First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    It has a lot to do with control of the vocal cords. Imagine a balloon filled with air, but you're pinching it closed. If you just open end a very little bit, it generates a huge amount of noise with very little air passing through. If you open it more, such that the air passes more freely, the sounds gets quieter. Quiet people tend to have more "breathy" voices and use more air to speak.

Another factor is frequency. Higher frequencies are usually more audible than lower ones. E.g., raising pitch can often make one more easily heard than raising volume, especially if one is in a loud environment.
    Interesting points.

Metaphor, though I think you mean indoor/outdoor, inside/outside as pertaining to percentage of physical expressiveness v. internal thought speech could also be a valid explanation, one I'd also personally vouch for.

thinking of you

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

my sis is an introvert who has a voice that carries like no other... I'm an extrovert who's always getting told to speak up

I remember one time when we were on vacation my sis and I stayed upstairs in a townhouse and my parents were downstairs... we were chatting quietly in our room upstairs and our parents kept telling my sis to be quiet... she really wasn't talking loudly at all, it's just that her voice carries really, really well

on an interesting note, I've noticed that by speaking quietly I can control a conversation much better than by speaking loudly... people have to be quiet and listen to me when I speak, therefore I'm in control of things
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

candylandjoe, using indoor and outdoor would be the more explicit terms of what I had intended so there was nothing deeper than what most mothers say to their loud and boisterous children. It's more polite than saying "shut up".

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

If we're going to assume that the majority of mothers use "inside/outside" to some degree, isn't it also fair to assume that most people assign "indoors/outdoors" exclusively to the state of being in or out of a building, in this case a house, presumably all or most of which have doors? Where do you want this thread to go?

thinking of you

In the direction that shiraz will take me which isn't very far.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I tend to be soft spoken, and I relate it to shyness. In classrooms & in public places I tend to be too quiet, so I have to repeat myself & then everyone gets quiet to hear me. However, if I am not feeling shy & am somewhat excited, then I can be a little loud, but still within the realm of normal.

Most of my female family members are LOUD, but the men have quiet voices. My ISFJ mom is the kind who screams in your ear......I hate when she's next to me in a car; we're in an enclosed space - no need to shout!
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    While others are loud as f@#k!

Eg. When I worked at a mail center once you could hear this freak of nature of a man from the other side of the room, what I thought was screaming, talking. It was so annoying I wanted to stick a rifle up his ass. Work people said, oh that's just normal, he's always like that. I would understand if he had hearing aid, you know half deaf. But no's this guy you could practically hear everything he said a mile away.

Is it medical or just learned behavior to be softly or loudly spoken?

Because quite frankly I used to be softly spoken too, ah well, I still am by particle degrees. Especially when I get that stoned look on my face and I just haven't got the energy to say diddly.

Experiences.
    your posts are hilarious!

um...i think i'm pretty soft spoken most of the time. i think i'm just a lazy speaker or think out loud too much that i don't really care if the other person hears me or maybe i just hate it when people talk loud so i made sure never to be "that person" idk wtf it is sometimes i talk normal style but very often with people close to me i talk in some weird muted rambly mumbly style and i really have no idea why and don't even realize it till they point it out.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    While others are loud as f@#k!
    HOW DARE YOU!

SOME OF US HAVE VOICE IMMODULATION SYNDROME.

IMAGINE BEING AT A HIGH SCHOOL DANCE AND SINGING ALONG WITH EVERYONE ELSE:

"AND A LITTLE BIT SOFTER NOW, AND A LITTLE BIT SOFTER NOW, AND A LITTLE BIT SOFTER NOW!"

http://vimeo.com/1913104
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ i see your immodulation issues carry over into your typing

i'm a fairly soft-spoken person, usually. sometimes i get a little loud when i'm with people i know very well, or after alcohol. lol!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    I am naturally soft-spoken. I always were rather quiet, and sometimes people tell me to speak up which I find annoying for some reason (though I at least know then that they try to listen to what I say). I don't know why some people are more loud and some more quiet.

Maybe I am drifting away a bit from what you mean, but I also noticed when it comes to phone conversations that some people suddenly speak unreasonable loud when they are on phone. Especially my father starts to nearly yell at the phone which is annoying. I just speak normal and people don't have a problem to understand me on phone, so what for yelling into it, as if they had to yell to the person adequately to the "real" distance?
    I couldn't have described myself (or my father) any better.