User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Ivy - have you ever looked at the South Beach Diet? It's heavily vegetable-based with lean meats, good fats, no sugar, low-fat dairy, nuts and low-glycemic fruits.

I've decided to give the Schwarzbein plan another go rather than Atkins. It's just easier for my livestyle. So today I'm having:

Breakfast - mix of plain yogurt, cottage cheese (1/4 c) and blueberries, hard boiled egg

Lunch - large salad with grilled chicken (4 oz), oil and vinegar dressing, 2 rye vasa crisp bread with scrape of butter

Snack - 2 celery sticks with almond butter

Dinner - stuffed green peppers (made with ground beef, brown rice, and a little tomato sauce), green salad and asparagus

Snack if needed - Rye crisp with laughing cow cheese

Total carbs (not including non-starchy vegetables) - about 45 grams
    Total calories - about 1500
    It sounds quite a fun daily set of foods, quite edible in fact!

However, 1,500 is kind of low. Do you find you keep weight off at that level? I find I have just undereat a little less than that, otherwise my body thinks I am literally starving and as soon as I eat a bit more again I weight gain far too easily. That sort of level might be hard to sustain once you settle out of it again...

I used to be 60lb heavier than I am now, so I had to be very careful when I stopped my weight loss programme. Which was done by eating about 2-300 calories less than recommended daily, plus exercise.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Sixty pounds! that's awesome, Geoff!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

However, 1,500 is kind of low. Do you find you keep weight off at that level?
    I just edited to 1400. I have a really hard time losing and need less calories than other people - probably due to the fact that I'm over 40, a woman, and only 5'5". I calculated my BMR and took my activity level into account to figure out the formula for losing about 1-2 pounds per week (closer to 1 pound for me). The idea is that when you are at your weight loss target you will increase your calories to a maintenance level.

It sounds quite a fun daily set of foods, quite edible in fact!
    Yes, on Schwarzbein and South Beach you can start eating this way right away, on Atkins you would probably not get to this until after a couple of months. But no buttered bacon (inside joke of low-carbers - non low-carbers often think we eat this way)!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Breakfast - mix of plain yogurt, cottage cheese (1/4 c) and blueberries, hard boiled egg

Lunch - large salad with grilled chicken (4 oz), oil and vinegar dressing, 2 rye vasa crisp bread with scrape of butter

Snack - 2 celery sticks with almond butter

Dinner - stuffed green peppers (made with ground beef, brown rice, and a little tomato sauce), green salad and asparagus

Snack if needed - Rye crisp with laughing cow cheese

Total carbs (not including non-starchy vegetables) - about 45 grams
    Total calories - about 1400
    Wow your snack is just 2 celery sticks with almond butter? that would make me hungry! lol

my typical day is

Breakfast-oatmeal and either an apple, banana or grapefruit
    Snack-Carrots and cucumbers with a little bit of lite ranch dressing. And sometimes a piece of whole wheat toast, with no butter of course.
    Lunch- No-fat refried beans, wrapped in two whole wheat tortillas with salsa
    and a small salad, loaded with veggies with no fat french dressing.
    Snack- 100 calorie packs Kettle Popcorn
    Dinner-Grilled chicken breast with brown rice and some sort of a vegetable.
    Dessert- No-Sugar Jello Double Chocolate pudding (it only has 60 calories. ) )

I also drink a lot of water. I find that when i get a craving for something, drinking a whole bottle of water, or brushing my teeth helps me fight it.
    I usually stay between 1200 and 1500 calories.

Also i have a very easy work out routine that works great for me. I take a 30 minute walk EVERYDAY, if the weather allows.
    I do cardio on a treadmill or an elliptical for 45 minutes 2 times a week and I strength train twice a week.

do you have any sort of exercise routine?
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IT

Well, I'm not a low-carber.. but since I finally graduated from college, I'm setting myself up for the benefits of a healthy diet. I'm going to be making use of the delivery option from alot of these large grocery stores, and then information from online recipe sites, online healthy food sites, and online grocery list sites. What I'm going to do this week is plan a string of meals for the next year or two, then see the basic ingredients common to all of them (that are non-perishable), then order those ingredients in bulk for to-my-door delivery. When I order the basics, I'll also tack on the foods I need for the next month, and go from there.

I'm a big computer geek, so by the time I'm done with this I'm going to have written up a software program that can automatically take in recipe information and price information for the dishes I like (as well as quick-makes), and generate me a list of big items (for delivery), and supplementary items that I can pick up on my way from work. My goal is to not have anything unhealthy in my house while ensuring that what I do have is balanced enough that I can actually stick with it, and ensuring that I won't get lazy to go to the store, and just order some pizza (ARGHHH!).

I've been scrawny all my life, so I'm not doing this to get skinny.. rather I'm doing this as part of my post bulk up solution.

YEA! Feels good to be a nerd, and to be able to say "fuck you" to myself, and my own laziness by eliminating the guesswork of buying food and eating right FOREVER!

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I just edited to 1400. I have a really hard time losing and need less calories than other people - probably due to the fact that I'm over 40, a woman, and only 5'5". I calculated my BMR and took my activity level into account to figure out the formula for losing about 1-2 pounds per week (closer to 1 pound for me). The idea is that when you are at your weight loss target you will increase your calories to a maintenance level.

You're the age and sex when T2 usually starts to, slowly, show up. Your first post said you feel better low-carbing... could be blood sugar swings are decreased then. There are so many health advantages to eating low-glycemic including many types of cancer so, if I were you, I would have my blood sugars checked. So many people don't even know they have a problem.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by mysavior View Post
    My goal is to not have anything unhealthy in my house while ensuring that what I do have is balanced enough that I can actually stick with it, and ensuring that I won't get lazy to go to the store, and just order some pizza (ARGHHH!).

oh man, i absolutely can not turn down a slice of pizza. Pizza is my enemy, and i can't just have one slice, i have to have half a pizza. =( I got really fat working at Domino's Pizza for 2 years.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Pizza is awesome. I have to keep it out of the house as well. It's like a powerhouse of fat, starch, and protein, more of all three than anybody needs. BUT! we order it once in awhile because I am a firm believer in moderation, but the only way I can do moderation with pizza is to pig the F out on it VERY occasionally instead of trying to have just one slice on a regular basis.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

We usually order it once a month now, and i do just eat half the pizza, because i know i can't resist it. we used to order it once a week and when i was pregnant i would just order a whole pizza, and just eat it all. Oh those were the days.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I looove pizza and when first getting my sugars under control I really missed it. Smelling what the rest of the family was eating made me come up with my own which was actually pretty easy since everything (except pineapple if you like that kind) is low-carb anyway. I just sauteed the toppings and put them all on a low-carb (mostly fiber) tortilla sprinkled on cheese and baked it. Yum.