User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I would assume, though, that he wouldn't yell if he wasn't an extrovert. Do anyone know introverts that yell constantly? Or extroverts who mumble?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Enlarged adenoids can become nearly the size of a ping pong ball and completely block airflow through the nasal passages. Even if enlarged adenoids are not substantial enough to physically block the back of the nose, they can obstruct airflow enough so that breathing through the nose requires an uncomfortable amount of work, and inhalation occurs instead through an open mouth. Adenoids can also obstruct the nasal airway enough to affect the voice without actually stopping nasal airflow altogether.

Nasal blockage is determined by at least two factors: 1) the size of the adenoids, and 2) the size of the nasal pharynx passageway. The adenoid usually reaches its greatest size by about age 5 years or so, and then fades away ("atrophies") by late childhood - generally by the age of 7 years. The lymphoid tissue remains under the mucosa of the nasopharynx, and could be seen under a microscope if the area was biopsied, but the mass is so reduced in size that the roof of the nasopharynx becomes flat rather than mounded. Just as the size of the adenoids is variable between individuals, so is the age at which adenoids atrophy.

The adenoids, like all lymphoid tissue, enlarge when infected. Although lymphoid tissue does act to fight infection, sometimes bacteria and viruses can lodge within it and survive. Chronic infection, either viral or bacterial, can keep the pad of adenoids enlarged for years, even into adulthood. Some viruses, such as the Epstein-Barr Virus, can cause dramatic enlargement of lymphoid tissue. Primary or reactivation infections with Epstein Barr Virus, and certain other bacteria and viruses, can even cause enlargement of the adenoidal pad in an adult whose adenoids had previously become atrophied.
    Curious

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Have been told I am soft spoken through most of my life. I try and speak up more when the occasion calls for it.

Think I like it in others mostly...a loud barking voice eventually grates on me...especially some dialects.

That being said it drives me a little crazy when I cant hear what someone is telling me. It is usually a failure to annunciate rather than simply being softly spoken though.

If I get married would prefer it to be to a soft spoken woman who speaks with clarity or otherwise a woman with a pleasing voice in general (as far as mate selection this can be almost as important as looks/intellegence to me)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Why are some people softly spoken?
    Because their mommas taught them the difference between an inside and outside voice!

MBTI
    INTP

I just don't have a naturally loud voice. I learned to project when I was doing theatre, and I speak decently loudly in the classroom. I wish my voice was naturally louder, especially for singing purposes. I sing in a band, and our other singer is as loud as an electric guitar. I get drowned out very easily. It's annoying.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

It has a lot to do with control of the vocal cords. Imagine a balloon filled with air, but you're pinching it closed. If you just open end a very little bit, it generates a huge amount of noise with very little air passing through. If you open it more, such that the air passes more freely, the sounds gets quieter. Quiet people tend to have more "breathy" voices and use more air to speak.

Another factor is frequency. Higher frequencies are usually more audible than lower ones. E.g., raising pitch can often make one more easily heard than raising volume, especially if one is in a loud environment.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Epiphany

Some people talk louder than others because they think it makes them more dominant or in the case of a debate, makes their viewpoint more valid as opposed to talking in a reasonable tone when all it really does is make them look like an ass. It's a rhetorical tactic.

Take Chris Matthews for example. I'm not talking about his political views, but the tone in which he debates them.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsy3g9rvcj0"]He's loud therefore he must be right[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Yeah he thinks by raising his voice he makes his softballs hard.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

I don't know why. Maybe its related to shyness, which I tend to see as being at least partially inborn. I've been soft spoken in life, and I think in more ways than just volume. I think it was an unkind decision when one of my schools used me as an instrument to check the volume of microphones in the auditorium. The logic being, that if the quietest girl's voice could be heard in the way back, then the microphone volume was adequate.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I work between two LOUD TALKERS!!!

They're both extroverts too. Thank god for earbuds.