• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Protein suggestions

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like chickpeas, I find that they fill me up really well (half a can or so plus some leafy greens and tomatoes + vinaigrette is quick, tasty, healthy and somehow manages to be filling. it amazes me. it's for lunch today, actually).

And lentils, with lots of spices (maybe not much protein in them, though?). And I made quinoa once and it was pretty delicious, though it took a while. And eggs/yogurt/cheese/milk, but especially eggs. Eggs are awesome. You can scramble them and mix them into stirfry if you don't like full-on egg flavour.

I think nuts are ok though, unless you're eating more than a handful (or two, even) at once. Fat isn't a bad thing until you get to excessive quantities. You also don't have to have protein with every snack, although for meals I try to have some if it's not too much trouble.

edit: plain yogurt could be packed into little (secure!) containers, if you have suitably sized ones (I'm assuming you probably do). I should try that, actually. I bought some mini-yogurts and I've found that they're so sugary that they're unpleasant to eat, since I'm used to the plain sutff. blegh.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Good ideas. I eat quinoa at most meals instead of rice or spaghetti and it's great. It takes less time than rice to cook and is good as a filler in meat loaf or hamburgers or veggieburgers, is tasty with fish and vegetables, and is especially good if you cook it with low sodium broth and several big shots of lemon juice.

What I'd like most is to find some kind of protein for snacks specifically. With meals, I usually take time to pack or make them. Snacks are something that I'd like to be able to take in hand and that don't involve a lot of work or tupperware.

Usehername

On a mission
I have a protein smoothie for breakfast every morning. I just use frozen fruit, V8 fruit juice, and this powder:
85827884_640.jpg

Those powders come in vanilla, banana, strawberry, chocolate, etc... And you really can't tell they're in the smoothie at all. I don't ever have time to make them in the morning, so I got cups with lids and make them the night before, stick them in the fridge, then grab one in the morning. As long as you don't get a high-calorie fruit juice to make them, they're very healthy.

And consuming that much protein with very little carbs in the morning apparently kick-starts your metabolism and helps burn off calories the rest of the day. (Or so my healthy-people sources tell me.)

That looks like a great idea. Does anyone know a protein substitute for someone who is milk allergic?

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I :heart: cottage cheese!...

Mmmmmm, me too! I am trying to do more stuff with lentils as well. I don't eat a lot of meat, nuts and peanut butter have too many calories... beans are good though, and I loooove hummus! Low in calories, high in protein, and yummy.

My problem is that no matter what I do, I can't seem to get enough potassium. Iron is a challenge too. I have to eat like 2 bananas and a whole can of spinach every day. I like bananas and spinach, but that's toooo much!

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I love hummus too, but it tends to be salty. I have the same problems with protein that you mentioned Aquerelle. I don't mind beans at all, but I think it's good to try to have a balance of different proteins.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I love hummus too, but it tends to be salty. I have the same problems with protein that you mentioned Aquerelle. I don't mind beans at all, but I think it's good to try to have a balance of different proteins.

Yeah, I need to be more careful about my sodium intake. I never add salt to anything, so I didn't think I consumed that much sodium, until I started tracking it.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I guess as a plant-eating dinosaur, Falcarius should know about non-meat protein sources....