• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone a low-carber?

alicia91

used to be 60lb heavier than I am now, so I had to be very careful when I stopped my weight loss programme. Which was done by eating about 2-300 calories less than recommended daily, plus exercise.

Wow that's impressive! Congratulations!

do you have any sort of exercise routine?

Unfortunately I've been inconsistent which it shouldn't be since I really like to exercise - but it's usually a time issue. But I've concluded that my health needs to be a priority. Anyhow, I enjoy Tae Bo, step-aerobics, workouts by The Firm, walking (but only with a friend), yoga and pilates. I'm currently eyeing the Turbo-Jam workouts - kind of a kickboxing and dance combo. I'm a klutz, but at least it's done in the privacy of your own home.

Well, I'm not a low-carber.. but since I finally graduated from college, I'm setting myself up for the benefits of a healthy diet. I'm going to be making use of the delivery option from alot of these large grocery stores, and then information from online recipe sites, online healthy food sites, and online grocery list sites. What I'm going to do this week is plan a string of meals for the next year or two, then see the basic ingredients common to all of them (that are non-perishable), then order those ingredients in bulk for to-my-door delivery. When I order the basics, I'll also tack on the foods I need for the next month, and go from there.

Good for you MySavior! Sounds like you have a great plan.

There are so many health advantages to eating low-glycemic including many types of cancer so, if I were you, I would have my blood sugars checked.

Supposed to go back for a recheck in a few weeks.

Pizza - I love pizza! But it's not on my plan, maybe down the road if I make a whole-wheat crust. For now I do a pizza-like thing on a portabella mushroom cap - it's good, but it's not the real thing.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Pizza - I love pizza! But it's not on my plan, maybe down the road if I make a whole-wheat crust. For now I do a pizza-like thing on a portabella mushroom cap - it's good, but it's not the real thing.

I've been meaning to try that, but as you say, it's not the real deal. Could you use something like almond meal to make a low-carb crust?

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've been meaning to try that, but as you say, it's not the real deal. Could you use something like almond meal to make a low-carb crust?

I do.. that with coconut "flour" but for convenience I prefer the low carb tortillas as I always have those in the freezer.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I've been doing more research into low carb vs. the traditional low fat (but higher carb) diets that are the backbone of dr. recommended dieting.

Then I went out to eat and they gave me a breadbasket. I ate lots of deliciously warm and crusty bread (with real butter) and several slices of pumpkin bread which is basically cake. 2 hours later, I'm so sleepy, I think I'm having a kanack attack But I guess since I didn't fall asleep right away, it's not so bad right?

I still don't quite get the whole blood sugar/insulin regulation thing with food and how low-carbing or low glycemic index food helps. I thought people used to tell you to load up on starchy foods and foods like potatoes to 'fill up' and feel full. Now I read that starchy foods make your blood sugar levels plummet, making you ravenous within a few hours.

It is fascinating, but I am also quite confus-ed.

If I do try out a meal delivery service, I'll try low-carb for a few weeks and then try the traditional low-fat and see how I respond.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've been doing more research into low carb vs. the traditional low fat (but higher carb) diets that are the backbone of dr. recommended dieting.

Then I went out to eat and they gave me a breadbasket. I ate lots of deliciously warm and crusty bread (with real butter) and several slices of pumpkin bread which is basically cake. 2 hours later, I'm so sleepy, I think I'm having a kanack attack But I guess since I didn't fall asleep right away, it's not so bad right?

I still don't quite get the whole blood sugar/insulin regulation thing with food and how low-carbing or low glycemic index food helps. I thought people used to tell you to load up on starchy foods and foods like potatoes to 'fill up' and feel full. Now I read that starchy foods make your blood sugar levels plummet, making you ravenous within a few hours.

It is fascinating, but I am also quite confus-ed.

If I do try out a meal delivery service, I'll try low-carb for a few weeks and then try the traditional low-fat and see how I respond.

I thought that the complex carbs tended to give long term energy, while the simple carbs tended to just give you a spike. I could be talking out of my ass, though...since I didn't actually look that up.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I thought that the complex carbs tended to give long term energy, while the simple carbs tended to just give you a spike. I could be talking out of my ass, though...since I didn't actually look that up.

you are correct.complex carbohydrates take longer to absorb so the slow absorption provides a steady supply of energy and limits the amount of sugar converted to fat, at least from what i know.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm from Europe so I don't measure stuff the old style with pounds etc.
Anyway, two years ago I was weighing in at 125 kilos, according to the measurements converter, that is 275 lbs. Well I was not a body builder or anything, I had a lot of beer gut, but I was actually more like gorilla built.

Now I weigh 95 kilos (209 lbs), lost 30 kilos (66 lbs) due to eating less carbohydrates, it really works, if you do it over time and have some form of self-discipline about it.

I don't know if it's the only way or if it's the best way, but it's the easiest for me, because I still get to eat steak and stuff, as long as I skip most things potatoe, rice and so on and just eat like 7-8 inches of a baguette along with the meat.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I have tried for a short while due to the fact that it tends to be publicized as a means to improve concentration. My conclusion was that it's completely incompatible with my 15 hours of sports a week.

Probably some people find it difficult, but I have found that it's far better to eat a lot, and exercise a lot rather than eat less and exercise less. Obviously the two situations generally lead to the same net caloric balance, however body composition tends to be much better in the former case rather than the latter.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^^

I actually agree with you on this once you get the momentum going. But it does take a lot of persistence if you aren't a naturally outdoorsy person or have a lot of active friends.

Another thing, it's official. Carbs (the evil wheat flour pastry kind) bring on kanak attack. I had a hippie cinnamon bun and I'm ready for bed now. I guess I won't eat them for breakfast like I had originally planned. *yawn*

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Whole Wheat Pitas make pretty good pizza crust.

IMG_6476.jpg

I made this one with a whole wheat pita, low fat mozzarella, a low calorie pizza sauce and turkey pepperoni. Oh and jalepenos, because i like my food to be as spicy as possible.

The whole pizza had under 300 calories and less than 6 grams of fat.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^^ Nice! A lot of the lunches I was getting on the veggie meal delivery were basically pita pizza. They were very tasty and low calorie. Also, eating spicy food is a tip to keep your caloric intake down and speed up your metabolism. This is good news for me b/c I like very spicy food.

I just wanted to add Alicia, there may be something to low carb!

I switched from my veggie diet to low carb, and I've lost 2 pounds on the scale in less than a week. I've added minimal excercise (bought a pedometer, went to the dog park with my brother's dog the other day) but nothing major so I think the low-carb diet really contributed.

Perhaps it's not that low-carb helped me lose weight, but rather the wheat/carb heavy veggie plan I was on really encouraged weight gain/retention. I ate a lot more carbs than I normally do (a lot more bread and grains like quinoa, couscous) and I felt heavy?

Every metabolism is different so I guess mine just responds better to low carb. Good to know!