User Tag List

123 Last

Default Anyone a low-carber?

I feel SO MUCH better when I low-carb. I also lose weight without as much hunger when I'm following it religiously. But it's just hard to stick with because it's not as convenient as just grabbing something. But I guess that's laziness on my part because I could make some things ahead of time. I know it's controversial, but I believe in the research that supports it.

I was going to start Atkins today but I ate some leftover Hershey kisses so I guess I'll start tomorrow.

MBTI
    INTP

You don't need to lose weight.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I tried the whole low carb thing with Medifast and I felt horrible. I was cranky and SO hungry! Dinner was the best part. Salad with carb free dressing and steak or chicken. Also since I work out so much it was very draining not to have any food to keep me moving.

Watching your fat and calorie intake along with exercising is a better plan imo.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

You don't need to lose weight.
    Aw, thanks Mort, but I'm a good 30 pounds overweight. I just hide it well (photocropping)

Well, no wonder you didn't do well Jen - that Medifast plan is extreme! I'm just trying to eat lots of veggies, lean meats and stay away from sugar. Grains and fruits are Ok but I like to limit them. My blood sugar has been creeping up over the years and doc said no more than 40% of my daily intake from carbs.

Tried Weight Watchers last year and failed miserable. Just can't deal with all the "accounting." Don't wan't to have to do math when I eat.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Wow, 40% is a fair bit for carbs, isn't it? Although I don't actually know how much calories are in something like potatoes or rice, I just go by portion size...so maybe it's deceiving. I try to go 1/2 plate veggies, 1/6-1/4 plate meat, 1/3-1/4 plate carbs. Ideally, of course...in reality it isn't often like that. But that seems like the most reasonable strategy for me, anyway.

/knows nothing about losing weight, only healthyish eating

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

i don't necessarily do the low carb thing, but i do watch my carbs, i don't like to consume ridiculous amounts of them. I'd say i'm on a regular carb diet.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    GONE

I don't really understand the low carb thing or many other diets with fixed ratios for food. Too much reading makes me go and if I have to think about it that much, I'll end up not doing it.

I tried low-carb when Atkins first hit. I ordered the 2 week start kit. DIS-GUS-TING. The food consisted of microwaveable mush in varying shades of brown with specks of orange that passed for veggies. And powdered shakes.

I am firmly anti-powdered shake for diets.

There is a cook on the Fitness channel who specializes in low-carb cooking. Uses a lot of Splenda and grills a lot of meat and serves with a simple salad. I could do that.

On top of being puzzled by ratios, I'm lazy when it comes to eating out. I'd be interested in using a meal delivery service and I noticed most have 'low carb' options.

I think TJ's/SJ's probably have the best chance for success on a diet, especially ones that include a lot of rules on food combining. I think personality type and diet fit and success are definitely related.

Wow, 40% is a fair bit for carbs, isn't it?
    Yes, Atkins recommends less in the weight-loss phase (as a percentage of calories - not total volume of food!). But under this plan(and many other low-carb plans) vegetables are counted as carbs, so it's not just starches. Most low-carb experts (like the low-fat advocates) want us to move towards eating more vegetables. Low-carbing is mostly about removing REFINED starches.

I tried low-carb when Atkins first hit. I ordered the 2 week start kit. DIS-GUS-TING. The food consisted of microwaveable mush in varying shades of brown with specks of orange that passed for veggies. And powdered shakes.
    Are you sure it wasn't Nutrisystem or Jenny Craig?

If not, I don't know what this is all about since none of these things are allowed on the Atkins plan as spelled out by Dr. Atkins himself. No processed foods, no shakes etc. Well, it's probably due to the fact that after his death, the company was sold and the new group has added some of this low-carb junk which completely goes against his philosophy. Very sad.

I think TJ's/SJ's probably have the best chance for success on a diet, especially ones that include a lot of rules on food combining. I think personality type and diet fit and success are definitely related.
    This is so true! I have no discipline at all when it comes to staying on a program. I want immediate results but I don't have the patience or whatever it is trait that helps you stay on a diet plan. Probably a J thing I agree.

I have an idea - how about I write a book called "Dieting - the MBTI Way - the new plan that is customized to your personality - success is guaranteed since it's based on science. One size does not fit all!"

MBTI
    INFP

I am not a good dieter. I had tried Atkins for 3 days and I got tired of eating steak, cheese, and eggs. I wanted some bread, and I hated that I couldn't have it! No, low carbs is a good idea, but portion control works the best for me.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

I've been on plan since this morning but I'm not thinking of doing a less radical lowish-carb plan rather than this one. It's been less than a day and I'm already struggling.