User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Default Anyone use a meal delivery service?

Even 2 years ago when I looked, there were only a handful of such services. Now there are at least 25 nationwide and I'm guessing a lot more that just serve certain metro areas, especially diet conscious Southern CA.

I was wondering if anyone had tried such a service that specialized in diet foods or knew someone how had? Was the food fresh? Tasty?

Some of the meal delivery services don't seem to be so much about diet needs or nutrition and just about good food and/or convenience, which is nice, but I want something that will help me lose weight (my weight is creeping back up again) and ideally regulate my blood sugar.

On a side note, there are Vietnamese sammich (that's sandwich for you proper folks) shops that can deliver daily meals to you in my area. But dang, they're Vietnamese sammmiches, they only cost $1-$2 a pop to begin with and frankly a daily diet consisting solely of cold sandwiches and maybe spring rolls regardless of how tasty they are isn't what I'm looking for.

If I do a trial delivery I'll post what the food is like.

BTW, I hate pre-canned food, I don't do microwave meals and I still have a very bad taste from The Zone meals I ordered.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Even 2 years ago when I looked, there were only a handful of such services. Now there are at least 25 nationwide and I'm guessing a lot more that just serve certain metro areas, especially diet conscious Southern CA.

I was wondering if anyone had tried such a service that specialized in diet foods or knew someone how had? Was the food fresh? Tasty?

Some of the meal delivery services don't seem to be so much about diet needs or nutrition and just about good food and/or convenience, which is nice, but I want something that will help me lose weight (my weight is creeping back up again) and ideally regulate my blood sugar.

On a side note, there are Vietnamese sammich (that's sandwich for you proper folks) shops that can deliver daily meals to you in my area. But dang, they're Vietnamese sammmiches, they only cost $1-$2 a pop to begin with and frankly a daily diet consisting solely of cold sandwiches and maybe spring rolls regardless of how tasty they are isn't what I'm looking for.

If I do a trial delivery I'll post what the food is like.

BTW, I hate pre-canned food, I don't do microwave meals and I still have a very bad taste from The Zone meals I ordered.
    I often go to meal assembly store's where you mix your own meals at stations, but other than Medifast I haven't had food delivered to our home.

I was looking for a place like this for some local friends last week who are vegans and found this place.

I know you don't like microwave meals, but I've been eating Lean Cuisine and Weight Watchers frozen meals mostly for lunch everyday and their quite good! Some of my favorite LC's are Gourmet Mushroom Pizza, Chicken Spinach and Mushroom Pannini, Asian-Style Beef with Ginger and Soy, etc.

Good luck and let us know what you find!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Does Pizza Hut count?

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Does Pizza Hut count?

Only if that's your sole provider of meals for a week at a time and your goal is to gain weight and cholesterol levels.

Silently, I hope for your sake that you're not trying to pull a "Supersize Me".

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Silently, I hope for your sake that you're not trying to pull a "Supersize Me".
    That's ridiculous CzeCze, I'm in the best shape of my life.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I often go to meal assembly store's where you mix your own meals at stations

where do you find places like this? that sounds very interesting.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    where do you find places like this? that sounds very interesting.
    Google "meal assembly store" in your city. Here's a good article describing what it's all about.

I like it as long as the menu for the month is decent and imo for a smallish family it's affordable and great way to serve up a nice dinner.

You can also take all the credit because technically you did make it!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTP

I used to use one in Sydney from time to time called Eat Fit Food.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner were delivered to me every day. It was delicious, so so so easy and not too expensive.

I only stopped when I moved offices and their delivery schedule didn't account for the new location.

ETA - I just checked out the prices on their website - it's certainly gone up since I last used it.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Pic that makes me go
    For you Silently --

And I just ordered my first week of meals diet to go I was considering BistroMD and ediets first, but I read reviews that turned me off and this is the company that was in DC when I lived there. Funny that it's still "local" after I moved so I figured why not save money on s/h, as the other places just FedEx you the food. Supposedly this place has some of the freshest, tastiest food. And I chose the vegetarian meal plan just in case -- aside from fear of salmonella, when I think prepackaged, precooked meat I think airline food. Yuck.

We shall see!

And Dansker, that's too bad about the prices coming up. It's surprising just how many food delivery service there are (especially in metro areas, but particular in southern ca. LA and Orange County have TONS of local diet delivery companies) and I think they are competing now to make niches for themselves with diet affiliations, raw/organic foods, gourmet, cuisine type and pricing themselves accordingly. The prices can be anywhere from $9-$35 US dollars a day for the services.

Thumbs up Four Meal Services Compared

I just put in a personal shopping request to find the best meal delivery service at Find My Bargains and they came up with an answer. They compared 4 services - one being Diet to Go and Dine Wise is another.

I was given a free take home meal from Diet to Go at a local gym in Philadelphia and found the food to be quite good. Even items that I didn't think I would like - were surprisingly good. The veggies were crisp and fresh and not over cooked. The entree was tasty but not overly salty. They give you all of the nutrition info and keep you in a healthy calorie, fat and salt range. They also showed me a book of testimonies from people who have used the service to lose weight. I think I may sign up for a 5 night dinner plan as I have trouble making healthy meals during the week.