• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Medication for anxiety?

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I have been considering taking medication for anxiety, but I am concerned about side effects and the potential of never being able to get off of them.

If you have taken anxiety medications, would you say that it was helpful?

Did it cause more problems than it helped?

If you were to go back in time, would you go on the medication again, or seek alternative methods?

Also, has anyone successfully reduced anxiety through non-drug treatment?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I had a script for Zanax when I lived in NYC. I loved it. two of those and an espresso made the world just feel right

But it's very addictive, and you need more and more over time to get the same effect. So I stopped.

Aerobic exercise works. A few hours on the bike chills me out nicely.

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
I would highly advise that you not, under any circumstances, take benzodiazepines or derivatives.
Unless your anxiety literally prevents you from functioning, then it may be worth considering, but still, I dunno.

Like Nebbykoo said, they're very addictive, and the withdrawals will end up making your anxiety 100x worse than it was before you began taking it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You should ask your doctor about anti-depressants or anti-convulsants if you have severe anxiety. Benzos are a big nono, and I honestly don't think anyone should take them unless it's

A) temporary following a very traumatic situation/event

or

B) you're just totally off your rocker and can't function otherwise

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I like Xanax/Valium(sp) but don't take because of addictive potential except in very short term emergency situations. Also kinda makes you a burn out/slower mind after a while.

Exercise, meditation/hypnosis and vapor couch lock Indica buds while playing Risk on-line works better for longer term applications

I tried Welbutrine once and although it helped me cut down on cigarettes and I lost weight it made me feel even more anxious...even months after I stopped. Now I stay away from antidepressants like the plague.

Doing some simple task oriented volunteer work is relaxing and good for society such as feeding the homeless or caring for abandoned kittens helps too.

It might be seasonal depression from lack of sunlight too. If so try getting more light and SAM-e supplement from health food store

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I had a script for Zanax when I lived in NYC. I loved it. two of those and an espresso made the world just feel right

But it's very addictive, and you need more and more over time to get the same effect. So I stopped.

Aerobic exercise works. A few hours on the bike chills me out nicely.

Two xanax and an espresso is called "getting high." No wonder you felt "right."

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh that reminds me, you can talk yourself out of a panic attack if you remind yourself that you are the person in control, not your biochemistry. Think about the logistics of it, how it's nothing more than a chemical reaction.

This worked for me. I like never have panic attacks anymore, but I've also utilized other forms of treatment, like non-benzo medication. I have taken benzos before, but in isolated incidents, not as a regular, every day method of coping.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Agree with guesswho, exercise & cognitive behavioural therapy. Many of the anxiety medication have quite a bit of side effects. You're better off not popping pills if you can get away with behavioural therapies.

If you feel a panic attack coming on, the best thing you can do is try to take deep breaths. See if you can halt your run away thoughts by asking "how am I feeling right now? what caused this? Why do I think that?", "if this happened to somebody else, how would I respond?" Once your thoughts are no longer racing, try to dig down a little bit more by asking "okay, what will happen if I messed up?" or whatever the fear might be. Think things through rationally and often times you will find that your fears maybe over exaggerated.

I had mild anxiety issues a few years back and this was what the counselor suggested. I think it helped... certainly I'm not as anxious anymore :)

KDude

I would definitely recommend against Xanax. It's a terrible drug to ween yourself off of once you take it regularly. If you need to calm down, experiment with natural (and tasty) methods, like Chanomile tea.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
colorful_blueberry_bud_121.jpeg

Works for me, but YMMV.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If anxiety is severe enough chammomile tea won't work (except to calm her down a bit in certain situations) and marijuana can actually cause anxiety in some people, especially if they get too high.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If anxiety is severe enough chammomile tea won't work (except to calm her down a bit in certain situations) and marijuana can actually cause anxiety in some people, especially if they get too high.

Some kinds of bud even get me anxious. Indicas (generally more body high) tend to be better than Sativas (head highs) for relaxation. It helps if there is a legal dispensary or collective with multiple selections and a qualified staff.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Some kinds of bud even get me anxious. Indicas (generally more body high) tend to be better than Sativas (head highs) for relaxation. It helps if there is a legal dispensary or collective with multiple selections and a qualified staff.

I agree, all weed is not created equally, and I tend to think medical marijuana gives a cleaner high.

I also think that it's important to know your limit, and that if you smoke too much you might start getting nervous or whatever.

FakePlasticAlice

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've struggled with, at times, debilitating social anxiety for about 8 years - anxiety has completely ruled my life since the onset. I went down the benzodiazapine route and really regret it. I'm currently trying to free myself of the drug - first i was on Ativan (lorazepam) and a few years ago when making an attempt to quit i was switched to Valium (diazepam) because valium has the longest half-life of all the benzos making a ween possible. It's been a 5 year addiction that is HELL and i would never ever suggest it to anyone because the addiction comes on quick and the drug no longer benefits you but instead causes worse anxiety. I only suggest benzos if absolutely needed and there are no alternatives AND you can manage to only take them rarely when you're in a situation where you really have no other choice. I've yet to find something that helps my anxiety but i am beginning Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in a month or so and am remaining optimistic. Do whatever you have in your power to avoid medications like these, they can take your life away.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I take Zoloft for anxiety disorder. For me personally, it is critical to take medication in order that anxiety does not interfere with my daily life. (Specifically, anxiety/hypochondria about medical issues.... I am rarely anxious about anything else, but if I stop taking Zoloft, I start convincing myself that I have cancer, etc and start having panic attacks). Zoloft is not addictive, and I have felt much better on it. No side effects.

I also have a prescription for Xanax for "breakthrough" anxiety (I needed to take it when I actually DID have a health scare - but it all turned out okay). But I only take that very rarely, when I need it. And I almost never need more than half a dose.

I say if you feel like medication would help you, give it a try. Side effects are different for everyone, but with your doctor's guidance, you should be able to find a medication that helps.

jerlin09

Permabanned
Exercise, meditation/hypnosis and vapor couch lock Indica buds while playing Risk on-line works better for longer term applications

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
They don't have a fucking clue what happens in the brain of people suffering from anxiety. They know the main idea, the big picture. Nobody fully comprehends how the brain functions, and maybe 100 years from now, our psychiatric treatments will look as barbaric as the ones 100 years ago. The body fixes itself, better than the pills fix it. And those pills don't do one specific thing, or have one specific effect, they have multiple effects, one of them being the anxiety relief, they are basically tranquilizers, doesn't that sound barbaric? Honestly?! Hell...they'll gibe you tranquilizers for anything. And i mean it.

simpleamazement

MBTI Type
istj
Enneagram
I have been considering taking medication for anxiety, but I am concerned about side effects and the potential of never being able to get off of them.

If you have taken anxiety medications, would you say that it was helpful?

Did it cause more problems than it helped?

If you were to go back in time, would you go on the medication again, or seek alternative methods?

Also, has anyone successfully reduced anxiety through non-drug treatment?

1.) Yes, you have the right to be concerned.

2.) Yes.

3.) Yes.

4.) don't care about going back in time, I live in the present.

5.) And yes.