• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how do you dye your hair dark purple?

Lien

i would like to know what you guys do to get your hair dyed. also what sort of bleach you use, or not, particularly if your hair is Asian or very dark brown, but either way the more i'm informed the better.

a hairdresser said i should bleach it to blonde, but can i get away with orange or a darker color?

and i have a bottle of special effects "Deep Purple" hair dye/stain. i haven't used it in many months. maybe a year now, so should i buy a new one?

Lien

also, is anyone familiar with Goldwell Elumen permanent hair dyes, and mixing colors with it? I've been thinkign of buying a VV and BB and mixing them together, since i'm aiming for a Violet-Blue color.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
You'll need to bleach it to a light brown, then dye on top of that. However, with purple you MAY need to bleach all the way to white in order to get a proper colour untainted by red and gold hues in brown hair... With bleach, you hair goes through certain cycles until you eventually end up white. In order not to completely fuck up your hair you'd be best bleaching it slightly over a month (once every 2 weeks or so) until you get it the colour you need to dye. But as I said, you may get away with light brown (I don't know, I've never done purple).

Most people I know recommend the Manic Panic range or the Special Effects (SFX) range of hair dyes. No unnatural hair dye is really "permanent". These ones have excellent staying power, and are perfectly safe to combine.

www.beeunique.co.uk is great for hair dye reviews and has a big gallery so you can see what different dyes turn out like on different hair types. www.hairdyeforum.com will get you better answers for your questions than here too.

Edit: Here's the gallery for purple hair. It tells you underneath each photo which brand and colour was used, and sometimes what condition the hair was in pre-dying.

Good luck!

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
Some brand suggestions: L'oreal Paris/Feria has tons of different shades of dark purple if you want something in a box to do from home. I've used a few over my time, thing is that any of their collection starts to fade fairly quick so make sure you have some kind of colour stay shampoo to help with that. If you're going to do the bleach way for mega vibrancy check out some Manic Panic in the Purple Haze shade. Good luck! :)

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I use Manic Panic's bleach and hair dye whenever I dye my hair.

Leave it in until it is bleach blonde to have a really intense, candy purple color. It can be darker, but sometimes the color comes out uneven, and sucks. My hair is really, really dark, so I have to leave it in awhile.

Also, if you blow dry your hair when you dye it, it makes the color more intense.

Lien

No unnatural hair dye is really "permanent".

that is what hairdressers tell us. there are a few permanent hair dyes for unnatural colors.

Goldwell Elumen is one. i have been looking into it, since the damage it does is either little to none.

it can be permanent, but it can also be non-permanent. the reds are particularly permanent. makes me think of the title of a book i read once, "Permanent Rose." it actually works better for damaged hair, and also if you apply heat.

Last edited:

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Even the brands labeled "permanent" aren't truly permanent. They may be longer lasting (say, 6 or 8 weeks) but not properly permanent. It's a lie :tongue:. Dyes used on unbleached hair don't last nearly as long as those used on bleached hair. It all has to do with how porous your hair is.

Bleaching isn't so bad, but you'd definitely want to get a friend to help, and err on the side of caution. I'm lucky in that my hair is a fairly light colour already (auburn), so it didn't need much bleaching to get it yellow enough for orange dye. Asian hair would be extremely difficult to do alone I imagine... Maybe go to the hair dressers to get the bleaching done?

I also just noticed your question about the special effects dye... It should be fine to use after a year. Just shake it well and work away.

Lien

Even the brands labeled "permanent" aren't truly permanent. They may be longer lasting (say, 6 or 8 weeks) but not properly permanent. It's a lie :tongue:. Dyes used on unbleached hair don't last nearly as long as those used on bleached hair. It all has to do with how porous your hair is.

i guess i should say it is more like a semi-permanent color, that lasts like a permanent color.

it's very interesting, you can actually remove the color with their Elumen 'Return'. i found about this all online, but i can't seem to find as much information about mixing the colors..

Last edited: