• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm dying

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's obviously upset, he made a thread about it to vent. Pity parties are all fine and dandy but people die all the time. My post was for later on when he stops feeling like a victim. To the bolded: Right on, as if my initial reaction was so very positive. :)

Your opening lines in your first post in this thread came off as unnecessarily crass. By stating that "people die all the time" and devaluing the validity of the thread by referring to it as a "pity party" in what I assume was an attempt to come off as sarcastic and desensitized , you are't necessarily stating anything particularly insightful, or that wasn't abundantly clear to everyone prior to that, so fail on trying to play that oh so common internet cynical realist shtick. Sure, technically we are all going to die, but what keeps most of us functioning mentally in a healthy manner is the willful ignorance of not knowing, and I'm sure despite how insensitive you'd like to appear to believe you are toward the issue, knowing your own death was imminent would surely invoke some emotion, which is only natural.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Do what you can. The great thing is this diagnosis isn't entirely damning. :hug: It is always frustrating to hear things like this.. out of your control, with little to be done on it one way or the other. Everything sounds like a death sentence when it comes to diagnostics.

Keep us informed please.

P

Phantonym

"People die all the time" -- What does that have to do with any of this?

The point is, you're not dead yet. There is still something you can do about your condition.

Your opening lines in your first post in this thread came off as unnecessarily crass. By stating that "people die all the time" and devaluing the validity of the thread by referring to it as a "pity party" in what I assume was an attempt to come off as sarcastic and desensitized , you are't necessarily stating anything particularly insightful, or that wasn't abundantly clear to everyone prior to that, so fail on trying to play that oh so common internet cynical realist shtick. Sure, technically we are all going to die, but what keeps most of us functioning mentally in a healthy manner is the willful ignorance of not knowing, and I'm sure despite how insensitive you'd like to appear to believe you are toward the issue, knowing your own death was imminent would surely invoke some emotion, which is only natural.

I can agree with unnecessarily crass.

As to the rest of the post, I would appreciate if you didn't assume anything.

Mole

Permabanned
Dying on the internet.

The great thing about dying today is that we can die on the internet.

Just as we all watch Blackmail shave in the morning and watch Fidelia sleep without a gun, we can all share our dying.

Of course we are all going to die, but somehow we sweep it under the carpet, but now we can die together on the internet. There is no need to die alone, we can all die together, one at a time.

We can all be there. We have tons of time. And what could be more interesting than dying.

Of course we live in a society that hides dying in the hospital, dying was a private matter, but privacy is over, even the privacy of dying, and we can now share our dying days.

I can hold your hand and you can hold mine until we breathe our last sweet breath.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Congrats. Aren't we all?

So, tough luck.
You're a real sweetheart, you know that?

He's obviously upset, he made a thread about it to vent. Pity parties are all fine and dandy but people die all the time. My post was for later on when he stops feeling like a victim.
People die all the time, yes. Oneself does not. Fear of death is the most fundamental and universal characteristic living beings have. Yet your reaction to someone else's bad news is to mock it as a "pity party" and deride his distress as "feeling like a victim". That's kind of fucked up.

I can agree with unnecessarily crass.
And yet you continue in the same vein.

I really question the mindset of someone who reads the phrase "I'm dying" and whose immediate reaction is that this person should be reprimanded and publicly embarrassed. Someone who's upset looks to a friendly community for sympathy, support, understanding, and you act like this merits some sort of punishment. Are you deranged?

Mole

Permabanned
Turn on, tune in and drop out.

Die with me, Vic (on the net of course)!

Marshall McLuhan told us, "turn on, tune in and drop out".

And Timothy Leary made these words famous by quoting them in a speech in New York in 1966.

And then Timothy did just that - he was the first person to die on the internet, the first person to die with us rather than dying alone.

So one might say that turning on, tuning in and droping out finds its highest expression in dying with us on the internet.

Of course the internet is an electronic media like the radio. So how appropriate to turn it on, tune it to a station and letting our mind run free.

