User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Medication for anxiety?

Senior Member Array Lily flower's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default Medication for anxiety?

I have been considering taking medication for anxiety, but I am concerned about side effects and the potential of never being able to get off of them.

If you have taken anxiety medications, would you say that it was helpful?

Did it cause more problems than it helped?

If you were to go back in time, would you go on the medication again, or seek alternative methods?

Also, has anyone successfully reduced anxiety through non-drug treatment?

morose bourgeoisie Array
    MBTI
    INFP

I had a script for Zanax when I lived in NYC. I loved it. two of those and an espresso made the world just feel right

But it's very addictive, and you need more and more over time to get the same effect. So I stopped.

Aerobic exercise works. A few hours on the bike chills me out nicely.

Senior Member Array Fan.of.Devin's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

I would highly advise that you not, under any circumstances, take benzodiazepines or derivatives.
    Unless your anxiety literally prevents you from functioning, then it may be worth considering, but still, I dunno.

Like Nebbykoo said, they're very addictive, and the withdrawals will end up making your anxiety 100x worse than it was before you began taking it.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

Peace on Earth, dammit Array Thalassa's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You should ask your doctor about anti-depressants or anti-convulsants if you have severe anxiety. Benzos are a big nono, and I honestly don't think anyone should take them unless it's

A) temporary following a very traumatic situation/event

or

B) you're just totally off your rocker and can't function otherwise
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3

Fasting for Advent

Give Vegan

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Ghost Monkey Soul Array Vizconde's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I like Xanax/Valium(sp) but don't take because of addictive potential except in very short term emergency situations. Also kinda makes you a burn out/slower mind after a while.

Exercise, meditation/hypnosis and vapor couch lock Indica buds while playing Risk on-line works better for longer term applications

I tried Welbutrine once and although it helped me cut down on cigarettes and I lost weight it made me feel even more anxious...even months after I stopped. Now I stay away from antidepressants like the plague.

Doing some simple task oriented volunteer work is relaxing and good for society such as feeding the homeless or caring for abandoned kittens helps too.

It might be seasonal depression from lack of sunlight too. If so try getting more light and SAM-e supplement from health food store
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I had a script for Zanax when I lived in NYC. I loved it. two of those and an espresso made the world just feel right

But it's very addictive, and you need more and more over time to get the same effect. So I stopped.

Aerobic exercise works. A few hours on the bike chills me out nicely.
    Two xanax and an espresso is called "getting high." No wonder you felt "right."

"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3

Fasting for Advent

Give Vegan

SEE-Fi /Gamma

MBTI
    INTP

Xanax worked well for me, but I took very little of it and had other coping methods, such as meditation, cognitive behavior therapy and diet/exercise.

I've recommended this book before, but it really was helpful to me. http://www.amazon.com/Panic-Attack-R...4187722&sr=8-1 You can buy a used copy really cheaply.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh that reminds me, you can talk yourself out of a panic attack if you remind yourself that you are the person in control, not your biochemistry. Think about the logistics of it, how it's nothing more than a chemical reaction.

This worked for me. I like never have panic attacks anymore, but I've also utilized other forms of treatment, like non-benzo medication. I have taken benzos before, but in isolated incidents, not as a regular, every day method of coping.

Fasting for Advent

Give Vegan

SEE-Fi /Gamma

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    Also, has anyone successfully reduced anxiety through non-drug treatment?
    Yes, Cognitive behavioral therapy and sports.

Do not take pills. I can give you a million reasons.

ish red no longer *sad* Array nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Agree with guesswho, exercise & cognitive behavioural therapy. Many of the anxiety medication have quite a bit of side effects. You're better off not popping pills if you can get away with behavioural therapies.

If you feel a panic attack coming on, the best thing you can do is try to take deep breaths. See if you can halt your run away thoughts by asking "how am I feeling right now? what caused this? Why do I think that?", "if this happened to somebody else, how would I respond?" Once your thoughts are no longer racing, try to dig down a little bit more by asking "okay, what will happen if I messed up?" or whatever the fear might be. Think things through rationally and often times you will find that your fears maybe over exaggerated.

I had mild anxiety issues a few years back and this was what the counselor suggested. I think it helped... certainly I'm not as anxious anymore
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca