User Tag List

12 Last

Default how do you dye your hair dark purple?

i would like to know what you guys do to get your hair dyed. also what sort of bleach you use, or not, particularly if your hair is Asian or very dark brown, but either way the more i'm informed the better.

a hairdresser said i should bleach it to blonde, but can i get away with orange or a darker color?

and i have a bottle of special effects "Deep Purple" hair dye/stain. i haven't used it in many months. maybe a year now, so should i buy a new one?

also, is anyone familiar with Goldwell Elumen permanent hair dyes, and mixing colors with it? I've been thinkign of buying a VV and BB and mixing them together, since i'm aiming for a Violet-Blue color.

MBTI
    INTP

You'll need to bleach it to a light brown, then dye on top of that. However, with purple you MAY need to bleach all the way to white in order to get a proper colour untainted by red and gold hues in brown hair... With bleach, you hair goes through certain cycles until you eventually end up white. In order not to completely fuck up your hair you'd be best bleaching it slightly over a month (once every 2 weeks or so) until you get it the colour you need to dye. But as I said, you may get away with light brown (I don't know, I've never done purple).

Most people I know recommend the Manic Panic range or the Special Effects (SFX) range of hair dyes. No unnatural hair dye is really "permanent". These ones have excellent staying power, and are perfectly safe to combine.

www.beeunique.co.uk is great for hair dye reviews and has a big gallery so you can see what different dyes turn out like on different hair types. www.hairdyeforum.com will get you better answers for your questions than here too.

Edit: Here's the gallery for purple hair. It tells you underneath each photo which brand and colour was used, and sometimes what condition the hair was in pre-dying.

Good luck!
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

Some brand suggestions: L'oreal Paris/Feria has tons of different shades of dark purple if you want something in a box to do from home. I've used a few over my time, thing is that any of their collection starts to fade fairly quick so make sure you have some kind of colour stay shampoo to help with that. If you're going to do the bleach way for mega vibrancy check out some Manic Panic in the Purple Haze shade. Good luck!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

I use Manic Panic's bleach and hair dye whenever I dye my hair.

Leave it in until it is bleach blonde to have a really intense, candy purple color. It can be darker, but sometimes the color comes out uneven, and sucks. My hair is really, really dark, so I have to leave it in awhile.

Also, if you blow dry your hair when you dye it, it makes the color more intense.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    No unnatural hair dye is really "permanent".
    that is what hairdressers tell us. there are a few permanent hair dyes for unnatural colors.

Goldwell Elumen is one. i have been looking into it, since the damage it does is either little to none.

it can be permanent, but it can also be non-permanent. the reds are particularly permanent. makes me think of the title of a book i read once, "Permanent Rose." it actually works better for damaged hair, and also if you apply heat.
    Last edited by Lien; 01-19-2011 at 07:03 AM.
    that fate will balance the scales of history.. is all that i desire..

MBTI
    INTP

Even the brands labeled "permanent" aren't truly permanent. They may be longer lasting (say, 6 or 8 weeks) but not properly permanent. It's a lie . Dyes used on unbleached hair don't last nearly as long as those used on bleached hair. It all has to do with how porous your hair is.

Bleaching isn't so bad, but you'd definitely want to get a friend to help, and err on the side of caution. I'm lucky in that my hair is a fairly light colour already (auburn), so it didn't need much bleaching to get it yellow enough for orange dye. Asian hair would be extremely difficult to do alone I imagine... Maybe go to the hair dressers to get the bleaching done?

I also just noticed your question about the special effects dye... It should be fine to use after a year. Just shake it well and work away.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    Even the brands labeled "permanent" aren't truly permanent. They may be longer lasting (say, 6 or 8 weeks) but not properly permanent. It's a lie . Dyes used on unbleached hair don't last nearly as long as those used on bleached hair. It all has to do with how porous your hair is.
    i guess i should say it is more like a semi-permanent color, that lasts like a permanent color.

it's very interesting, you can actually remove the color with their Elumen 'Return'. i found about this all online, but i can't seem to find as much information about mixing the colors..
    Last edited by Lien; 01-19-2011 at 07:02 AM.
    that fate will balance the scales of history.. is all that i desire..

You just do.

You are what you love themightyfetus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    ESE Si

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    You just do.
    Lol this thread is like 5 years old! Does it apply anymore? :P
    Yet I know, if I stepped aside