User Tag List

First 1234 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I like chickpeas, I find that they fill me up really well (half a can or so plus some leafy greens and tomatoes + vinaigrette is quick, tasty, healthy and somehow manages to be filling. it amazes me. it's for lunch today, actually).

And lentils, with lots of spices (maybe not much protein in them, though?). And I made quinoa once and it was pretty delicious, though it took a while. And eggs/yogurt/cheese/milk, but especially eggs. Eggs are awesome. You can scramble them and mix them into stirfry if you don't like full-on egg flavour.

I think nuts are ok though, unless you're eating more than a handful (or two, even) at once. Fat isn't a bad thing until you get to excessive quantities. You also don't have to have protein with every snack, although for meals I try to have some if it's not too much trouble.

edit: plain yogurt could be packed into little (secure!) containers, if you have suitably sized ones (I'm assuming you probably do). I should try that, actually. I bought some mini-yogurts and I've found that they're so sugary that they're unpleasant to eat, since I'm used to the plain sutff. blegh.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Good ideas. I eat quinoa at most meals instead of rice or spaghetti and it's great. It takes less time than rice to cook and is good as a filler in meat loaf or hamburgers or veggieburgers, is tasty with fish and vegetables, and is especially good if you cook it with low sodium broth and several big shots of lemon juice.

What I'd like most is to find some kind of protein for snacks specifically. With meals, I usually take time to pack or make them. Snacks are something that I'd like to be able to take in hand and that don't involve a lot of work or tupperware.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I have a protein smoothie for breakfast every morning. I just use frozen fruit, V8 fruit juice, and this powder:

Those powders come in vanilla, banana, strawberry, chocolate, etc... And you really can't tell they're in the smoothie at all. I don't ever have time to make them in the morning, so I got cups with lids and make them the night before, stick them in the fridge, then grab one in the morning. As long as you don't get a high-calorie fruit juice to make them, they're very healthy.

And consuming that much protein with very little carbs in the morning apparently kick-starts your metabolism and helps burn off calories the rest of the day. (Or so my healthy-people sources tell me.)
    That looks like a great idea. Does anyone know a protein substitute for someone who is milk allergic?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ISTx

^Soy protein.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I cottage cheese!...
    Mmmmmm, me too! I am trying to do more stuff with lentils as well. I don't eat a lot of meat, nuts and peanut butter have too many calories... beans are good though, and I loooove hummus! Low in calories, high in protein, and yummy.

My problem is that no matter what I do, I can't seem to get enough potassium. Iron is a challenge too. I have to eat like 2 bananas and a whole can of spinach every day. I like bananas and spinach, but that's toooo much!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I love hummus too, but it tends to be salty. I have the same problems with protein that you mentioned Aquerelle. I don't mind beans at all, but I think it's good to try to have a balance of different proteins.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    ^Soy protein.
    What about people who are also allergic to soy? (A lot of milk allergies include the proteins also in soy.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ISTx

Beans, meat, nuts or your SOL.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

You can make your own hummus and control the salt that way. There are lots of recipes on the internet.

Regarding nuts, almonds are lower in fat. And there's always sunflower seeds ...
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t043600.asp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I love hummus too, but it tends to be salty. I have the same problems with protein that you mentioned Aquerelle. I don't mind beans at all, but I think it's good to try to have a balance of different proteins.
    Yeah, I need to be more careful about my sodium intake. I never add salt to anything, so I didn't think I consumed that much sodium, until I started tracking it.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/