good stuff about oatmeal. It makes me feel amazing. Amazing.

I can't really stand the texture of the instant stuff and I don't usually have time for the real kind, so I mix up a big tupperware of plain quick oats, some cinnamon and brown sugar, craisins or other dried fruit, and some chopped nuts. The add-ins help with the texture and the taste definitely.
    "Real" oatmeal takes only ~3-4 min to prepare in a microwave. I eat it almost every day, with various additives. I can't stand quick oats, and keep the instant stuff for emergencies.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I don't like toast, unless I splurge on nice bread that makes good toast, like rye bread. What I have:

often - steel cut oatmeal with sugar and dried fruit/berries of some kind
    often - plain yogurt with bananas/berries, sometimes granola (I like harvest crunch), sometimes some honey
    sometimes - eggs alone, fried
    every so often - sugary cereal and milk, lol
    every so often - eggs in an english muffin, with cheese and ham if I have any, even a bit of leafy greens on top is good
    rarely and only on weekends - pancakes, or bacon/eggs/fried potatoes

I think what makes sense is high protein, some fat, some simple carbs, some complex carbs with fiber. I don't really have a reason, that just seems like a good way to start things. Combines long-lasting energy with a boost right away.
    ^ ooh all of that sounds so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    "Real" oatmeal takes only ~3-4 min to prepare in a microwave. I eat it almost every day, with various additives. I can't stand quick oats, and keep the instant stuff for emergencies.
    ^ I do that too. Tasty.

I often just have eggs and fruit. That isn't really cutting it now I am moving around so much. I think I will add in oatmeal. Any kind of balanced meal is fine, I don't know why more standard breakfast stuff is more carby. That doesn't make much sense.

The traditional Japanese breakfast is grilled salmon, miso soup and rice. I like it but it is a bit of a hassle.

5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Why is it that toast with eggs became the standard?
    What actually nutritionally makes the most sense in the morning?
    toast with eggs isnt an standard, even if its popular in where you live.

i think porridge and some fruit would be optimal for nutrition
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I can't really stand the texture of the instant stuff and I don't usually have time for the real kind
    If I have an hour free on the weekends, I make a big pot of steel-cut oatmeal - it doesn't need much watching, and it keeps very well. Throw it in a couple containers - it easily lasts for several days, maybe even until Friday, although mine's usually eaten by then. Just nuke it in the microwave for about 2min, add a bit of water if it looks dry/too thick.

I don't think I can stomach the texture of instant oats anymore after trying the real stuff. I always really liked the instant stuff before, but the real stuff I could eat like candy (with some sugar added, anyway). And it doesn't take any longer to heat it up on the weekday mornings which is when you're rushed.
    -end of thread-

Dreaming the life Array onemoretime's Avatar

Cold pizza.

9w1 sx/so

well i say eat whatever ya want who cares ya know?

but i personally love breakfast...i think it's my favorite...not much makes me happier than a long leisurely breakfast or brunch buffet loaded with all of my favorite stuff.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

I agree that eating a lot is good in the morning. I usually feel better and less hungry throughout the day if I do that. I've heard that people who eat a large breakfast usually are thinner, too, but that is not of particular concern for me.