User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    I pretty much agree with you but I'm not so sure about the fresh fruit. I believe that you can get the exact same nutrients and fiber from fresh vegetables with a lot less sugar (and therefore less insulin response). But berries and low-glycemic fruits are fine in moderation (for those that are carb sensitive).

I think Atkins gets a bad rap and many have the mistaken impression that it's all meat and cheese or my personal favorite - buttered bacon
    Well, I'm not sure it's a mistaken impression. I've read the book, and I know about "fat fasts," and Atkins DOES (or did, before he died) talk up the amount of delicious steaks and lobsters you can eat all the time on the plan. Yeah, you're supposed to eat veggies too, but that much meat can't be good for you IMO.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't really watch my diet much, but I feel icky when I eat a lot of carbs without protein to balance them. I hate the weird energy fluctuations and frequent hunger that eating too many carbs and not enough other stuff seems to cause.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    I feel really skeptical about low carb diets. I know a lot of people who have gone on them and had a lot of success, but as soon as they started eating a regular amount of carbs again, they gained the weight back quickly, and sometimes put on even more weight.

I've found that it is very easy to lose weight if you reduce your calorie count. i've lost 20 pounds in 2 months and i did it by eating up to 1500 calories a day, and also reducing my fat grams by a lot. I also switched to only eating whole wheat, or whole grain products when necessary, because they are full of fiber and better for your heart.

Really you can still eat a lot of what you want, as long as you eat it in moderation, and stay on a low fat/low calorie diet.

Also it's impossible to keep weight off unless you exercise. Don't fall for diet fads like the low carb type of things, i don't think they are necessarily good,and if there is a chance that you could gain that weight back very quickly..all your hard work is wasted!

It is ultimately about lifestyle changes and it doesn't make a lot of since to be on a low carb diet for the rest of your life!
    Scantily...I agree w/ nearly everything you wrote.

I don't really agree with any of the 'diets' out there. I tend to think it's about moderation and balance in everything, and also recognizing that it's a *lifestyle change* that should be integrated into your life as a whole, forever. That's why I don't think the fads are good, or restricting certain items are good...because while you can do that for X amount of time, to get the weight off initially, are you really going to want to maintain that for the rest of your life?

Balanced diet + excercise = good.

But more on topic w/ this thread, I think it can be beneficial to limit carb intake, but only in the sense of keeping it in balance w/ everything else you eat, and making sure you're getting more than just carbs. I mean...I still LOVE good bread. Yum. But I've started to eat rice a lot more than pasta, and in general I try to eat as much 'natural' food as possible, and limit a lot of the processed food (boxed mixes, tv dinners, soda..well, actually I don't drink soda at all)...but I also don't like the taste of a lot of that stuff anyway, so it's not like I'm depriving myself!!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I'm probably not a good example because I'm T2 diabetic but my blood sugar and, consequent, weight was out of control until going low glycemic which extremely low carb. But, then again, I may be since I use a monitor and see the effects of carbs instantly on it. Its the same for everyone, diabetic or not. Anytime insulin levels are kept low weight is going to come off as it is the hormone that turns carbs into fat.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

To me it would just make more sense to be on a low fat diet and here is my logic.
    carbohydrates only have 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate and
    Fat has 9 calories per gram of carbohydrate.
    Carbohydrate intake is not fattening, excess calorie intake is fattening. Your are much more likely to take in more calories cutting out carbohydrates than you are fat.
    Of course eating too many carbs, or really too much of anything can be stored as fat.

Carbohydrates are used quickly for energy, you just can't eat a bunch of carbs and sit around on your ass and not expect to gain weight. i think they are quite good to have in your diet, especially if you are trying to make a lifestyle change.

Also my parents were on the Atkins diet for a while, all i EVER saw them eat was greasy bacon, lots of fatty cheeses, butter on everything..it just seems to me like they were clogging their arteries more than anything, while also becoming quite constipated, the lack of fiber in that diet has got to cause some irregular bowel movements.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Fats will provide more energy for the same amount of material, but fats are also more filling, and are processed in the body more slowly, so people seem more likely to snack away on carby foods rather than fatty foods. (Though it does depend on the carbohydrate types.)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

My dad tried that Atkins diet before. He did manage to lose some weight, but it sure seemed like he was trading one problem for another (clogged arteries).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

The only "diet" that I've ever seen that I pretty much liked was Body For Life.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

yeah i know there is supposed to be a higher risk for heart disease if you are on the Atkins diet.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    To me it would just make more sense to be on a low fat diet and here is my logic.
    carbohydrates only have 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate and
    Fat has 9 calories per gram of carbohydrate.
    Carbohydrate intake is not fattening, excess calorie intake is fattening. Your are much more likely to take in more calories cutting out carbohydrates than you are fat.
    Of course eating too many carbs, or really too much of anything can be stored as fat.

Carbohydrates are used quickly for energy, you just can't eat a bunch of carbs and sit around on your ass and not expect to gain weight. i think they are quite good to have in your diet, especially if you are trying to make a lifestyle change.

Also my parents were on the Atkins diet for a while, all i EVER saw them eat was greasy bacon, lots of fatty cheeses, butter on everything..it just seems to me like they were clogging their arteries more than anything, while also becoming quite constipated, the lack of fiber in that diet has got to cause some irregular bowel movements.
    Not all carbs are equal. High glycemic (starchy ones) must be converted to fat by insulin before they can be used. That's where the weight comes from... those "comfort" foods.