User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: I'm dying

MBTI
    ISTx

I want to be that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    Doing an ultrasound and whatever other tests. It was always assumed that my high bp was linked to kidney disease, because in the past I've had protein in my urine as well (two good indicators). I had an EKG done before I joined the military and all checked out fine, so it seems if there is a problem with my heart, it's a relatively new development.

I've arranged to have EKG sent from old doc to new doc for a comparison.
    Comparing new data to old data = good. Do you plan to proceed with the ultrasounds etc. in the near future?

Immediately, I am more concerned about how you are/will be coping with this stressful news (keepin' blood pressure in check) than I am about your long-term maintenance. I know you will do well if you tackle this with a healthy perspective. You're a tough nut guy.

If you need to vent to someone and fail to do so, I will make it a point to be offended just to discourage you from your default stoicism.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ISTx

I don't want a diagnosis of PKD, I just want to be able to manage my BP. This potential heart problem showing up as a result of me trying to do that is the worst kind of news. Heart issues terrify me to begin with, and this has the potential (if it is serious enough) to ruin what I've been aspiring to, occupation wise, since my teens. I'm trying not to worry yet, but I've been dwelling on this all day. It's a slow waiting game of medical trial and error at this point.

Thanks for the concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    I don't want a diagnosis of PKD, I just want to be able to manage my BP. This potential heart problem showing up as a result of me trying to do that is the worst kind of news. Heart issues terrify me to begin with, and this has the potential (if it is serious enough) to ruin what I've been aspiring to, occupation wise, since my teens. I'm trying not to worry yet, but I've been dwelling on this all day. It's a slow waiting game of medical trial and error at this point.

Thanks for the concern.
    If I need street cred. for venting, I suffer from both (mild) heart and kidney disease as well.

"The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

ThatGirl

Thanks a lot BEAT! Now I feel bad about giving you shit all the time. Probably not good for the BP.

Question, did you have any prolonged illness as a kid?

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

A low salt diet might help with the blood pressure... perhaps massage to calm you down and lower the bp? (Hey, any excuse is a good excuse.)

Also, sorry to hear you're so stressed from this news.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    Congrats. Aren't we all?

So, tough luck. What are you going to do about it? It's ok to vent about it but if you're going to continue dwelling on it and being all negative, it's not going to make you better. It's definitely going to get your blood pressure even higher. Might I suggest that instead of getting yourself worked up about all the possible scenarios you can find on the Internet, wait for a professional to take a look at things and assess them with a cool head.

You can probably find some info online about people who have all that and possibly even worse as well but they're still able to be positive and enjoy life. Stay positive and good luck.
    Wow, someone posts bad news and your reaction is to browbeat and criticise them? I agree that keeping a positive attitude is important, but when you first learn something like this, of course you're going to be upset. Not to have a negative initial reaction is not to be human.

Ignite, so sorry about your bad news. Keep your head up. And keep doing research -- not to depress yourself, but to learn more about what's going on and what you may be able to do about it. Lots of people have high blood pressure, and there are more and more avenues for treating it. Good luck.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Sorry to hear about your BP. It doesn't sound like you're actually dying at the moment, although it's human nature to be worried. I'm not a doctor or anything, but I know that lots of people live long lives with high blood pressure and/or kidney problems. And lots of people have weird EKGs without it being anything serious (of course you need to get it checked out, that's all).

Hope the tests come back well and ease your mind.
    -end of thread-

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by burymecloser View Post
    Wow, someone posts bad news and your reaction is to browbeat and criticise them? I agree that keeping a positive attitude is important, but when you first learn something like this, of course you're going to be upset. Not to have a negative initial reaction is not to be human.
    He's obviously upset, he made a thread about it to vent. Pity parties are all fine and dandy but people die all the time. My post was for later on when he stops feeling like a victim. To the bolded: Right on, as if my initial reaction was so very positive.

MBTI
    ISTx

"People die all the time" -- What does that have to do with any of this?