• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Protein suggestions

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I started this thread in response to violaine saying that trainers have told her that most women do not get enough protein.

Friends of mine with diabetes have also recently said that eating protein and carbs at every meal helps keep sugars level.

My problem is that most of the proteins I like for snacks also involve quite a bit of fat. For example, I like cheese and apples or peanut butter and banana, but both forms of protein involve fat. I also like walnuts or almonds, but if I want nuts with salad, I've kind of used up my alotment. I don't like sliced turkey alone and I'm not big on canned fish of any sort. I don't mind fish or eggs as an entree, but not for a snack.

I don't mind yoghurt but don't like the flavoured stuff because it's too sugary, we can't get Greek yoghurt here, and plain stuff involves packing it into a smaller container to take somewhere. I'm looking for something that's kind of convenient and quick that could be taken to work etc.

I know that whole grains contain some protein (stuff like quinoa especially), but I'm not sure if the serving size you'd need would result in quite a few calories.

I'm wondering, do protein shakes have much for calories? If someone is not living a terribly active lifestyle, is that going to result in weight gain?

gromit

likes this
I'd go with nuts and cheese/peanut butter over protein shakes. I think that kind of thing has a lot of sugar in order to make it taste ok...

rav3n

For the average sized woman isn't somewhere between 4 - 5 oz of protein per day sufficient? This would mean that you could consume this in one meal or at least 90% of it where the balance is in a handful of nuts, a tablespoon of peanut butter or serve dinner with beans, spinach or broccoli.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I wondered about that.

I use dry curd cottage cheese to add cheese texture to salads, but it doesn't taste very good by itself because there is no salt in it (very little anyway).

gromit

likes this
Do you like tofu? There's a lot you can make with it. Or how about something like lentil salad?

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I have a protein smoothie for breakfast every morning. I just use frozen fruit, V8 fruit juice, and this powder:
85827884_640.jpg

Those powders come in vanilla, banana, strawberry, chocolate, etc... And you really can't tell they're in the smoothie at all. I don't ever have time to make them in the morning, so I got cups with lids and make them the night before, stick them in the fridge, then grab one in the morning. As long as you don't get a high-calorie fruit juice to make them, they're very healthy.

And consuming that much protein with very little carbs in the morning apparently kick-starts your metabolism and helps burn off calories the rest of the day. (Or so my healthy-people sources tell me.)

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't mind tofu in stirfry or something. What's it taste like cold? Yeah, I could see lentil salad. Do chickpeas also have protein, or no?

gromit

likes this
Chickpeas have some protein. I don't think they're the highest-protein bean, but they're pretty good.

You can also make tofu scramble where you crumble it up and cook it with some seasonings and maybe onions. That’s good on top of something like rice or some other steamed grain. You just have to season it. Have you tried quinoa? It's getting to be pretty popular so you can find it at a lot of regular grocery stores.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Whey protein - cottage cheese, I :heart: cottage cheese!... plus they're putting it in other things now if you want to spend the money on specialty shakes.

Whey protein is great for you because it helps your body to burn fat.

Also, don't be so wary about nuts and nut butters, they contain "good fats" that your body needs, so long as your saturated fat intake is lower, and you're avoiding sugar and eating whole grains.

Whole grains contain more protein - dark breads, oatmeal, quinoa, etc.

Quinoa is actually a complete protein, and mixed with beans it's awesome.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Protein shakes go one of two ways in most cases- you can mix them up with water/milk and suffer through a commonly bad/chalky taste (unless there's a good brand recommended), or you find recipes of what to mix them with for balancing out taste in relation to your caloric/etc intake.
I used to make some with Chocolate Whey. The brand I used would equal out to around 400-500 calories when I used peanut butter, bananas, and a little nesquick mix. Obviously, there are even healthier options than that, as Patches suggested.

I bought Emerald almonds coated in cocoa powder. They were good to snack on.
Hummus has some protein
Oatmeal. There are also recipes for healthier oatmeal cookies with protein powders added to the batter.

There's a site I used to frequent- Johnstonefitness.com - There is a forum completely dedicated to 'clean' recipes. It's where I saw ones like oatmeal/protein cookies and such. There's also a women's section if you ever feel like browsing. There were a lot of very dedicated people, who were very interested in keeping their diet as clean and in ratio as possible. :yes:

rav3n

While I'm too lazy to do this, organic peanut butter is pretty easy to make. Buy raw nuts, shell, roast, put into blender with some oil. Blend to crunchy or smooth peanut butter.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You can also make cottage cheese at home with some milk and buttermilk or plain kefir, a big pot, and some cheesecloth.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Most Americans eat ~50% more protein than they need, so I wouldn't worry about getting enough. (PS: I know, you're Canadian)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most Americans eat ~50% more protein than they need, so I wouldn't worry about getting enough. (PS: I know, you're Canadian)

This may be true, but it's not enough to say: You're in America, don't worry. People have different circumstances.

I researched this recently because for several reasons I've decided to drastically reduce the amount of meat in my diet. I think most of what I've come up with have already been mentioned. My fav is oatmeal. I love oatmeal.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
This may be true, but it's not enough to say: You're in America, don't worry. People have different circumstances.
QUOTE]

She lives in North America, in a town. She has a job. She surfs the internet. I think it's within reason to assume that she has a diet not unlike others within that demographic. You're right though, there is a large variation in what some people in this culture eat, or have access to.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'd go with nuts and cheese/peanut butter over protein shakes. I think that kind of thing has a lot of sugar in order to make it taste ok...
Not true. Optimum Nutrition (ON)'s protein is probably the most popular whey protein shake powder supplement on the market (tastes good - like dessert if mixed with milk, mixes really easy and comes in a multitude of flavors - including "cake batter" and "chocolate coconut"). I like to put a little chocolate whey protein in my oatmeal in the mornings. It works as a flavoring/sweetener when you do it.

onwhey2.jpg

100Whey-facts.jpg

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

wolfy

awsm
What Beat said. You could go for a meal replacement like EAS Myoplex, though they can be pretty steep. About cold tofu, it is nice topped with crushed ginger and soy sauce.