• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mississippi wants to ban obese people from dining out!

heart

heart on fire
It is insanity.

Maybe these same people will want to place BMI on a person's store "club card" and prevent them from being able to buy a lot of food too.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
What's next? making the doors on restaurants only so wide so only extremely thin people can't get in?

The amount of stupidity in the world never ceases to amaze me :(

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
It's a little ironic that I was just logging on here to post about a stupid law that Mississippi already has (no doubt just one of many).

Apparently, it's illegal to sell sex toys in the state. I mean, jeepers, what if someone bought something like this, and went home and used it? Possibly even with another consenting adult! (gasp!) It's a good thing that WLBT-3 is "on your side", keeping the citizens safe from threats like this.

I especially like the part about state law prohibiting the sale of "such 3-dimensional devices." Apparently, 2-dimensional and 4-dimensional devices are just fine.

So it wouldn't entirely surprise me if they actually passed this lame obesity law. Maybe they're uncomfortable with how these people emphasize the three dimensions?

Mississippi already has a stigma in the U.S. for having a poor educational system. Are they embracing this image, and trying to show us that their government values stupidity? Hey, I'm convinced.

sassafrassquatch

Cartman-751261.jpg

How would you like to suck my balls, Mississippi?

/skinny

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
From the bill itself and the article, I think the lawmaker was just trying to make a point. He probably knows the bill would be controversial and he wants people talking about health, obesity, and making smart choices.

It reminds me of the man who sued a fast food restaurant for getting him addicted to the food and causing him to become obese with all the related issues of obesity.

Unlike the sex toys in Mississippi, food and especially eating fried and otherwise fattening Southern comfort food is not only accepted but embraced and encouraged. It's part of the culture. So I don't ever see a ban on 'obese people eating' in any way, shape, or form ever passing in the South.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Obese people shouldn't be stopped going to restaurants.

They should be shot.

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Mississippi bill would ban obese from eating out - That's Fit

I found this fairly disturbing, and i think a lot of restaurants would lose quite a bit of business. I know this bill would most likely NEVER pass, but i was wondering what other people's views on this would be?
Good idea? Bad idea?

a new study came out in Holland that showed that the premise that obesity is costing the society for the health care needed to treat related illnesses such as diabetes, is false. the actual costs of taking care of "healthly" people over a longer timespan (assuming that obesity leads to early death) exceed the costs of taking care of the obese during their shorter life span.

maybe we should promote obesity to reduce costs. maybe we should increase tax rates on healthy people: "the lifespan tax". call it a tax surge.

O

Oberon

So I guess if obese Mississippians want to buy sex toys, they're just hosed right from the start?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To be honest, I think this bill is crazier than any bill approved in Texas (no offense to Texans).

And wasn't Mississippi voted as the fattest state in the country? This bill cannot be good for the state's economy. Haley Barbour needs to think about this. With all the money being made at greasy restaurants and the potential liposuction bills, your state depends on fat people!!!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From what I have read, even the man who began the bill doesn't expect it to pass, and probably would flunk his own BMI test.

He's trying to draw public attention to the issue (which is what this is doing) and get conversations started about it, in hopes people are motivated to find better solutions... sort of like why a third-party candidate runs for President even though they really have no real hope of winning.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think there has been plenty of attention drawn to the obesity issue in the united states. I don't think drawing attention to it is really going to help, it definitely might get people discussing it, but talking doesn't really drop the weight. It's up to overweight people to better their lives and most of them don't even want to.

I always watch this show on the Discovery Health Channel about these super obese people at an obese clinic trying to shed some pounds, some of them weigh over 1000 pounds and they still go against the rules and their 1200 calorie diet and order pizza or any other fast food when no one is looking. It sort of reminds me of people in drug rehab trying to get any drug they can. People are addicted to food, and that is an issue that seems to be a bit more dangerous than even drug use to me. You can stop doing drugs altogether with some rehab, but you can't stop eating altogether.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
a new study came out in Holland that showed that the premise that obesity is costing the society for the health care needed to treat related illnesses such as diabetes, is false. the actual costs of taking care of "healthly" people over a longer timespan (assuming that obesity leads to early death) exceed the costs of taking care of the obese during their shorter life span.

maybe we should promote obesity to reduce costs. maybe we should increase tax rates on healthy people: "the lifespan tax". call it a tax surge.

Did the study look into the difference between what the longer lived people produce and what the shorter lived people produce? The article in itself is not enough to say anything about whether obesity should be dealt with or not, but it seems that it may not be true anyway thanks to what the longer lived/possibly healthier people contribute vs. shorter lived people.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Obviously this law is ridiculous, but I have to say that even as an overweight person, the fat lobby really pisses me off. It reminds me of the tobacco lobby and those old commercials from the 50s where cartoon doctors would tell you that cigarettes were healthy. I concede that a limited number of people can be obese and still generally healthy, but that is overstated and exploited by the fat lobby. They may say "fat is beautiful", but ask any of them if they'd like to magically transform into a person of average size, and see how many say no. These people don't speak for me.

:soapbox:

Sorry for the derail.

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Did the study look into the difference between what the longer lived people produce and what the shorter lived people produce? The article in itself is not enough to say anything about whether obesity should be dealt with or not, but it seems that it may not be true anyway thanks to what the longer lived/possibly healthier people contribute vs. shorter lived people.

they discussed it on NPR and the objective of the study was to include all costs and contributions. you make a good point and i am not sure if that was included. let me try and dig it up.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Apart from the fact that people need food to survive, it does raise a valid point.

Go the discussion! :nice:

MBTI Type
ENTP
Obviously this law is ridiculous, but I have to say that even as an overweight person, the fat lobby really pisses me off. It reminds me of the tobacco lobby and those old commercials from the 50s where cartoon doctors would tell you that cigarettes were healthy. I concede that a limited number of people can be obese and still generally healthy, but that is overstated and exploited by the fat lobby. They may say "fat is beautiful", but ask any of them if they'd like to magically transform into a person of average size, and see how many say no. These people don't speak for me.
Good point. I'm reminded of Ricky Gervais' stand-up rant about the woman who asked him to help at a benefit for sufferers of obesity YouTube - Ricky Gervais on Fat People