• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pain black-outs

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You should ask your doctor.

I've blacked out several times after getting allergy shots. It's always the third shot that does it. It not even that it hurts. I asked about it and it was some kind of common reaction that people have. Maybe it is something like that.

The first time I started having stress headaches when I was 18, I thought I had a brain tumor. The doctor told me to take some aspirin. :)

Maybe it's nothing but you should ask somebody who knows what they are talking about - not people here.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I need to help myself because professionals won't.

Okay, well, this is good to hear. If you are going to take it into your own hands, you need to get into the right frame of mind. Problem solving and reaching goals take the same form whether you're talking about doing a world puzzle, completing a video game, or improving yourself.

First, you need a goal instead of a problem. What do you want to accomplish that your problem is keeping you from?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I need to stop being so fucking terrified of everything.

For some reason my first and foremost solution would be to break a bone, but I doubt I would get a lot of support for that, and I'm probably too much of a wimp/loser to do that.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I need to stop being so fucking terrified of everything.

For some reason my first and foremost solution would be to break a bone, but I doubt I would get a lot of support for that, and I'm probably too much of a wimp/loser to do that.

See, now you're saying things worth saying. Fear is a hell of a lot bigger opponent than pain. I get the sense that you're afraid of your future, and being able to handle expectations of you with your condition. Fear always has its root in the unkown. And I don't get the sense that you have much of an understanding of what you are capable of doing or not doing, this engenders more fear.

What is your most tangible fear at the moment? You need to narrow this down.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm more worried about afterwards.

See, quite simply, I've never been in pain before. Ever.

What do you feel would be the worst outcome from the operation?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
What do you feel would be the worst outcome from the operation?

I'm in such pain that I'm teetering on the edge of consciousness for days, I choke to death on my gauze, and just the feeling of everything getting dark is so horrible...

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm in such pain that I'm teetering on the edge of consciousness for days, I choke to death on my gauze, and just the feeling of everything getting dark is so horrible...

Do you actually believe this is a rational scenario?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, considering my usual response to what must be very mild pain.

I think you know, but it bears stating, that people need to have their wisdom teeth taken out all the time without so much as a follow up by the surgeon. Now, I know you feel that you may be a special case in this regard, but I can't honestly agree or disagree with you having only superficially chatting with you on the internet.

In any case, have you thought of what the alternative would be to not taking care of your wisdom teeth now? That would involve constant pain as well.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think you know, but it bears stating, that people need to have their wisdom teeth taken out all the time without so much as a follow up by the surgeon. Now, I know you feel that you may be a special case in this regard, but I can't honestly agree or disagree with you having only superficially chatting with you on the internet.

In any case, have you thought of what the alternative would be to not taking care of your wisdom teeth now? That would involve constant pain as well.

I'm getting so fearful I'm thinking of yanking out my teeth with pliers.

I have pliers now.

I must be a special case considering that I faint when trying to pick up glassware. This is not normal. None of my responses are normal. There's something very, very, very wrong with me, but there must be nothing wrong with me, because there are no obvious signs except constant fainting at very mild pain, so all that must mean is that I'm a wuss and people refuse to help weaklings like me. Why should they help, anyway?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm getting so fearful I'm thinking of yanking out my teeth with pliers.

I have pliers now.

I must be a special case considering that I faint when trying to pick up glassware. This is not normal. None of my responses are normal. There's something very, very, very wrong with me, but there must be nothing wrong with me, because there are no obvious signs except constant fainting at very mild pain, so all that must mean is that I'm a wuss and people refuse to help weaklings like me. Why should they help, anyway?

Haph, do you understand that I really don't know you other than as some guy on the Internet. You are asking for help or understanding, or something.. so I'm giving it a shot, but here are the facts I have from interacting with you.

1. A majority of your posts are to talk about your fear and uncertanty and pain.
2. You claim to black out and faint under secific circumstances.
3. Either you have not consulted with Doctors/Mental Health professionals, or you have and they have either found nothing wrong, or you have refused treatment.
4. Most of people's advice to your 'requests for help' are usually deflected by you.

The only thing I can conclude is that you may have problems, but it seems that you don't want to take the steps to solve them. How exactly are you expecting someone else to to help you with your wisdom tooth situation? Are you primarily asking for sympathy?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
They keep telling me that I'm wasting their time.

All the doctors tell me to see a therapist and all the therapists tell me to see a doctor.

Pretty much everyone else's responses are to go see a professional or to man up, both of which are impossible for me.

You see it, you hear it, you feel it, but they just keep saying that nothing's there. Should I believe them? Am I actually in pain? Is it real at all?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They keep telling me that I'm wasting their time.

All the doctors tell me to see a therapist and all the therapists tell me to see a doctor.

Pretty much everyone else's responses are to go see a professional or to man up, both of which are impossible for me.

You see it, you hear it, you feel it, but they just keep saying that nothing's there. Should I believe them? Am I actually in pain? Is it real at all?

As I mentioned before, pain exists, but it's not the same as damage. And each person experiences pain subjectively. Pain is an unpleasant feeling, but it doesn't always indicate bad things. Pain and discomfort, physical and mental, always accompany changes for the better.

So, you're so fearful that you indicate you'd be willing to pull a tooth out right now with pliers, and without anasthesia. To me that sounds unmistakingly more like a plea for sympathy.

Are you being honest when you claim that therapists refer you back to doctors, because this sounds terribly unlikely to me.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It's true.

I just want to get it over with. I've tried to cut my gums but it's difficult.

I am being honest.

Everyone doubts everything I say, so I should doubt it is true because everything I say is so unlikely that I can't possibly be correct. Right?

I don't even want sympathy.

I just want someone to believe me. Because right now I can't even believe myself.

And maybe somebody to keep me from drowning in my own blood because of my unconsciousness would be nice.

But nobody believes me so nobody will help me...

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's true.

I just want to get it over with. I've tried to cut my gums but it's difficult.

I am being honest.

Everyone doubts everything I say, so I should doubt it is true because everything I say is so unlikely that I can't possibly be correct. Right?

I don't even want sympathy.

I just want someone to believe me. Because right now I can't even believe myself.

And maybe somebody to keep me from drowning in my own blood because of my unconsciousness would be nice.

But nobody believes me so nobody will help me...

Have you considered seeing professional help for just dealing with fear, I know you wouldn't be turrned away for that and it would help you.

Okay, here's how I see it: Either you have a very rare medical condition that is so far undiagnosable and will be extremely dangerous to day to day life in the future. Or, you are capable of dealing with a lot more than you think you are.

The medical and mental health professionals have no concerns of the operations. You are concerned with how you might live with your problem in the future. Go through with the opreration, recovery from anasthesia is monitored, and make sure you have family with you afterward and tell them of your fear. Your condition should be evident immediately when you are within help (i.e. no choking). I personally don't believe you are at risk, and I think you will be surprised with yourself.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Have you considered seeing professional help for just dealing with fear, I know you wouldn't be turrned away for that and it would help you.

I've tried. I've really tried. The way they look at me, I would say they look at me like I'm crazy, but because they deal with crazy people all the time, I'm guessing it's more they look at me like I'm stupid.

Because I guess I am.

It probably has to do with vasovagal responses and horrifically sensitive nerves and the probably trauma to compound everything.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
See a doctor and a therapist. Tell each that the other is taking care of one issue and you need them to take care of another. Speak loudly and slowly if they fob you off. Be persistent (but also listen to what they tell you and don't keep going, "yeah but..."). You need help for a lot of different things that you cannot get from the internet.

As for your original question: pain is relative. Different types of pain affect different people in different ways.