And all under the auspice of the patron saint of the internet, Marshall McLuhan.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
34514b5b4b8f83919.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doc emailed me this morning and told me not to worry. He pasted his emailed correspondence with the cardiologist who looked at my EKG results. She said it looks like a natural deviation and that no further testing is needed. So, I guess that's good news. I'm quite a bit relieved. Beats a summons to do more testing. I guess I'm good [enough] to go... Just need to watch my BP. I'm thinking my doc might need to up the dosage a little bit on my medication. So far, it's not getting it down as low as I want it. Hard to tell if it's doing anything at all. I've always been able to get my numbers down into the borderline area by just sitting still and breathing well for a few minutes. It's crazy how my Systolic pressure can fluctuate nearly 40 points in a matter of minutes...

iwakar, how did your friend find out about her PKD? How old is she? One of her parents has it, I assume? If you'd rather PM, that's dandy.

P

Phantonym

You're a real sweetheart, you know that?

People die all the time, yes. Oneself does not. Fear of death is the most fundamental and universal characteristic living beings have. Yet your reaction to someone else's bad news is to mock it as a "pity party" and deride his distress as "feeling like a victim". That's kind of fucked up.

And yet you continue in the same vein.

I really question the mindset of someone who reads the phrase "I'm dying" and whose immediate reaction is that this person should be reprimanded and publicly embarrassed. Someone who's upset looks to a friendly community for sympathy, support, understanding, and you act like this merits some sort of punishment. Are you deranged?

Thank you for your concern for my mental health.

I can only claim that you cannot possibly know the true depth of my sentiments which were not expressed here in an expected or refined way.

I have already apologized to Beat for not publicly expressing enough concern for his wellbeing as he certainly deserves.

But I will stand behind my words as they were the result of my interpretation of the purpose of this kind of thread.

The matter is closed to me.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What are you going to do about it? It's ok to vent about it but if you're going to continue dwelling on it and being all negative, it's not going to make you better. It's definitely going to get your blood pressure even higher. Might I suggest that instead of getting yourself worked up about all the possible scenarios you can find on the Internet, wait for a professional to take a look at things and assess them with a cool head.

You can probably find some info online about people who have all that and possibly even worse as well but they're still able to be positive and enjoy life. Stay positive and good luck.

Agreed. :yes:

Beat, I'm very sorry to hear about your problem. But I really think that you're going to be okay. Just put it in your doctor's hands, and try not to worry. I know it's difficult, but it's important that you don't stress yourself out and risk becoming less healthy. It could be the difference between life and death.

And remember... death is inevitable. What you choose to do with the time before death, is not. Try to accomplish everything that you can before you die, try to make your time count. Even if you're not dying, I guarantee you won't regret trying to make the most of each day.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wait, you're not actually dying, you just have high blood pressure? Dude, change your diet and start exercising. Most health problems in the United States can be fixed with diet and weight loss, no offense, but having high blood pressure at your age is probably related to lifestyle.

And, no, I'm not trying to be mean, I honestly feel like this is the most helpful thing to say to you.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
Not to sound all hippy or anything, but a primarily vegan diet, the more raw the better, and meditation, can do wonders for a persons health... not saying a person has to completely cut out the bad foods, but reducing them considerably can have major bonuses for health... also, cinnamon is super good for you, and can be used in a huge number of vegan recipes...hehehe
*gives you a batch of raw vegan cinnamon banana sorbet*
bananaicecream1.jpg

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Wait, you're not actually dying, you just have high blood pressure? Dude, change your diet and start exercising. Most health problems in the United States can be fixed with diet and weight loss, no offense, but having high blood pressure at your age is probably related to lifestyle.

And, no, I'm not trying to be mean, I honestly feel like this is the most helpful thing to say to you.
No, I don't just have high blood pressure. I don't know if you've read the thread or not. I have kidney disease, high blood pressure and a deviation of the electrical signal in my heart (which at this point is not to worry about according to the doc, though research on my end suggests it's not a good thing and my chance of developing heart disease rises because of this). I did think the EKG results would turn out to be a more serious issue then they did though and for that I'm relieved.

I've had high blood pressure since I was 14.... I'm not overweight. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week. Even in my cardio prime during my bout in the Marines I had high blood pressure. I try to keep a decent diet, but it's not completely strict.

Breakfast: Apple, 1 whole egg, three egg whites, oatmeal with cinnamon and a tbsp of almond butter.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
mmmm, cinnamon in oatmeal is awesome, ive used apple butter for sweetener be4 as well, and thats pretty yummy with the cinnamon, almond butter sounds pretty awesome too, ive not tried almond butter in oatmeal, your making me hungry, hehe

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
But really, that's a good idea: the apple butter in oatmeal. That would go great with cinnamon (heh, what doesn't right?) too.